The M - Spot General discussion for the M35/M45

M37 7speed transmission reprogram...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Hedgehog25

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tech37
Yes...there is a slight increase in RPMs before the actual shift but the update address all of that...you will have firmer, crisper shifts.
Okay, that sounds good! I just wasn't sure if it might indicate an actual mechanical problem with the engine/transmission whenever the RPMs actually dip down to an even lesser value after upshifting to a higher gear, than they were at in a lower gear (e.g., 2.5k RPM in 3rd, but dropping to 2k RPM in 4th). I actually saw a video posted by a guy on the G37 forum whose '10 G37x was doing that to a more severe degree (dropping revs with each successive upshift), and he ended up getting a new transmission under warranty.

It's funny.... sometimes I think it's all in my head, because I guess pretty much any AT is going to make shifts you can "feel" to a certain degree. I think the problem is that, since I've never driven any other cars in my life aside from a Chevy S-10 and a Chrysler PT Cruiser, I really have no idea what "normal" shifts in a sports car like the M37 should feel like.

When it comes to the lag like what occurred during the situation I experienced the other day when I tried to take-off quickly from a dead-stop and experienced a brief second of not moving, it seems like it's more of a "come and go" situation. In other words, even though I experienced the lag issue during that incident, there have been other times when I've punched the accelerator and the car has taken off instantly, like I'd expect it to. For you guys who have had the TCM update applied to your cars..... before you had the update applied, did you experience these issues (accel lag, weird shifts) on an intermittent basis, or did they essentially occur during every moment of driving?
Old 11-16-2014, 10:55 AM
tech37

Originally Posted by Hedgehog25
Okay, that sounds good! I just wasn't sure if it might indicate an actual mechanical problem with the engine/transmission whenever the RPMs actually dip down to an even lesser value after upshifting to a higher gear, than they were at in a lower gear (e.g., 2.5k RPM in 3rd, but dropping to 2k RPM in 4th). I actually saw a video posted by a guy on the G37 forum whose '10 G37x was doing that to a more severe degree (dropping revs with each successive upshift), and he ended up getting a new transmission under warranty.

It's funny.... sometimes I think it's all in my head, because I guess pretty much any AT is going to make shifts you can "feel" to a certain degree. I think the problem is that, since I've never driven any other cars in my life aside from a Chevy S-10 and a Chrysler PT Cruiser, I really have no idea what "normal" shifts in a sports car like the M37 should feel like.

When it comes to the lag like what occurred during the situation I experienced the other day when I tried to take-off quickly from a dead-stop and experienced a brief second of not moving, it seems like it's more of a "come and go" situation. In other words, even though I experienced the lag issue during that incident, there have been other times when I've punched the accelerator and the car has taken off instantly, like I'd expect it to. For you guys who have had the TCM update applied to your cars..... before you had the update applied, did you experience these issues (accel lag, weird shifts) on an intermittent basis, or did they essentially occur during every moment of driving?
Well anything can be mechanical...for that car you have to know if the update was applied first or if the transmission was replaced first. The update took a while to come out. Also, for the most part the G drivers are a different group...more mods....younger...and are driving faster and harder...things are more likely to break because they aren't quite working right....the M crowd is usually older...doesn't drive as aggressively as the G group hence why they wouldn't notice all the shifting issues and tech issues....they got them cause they could and wanted features....
So get the update done before you leave to go home take a drive in that area and see what you think after the update. If you still aren't happy take it back and have them look at it some more....
Old 11-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Hedgehog25

Just out of curiosity, do you guys notice a somewhat harsh downshift (e.g., a "thump") when accelerating in standard mode from a dead stop to, say, 50 MPH?

Also, when slowly accelerating from a stop in standard mode (such as when leaving a stoplight), do any of you guys ever notice that the car just doesn't want to really accelerate that fast, unless you really jam the pedal down?

I'm going to the dealership on Thursday to get these software updates applied, but I was just wondering if you guys noticed these... " quirks" even after having applied the update.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:13 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do you guys notice a somewhat harsh downshift (e.g., a "thump") when accelerating in standard mode from a dead stop to, say, 50 MPH?

Also, when slowly accelerating from a stop in standard mode (such as when leaving a stoplight), do any of you guys ever notice that the car just doesn't want to really accelerate that fast, unless you really jam the pedal down?

I'm going to the dealership on Thursday to get these software updates applied, but I was just wondering if you guys noticed these... " quirks" even after having applied the update.
"Just out of curiosity, do you guys notice a somewhat harsh downshift (e.g., a "thump") when accelerating in standard mode from a dead stop to, say, 50 MPH?"

Why would it downshift if accelerating?

"Also, when slowly accelerating from a stop in standard mode (such as when leaving a stoplight), do any of you guys ever notice that the car just doesn't want to really accelerate that fast, unless you really jam the pedal down?"

Not really ... it doesn't "jump" away from the line but there does seem to be a lull spot but I attributed that to our poor torque engines. It all depends on what you feel normal acceleration is. I see so many people just jump on their cars when the light turns green only to have to apply the brakes hard 1000ft down the road at the next red light. Makes zero sense to me. Those are the same people wondering why they get such crappy mileage.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:30 PM
tech37

Like I said before....this isn't the smoothest transmission by far but it is well built....strong internals...

I'll say it...if I had to compare it to my GS350....id say it seems lost at time and doesn't shift as smoothly.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Hedgehog25

Well, I ended up canceling my service appointment at the dealership due to just being busy with stuff, but I found out about a new Infiniti dealership to go to that might be an easier drive, so I'll probably make an appointment with them instead soon.

Just wanted to ask if anyone else had noticed yet another "quirk," LOL. When accelerating slowly, has anyone noticed that sometimes after shifting into 4th gear, the car will basically shake back and forth maybe 3 times? It's not actually a violent shake or rumble, but instead it feels like the car almost lurches back and forth a few quick times (again, usually just after shifting to 4th or maybe 5th). Just wanted to make sure this is a normal occurrence.....

(It almost kind of feels like an engine belt comes loose for a second or two, if that helps people recognize what I'm talking about)

Last edited by Hedgehog25; 11-21-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:39 PM
tech37

The 7 spd transmission is not the smoothest and consistent shifting transmission out there but it is reliable. I am driving a brand new QX80 right now for a loaner while my QX is in for service and it shifts just as funny at times as my M and QX....all I can say is that the TCM update will help and address some of the issues you are having but if you are expecting it to not be quirky at times you are going to be disappointed. I seems that you are trying to make it due certain things but if it was my car I wouldn't have waited this long and would be gentle on it. Schedule an appointment and get it done ASAP....and get a loner car while you are at it that you can thrash and have fun with.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:58 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
My transmission has been smooth thus far (about 3K miles) and it behaves as I would expect any modern AT to. No tickling, no rumbling, no kicking in any gear. It's good for what it is. I would rather a 6MT but just enjoy the car itself otherwise.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Hedgehog25

Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
My transmission has been smooth thus far (about 3K miles) and it behaves as I would expect any modern AT to. No tickling, no rumbling, no kicking in any gear. It's good for what it is. I would rather a 6MT but just enjoy the car itself otherwise.
Hmmm... then maybe I'm just going out of my way to notice these weird "triple shifts" (I.e., the sensation I described in my previous post of hesitating back-and-forth for a second or two). Also, to answer tech37, I'm not trying to get it to do anything special, just driving around town.

However, I definitely notice a hard/rough shift usually at least once per driving trip. It is very noticeable when it happens because it feels like something almost kicks or bangs underneath the car. Hopefully the software update will fix these issues, like tech37 said (also, hopefully 40k miles of this wasn't enough to damage the transmission mechanically, because is it really healthy for even a reliably-built transmission to function like this?).
Old 11-22-2014, 07:35 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Aren't you still under power train warranty? Just take it in and tell them everything you are experiencing, get it documented for CYA.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:32 PM
tech37

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Aren't you still under power train warranty? Just take it in and tell them everything you are experiencing, get it documented for CYA.
Bingo! Take it in...get it documented...and go from there....but don't keep postponing it...because they will use that against you...
Old 11-22-2014, 10:39 PM
Hedgehog25

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Yep, still got ~2.5 years left on the powertrain warranty, but hopefully it's only a software issue. I'll be taking it in to the other dealership I mentioned sometime during the week after Thanksgiving. The only thing I'm afraid of, though, is that since the dealership I'll be taking to is pretty new (it was just built a couple months ago), there's a chance that they won't even be familiar with any of the TCB or other software updates. LOL
Old 11-22-2014, 11:08 PM
tech37

Yep, still got ~2.5 years left on the powertrain warranty, but hopefully it's only a software issue. I'll be taking it in to the other dealership I mentioned sometime during the week after Thanksgiving. The only thing I'm afraid of, though, is that since the dealership I'll be taking to is pretty new (it was just built a couple months ago), there's a chance that they won't even be familiar with any of the TCB or other software updates. LOL
They all have to go to some training so I'm sure they are aware of it...all 7spd have the same issue...so you are talking about the G, M, FX, and QX....
Old 11-25-2014, 03:32 PM
Hedgehog25

BTW -- what do you guys think about doing my first oil change at a Nissan dealership? The local dealership in my area is apparently one of the only ones in the region with a service dep't. that is "officially" approved by Nissan to perform ALL maintenance and repairs on the GT-R, so I figure these guys are qualified to do an oil change on the VQ37, LOL. I've only driven the car for a few hundred miles since buying it, but I definitely want to get that done, at least.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:43 PM
tech37

If it was me I'd just let the Infiniti dealership do it...one reason is to build a relationship with them because all the Nissan dealership is allowed to do is light maintenance...(oil changes, tire rotations, and some fluid changes) The second reason is that the inspection checklist is more detailed on the Infiniti side....third...since its just an oil change you will most likely have some teenage or 20 year old kid doing the oil change with greasy clothes on. I know my dealership uses steering wheel and seat covers before they drive the car to the service bay. Keeps the interior free of greasy fingerprints.

Quick Reply: M37 7speed transmission reprogram...