The M - Spot General discussion for the M35/M45

M37 7speed transmission reprogram...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 01:08 AM
tech37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hedgehog25
So I called up the closest Infiniti dealership (about 1.5 hrs away) and told them I was curious as to whether or not my car had received the latest TCM (and any other) updates. They ran my car's VIN # and said that "all recalls" had already been applied to the car (she specifically mentioned the Bluetooth recall and maybe one other). However, when I specifically told her that I was trying to determine whether the car was up-to-date regarding software flashes/updates, she basically kept saying that there were no existing recalls for the car, blah blah blah. Finally, she accepted that she didn't really know what I was talking about and transferred me to a service technician... who, of course, didn't answer his phone.

I'm going to call back tomorrow and see if I can talk directly with a service technician, but man, this is frustrating. I just want to see if they can run my VIN through some sort of database (as eljoker was kind enough to do for me) to make 100% sure that my car hasn't received the TCM updates, but they apparently don't even know what I'm talking about.

Can anyone verify that the specific TCM update that needs to be applied to my car is described by ITB 12-021A? In other words, if they follow the steps outlined in the ITB 12-021A document, will my car be ready to drive (and shift!) like a true M37?

The reason I ask is because I read somewhere on the G37 forum that, apparently, some of these TCM software updates weren't released under the banner of an "official" TSB. Or, to put it another way, certain TCM software updates have apparently been released for the G37 in recent years, but they haven't been documented as specific TSBs. I just want to make sure that, even if they do download the ITB 12-021A update to my car, there actually isn't an even more recent update that I should've gotten instead.

BTW, tech37, my car is under the 4 year/60k limited warranty until at least this May, so I shouldn't have to pay anything for this.
I'll look for my invoice in the morning to see what number is on it...I really do think it was the same update applied to my QX that I posted earlier....but i'll double check...

That's because she really didn't know what she was talking about. There are not going to show up like a recall. I know if you give them your VIN they can pull up all the service records to see if there was ever one written for an update but I was told that they have to actually hook your vehicle up to the Consult III+ tool to see if they have a new update for your car or if what you have is current....

Last edited by tech37; 11-14-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:26 AM
Hedgehog25

Originally Posted by tech37
I'll look for my invoice in the morning to see what number is on it...I really do think it was the same update applied to my QX that I posted earlier....but i'll double check...

That's because she really didn't know what she was talking about. There are not going to show up like a recall. I know if you give them your VIN they can pull up all the service records to see if there was ever one written for an update but I was told that they have to actually hook your vehicle up to the Consult III+ tool to see if they have a new update for your car or if what you have is current....
Thanks for offering to check your invoice, it will be interesting to see if it's the same update (I thought the QX SUVs had different transmissions, though?). Hopefully the update won't require spending more than 20-30 minutes at the dealership. Maybe they'll give me a loaner? LOL
Old 11-14-2014, 10:08 AM
tech37

Thanks for offering to check your invoice, it will be interesting to see if it's the same update (I thought the QX SUVs had different transmissions, though?). Hopefully the update won't require spending more than 20-30 minutes at the dealership. Maybe they'll give me a loaner? LOL
I was in a hurry this morning and forgot...but I called my dealership and had them send me the service history...the complaint that I gave them was hesitation from transmission when taking off from a stop and when causing a downshift...bulletin ITB12-021B....hope that helps...

I think they told me an hour....if you request a loaner im sure they will accommodate you if they have one available.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Hedgehog25

I was in a hurry this morning and forgot...but I called my dealership and had them send me the service history...the complaint that I gave them was hesitation from transmission when taking off from a stop and when causing a downshift...bulletin ITB12-021B....hope that helps...

I think they told me an hour....if you request a loaner im sure they will accommodate you if they have one available.
Thanks, that helps a lot. It looks like I'll be scheduling an appointment to travel to the dealership sometime next week.

In you guys' opinions, should I have them do the full "Dealer Recommended" service? Or would I be just as well-off to have a local mechanic perform those basic maintenance aspects and just let the Infiniti dealership apply the TCM flash? If I just let the dealership do their "Recommended" service, does anyone have any idea how much this costs? (I checked the dealership's website but only found a list of the services they perform for this -- no prices).

When I talked to the dealership over the phone, they looked-up my VIN and said it had been maintained at an Infiniti dealership for the first 27-28k miles (the car has 40k miles), but that they didn't have any maintenance records after that. Hopefully they won't be denying warranty coverage based on this.

On a related note, it looks like I'll also be able to get my steering wheel fixed under warranty since it appears to have the peeling issue. The leather around the wheel itself isn't peeling, but the thin plastic-looking membrane around the cruise control, volume, etc. buttons is. Just out of random curiosity, what do they replace for this? Just the clear plastic/membrane cover?
Old 11-14-2014, 04:45 PM
tech37

Thanks, that helps a lot. It looks like I'll be scheduling an appointment to travel to the dealership sometime next week.

In you guys' opinions, should I have them do the full "Dealer Recommended" service? Or would I be just as well-off to have a local mechanic perform those basic maintenance aspects and just let the Infiniti dealership apply the TCM flash? If I just let the dealership do their "Recommended" service, does anyone have any idea how much this costs? (I checked the dealership's website but only found a list of the services they perform for this -- no prices).

When I talked to the dealership over the phone, they looked-up my VIN and said it had been maintained at an Infiniti dealership for the first 27-28k miles (the car has 40k miles), but that they didn't have any maintenance records after that. Hopefully they won't be denying warranty coverage based on this.

On a related note, it looks like I'll also be able to get my steering wheel fixed under warranty since it appears to have the peeling issue. The leather around the wheel itself isn't peeling, but the thin plastic-looking membrane around the cruise control, volume, etc. buttons is. Just out of random curiosity, what do they replace for this? Just the clear plastic/membrane cover?
It depends....i like building a relationship with my dealership...it pays off for me...I get my M serviced every 3750...I bring my own oil and it cost me about $30 plus the cost of my oil...my relationship with my dealer is more important than saving a few dollars on an oil change and tire rotation. You really won't have an expensive service until you get to 60k...they told me it's about $720 including the transmission fluid change which I requested.

It's not a base model Toyota, Honda, or Nissan...parts when they break are expensive on this car...so i'll feed them because I know they will go to bat for me....they already have.

The finisher as they call it was peeling on mine on the left side and they replaced both of mine...they replace the entire piece of plastic...but not the switches or the steering wheel.

And by the way...the QX and M37 share the same transmission it's just a lil beefier...lol
Old 11-14-2014, 07:14 PM
Hedgehog25

It depends....i like building a relationship with my dealership...it pays off for me...I get my M serviced every 3750...I bring my own oil and it cost me about $30 plus the cost of my oil...my relationship with my dealer is more important than saving a few dollars on an oil change and tire rotation. You really won't have an expensive service until you get to 60k...they told me it's about $720 including the transmission fluid change which I requested.

It's not a base model Toyota, Honda, or Nissan...parts when they break are expensive on this car...so i'll feed them because I know they will go to bat for me....they already have.

The finisher as they call it was peeling on mine on the left side and they replaced both of mine...they replace the entire piece of plastic...but not the switches or the steering wheel.

And by the way...the QX and M37 share the same transmission it's just a lil beefier...lol
Alright, it's settled -- I'll be making the drive to the dealership next week to have the recommended maintenance service performed.

One other thing I think might be relevant to mention here. Earlier tonight, I was coming to a stop at a redlight, and under the car (basically directly under the driver's seat), I felt a vibration/shudder, almost like I was driving over rumble strips. This also occurred the other day, except I was actually slowly accelerating when it happened then. On the two occasions it has done this, it actually feels like a series of shudders that happens for a few seconds at a time. I thought it might be the brakes, but like I said, the sensation seems to be felt almost directly under the driver's seat.

I did a quick Google search and discovered that the issue is somewhat prevalent in Toyota Tundras and 4-runners, and most of those owners ended up having their transmissions replaced.

Has anyone else experienced this before? If so, does anyone know what causes it (I.e., software vs. mechanical issue)?
Old 11-14-2014, 09:14 PM
tech37

Alright, it's settled -- I'll be making the drive to the dealership next week to have the recommended maintenance service performed.

One other thing I think might be relevant to mention here. Earlier tonight, I was coming to a stop at a redlight, and under the car (basically directly under the driver's seat), I felt a vibration/shudder, almost like I was driving over rumble strips. This also occurred the other day, except I was actually slowly accelerating when it happened then. On the two occasions it has done this, it actually feels like a series of shudders that happens for a few seconds at a time. I thought it might be the brakes, but like I said, the sensation seems to be felt almost directly under the driver's seat.

I did a quick Google search and discovered that the issue is somewhat prevalent in Toyota Tundras and 4-runners, and most of those owners ended up having their transmissions replaced.

Has anyone else experienced this before? If so, does anyone know what causes it (I.e., software vs. mechanical issue)?
Hmmmm....never heard that before in an M but I truly think you will be much happier once you get the update. Make sure you tell them everything you are concerned about.

I don't remember but is yours AWD? I know that they typically will have more vibrations at times just cause you have more drivetrain parts...
Old 11-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Hedgehog25

Hmmmm....never heard that before in an M but I truly think you will be much happier once you get the update. Make sure you tell them everything you are concerned about.

I don't remember but is yours AWD? I know that they typically will have more vibrations at times just cause you have more drivetrain parts...
Yep, mine is an M37x. I live in the southeast and don't need AWD, but it seemed like it was taking forever to find a Harbor Blue M37 RWD with the Deluxe Touring package at the auction, so I finally just decided to pull the trigger on the one I have now, despite it being AWD.

I did some more research on the shuddering, and it sounds like it could be the torque converter... ? I think that during both drives in which I experienced the shudder, I was in sport mode, so maybe that had something to do with it?
Old 11-14-2014, 10:24 PM
tech37

Yep, mine is an M37x. I live in the southeast and don't need AWD, but it seemed like it was taking forever to find a Harbor Blue M37 RWD with the Deluxe Touring package at the auction, so I finally just decided to pull the trigger on the one I have now, despite it being AWD.

I did some more research on the shuddering, and it sounds like it could be the torque converter... ? I think that during both drives in which I experienced the shudder, I was in sport mode, so maybe that had something to do with it?
Could be but sometimes it has to do with the solenoid operation on the valve body. Like I said I would just mention all of this to the SA and see if they will let a tech ride with you so you can show them all your concerns.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:35 PM
Hedgehog25

Could be but sometimes it has to do with the solenoid operation on the valve body. Like I said I would just mention all of this to the SA and see if they will let a tech ride with you so you can show them all your concerns.
Hmmmm, is it common to have to replace the solenoid on these cars? Or is that just normal functioning? Either way, I'm glad it will all be covered under warranty!
Old 11-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Dreaming tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can 2012 g37 coupe a/t transmission could be change to zf 7 speed dual clutch transmission and will it fit on g37 coupe...?
Old 11-15-2014, 10:20 PM
tech37

Originally Posted by Dreaming tree
Can 2012 g37 coupe a/t transmission could be change to zf 7 speed dual clutch transmission and will it fit on g37 coupe...?
I doubt it...you are talking about a lot of money, mods, and work....but you can contact ZF and ask them but unless you are doing some kind of special build I doubt you will see any significant gain...
Old 11-15-2014, 10:23 PM
tech37

Hmmmm, is it common to have to replace the solenoid on these cars? Or is that just normal functioning? Either way, I'm glad it will all be covered under warranty!
Nope...not common at all...solenoids are what open and close to allow the transmission to change gear. It allows line pressure to activate the clutches and stuff...like I said....i am willing to bet that your issues will go away after the updates.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:51 PM
Hedgehog25

Nope...not common at all...solenoids are what open and close to allow the transmission to change gear. It allows line pressure to activate the clutches and stuff...like I said....i am willing to bet that your issues will go away after the updates.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to having it done. I'm just curious about something, though.... when driving, is it considered normal behavior for the RPMs to increase as the transmission gets closer to shifting to the next gear, and when it finally shifts to the next gear, to decrease RPMs by ~0.5k, or sometimes to even fewer RPMs than it was holding at in the previous gear? In other words, is it normal for the engine to be revving in 3rd gear at 2 - 2.5k RPMs, then rev up to around 3k RPM as it gets closer to shifting to 4th, and when it finally does shift to 4th, drop back to 2.5k RPMs, or even as low as 2k? Just curious
Old 11-16-2014, 12:10 AM
tech37

Yeah, I'm looking forward to having it done. I'm just curious about something, though.... when driving, is it considered normal behavior for the RPMs to increase as the transmission gets closer to shifting to the next gear, and when it finally shifts to the next gear, to decrease RPMs by ~0.5k, or sometimes to even fewer RPMs than it was holding at in the previous gear? In other words, is it normal for the engine to be revving in 3rd gear at 2 - 2.5k RPMs, then rev up to around 3k RPM as it gets closer to shifting to 4th, and when it finally does shift to 4th, drop back to 2.5k RPMs, or even as low as 2k? Just curious
Yes...there is a slight increase in RPMs before the actual shift but the update address all of that...you will have firmer, crisper shifts.

Quick Reply: M37 7speed transmission reprogram...