The M - Spot General discussion for the M35/M45

M37 7speed transmission reprogram...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Hedgehog25

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tech37
When are you going to take the car in? I would do it asap if I was concerned as you appear to be. It is a quirky transmission that doesn't act nearly as smooth as my GS350 but it's crisp in the high RPM range. The longer you wait the less you chances are for getting goodwill.
I'm not planning on waiting near this long, but since I still have a couple years left on the powertrain warranty, wouldn't I be covered? In other words, since I still have 30k or 2.5 years left on it, isn't the goodwill thing a non-issue?

BTW, just curious about something here. Do you know if there is a correlation between shifting smoothness and life of a transmission, in general? In other words, is a smooth-shifting transmission, such as your GS, likely to last for more miles than one that shifts more jerky/erratically? Or do some transmissions just function normally like that and are likely to last just as long?
Old 11-13-2014, 01:17 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Downshift rev matching is controlled by the BCM, regardless of whether you are in sport or standard, if it deems it is appropriate, it will do it.

I have seen 2 Gs in the 300k miles with no issues. Just remember to do your flushes and inspections.

Last edited by eljoker; 11-13-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:37 PM
tech37

Originally Posted by Hedgehog25
I'm not planning on waiting near this long, but since I still have a couple years left on the powertrain warranty, wouldn't I be covered? In other words, since I still have 30k or 2.5 years left on it, isn't the goodwill thing a non-issue?

BTW, just curious about something here. Do you know if there is a correlation between shifting smoothness and life of a transmission, in general? In other words, is a smooth-shifting transmission, such as your GS, likely to last for more miles than one that shifts more jerky/erratically? Or do some transmissions just function normally like that and are likely to last just as long?
Powertrain warranty can be tricky...if it an TCM reflash or update it might not be covered. Powertrain warranty usually covers mechanical but Infiniti's warranty is pretty good so it might cover the TCM as well...

As far as the Lexus goes...it seems imperative that you have the fluid changed at 100k....soon after solenoid issues seem to appear. Other than that seems to be good...its all because of all this damn lifetime transmission fluid...no need to service them and the dealership finally are recommending having it changed at 100k....which is still too long...I'm having mine changed at 60k.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Hedgehog25

Originally Posted by tech37
Powertrain warranty can be tricky...if it an TCM reflash or update it might not be covered. Powertrain warranty usually covers mechanical but Infiniti's warranty is pretty good so it might cover the TCM as well...

As far as the Lexus goes...it seems imperative that you have the fluid changed at 100k....soon after solenoid issues seem to appear. Other than that seems to be good...its all because of all this damn lifetime transmission fluid...no need to service them and the dealership finally are recommending having it changed at 100k....which is still too long...I'm having mine changed at 60k.
Part of me says that I should have gotten a Lexus for the reliability, but if you read the reliability surveys published by Consumer Reports, they show that a lot of the '06 - '11 GS's have been having major engine issues and having to have their engines replaced. Also... the car just doesn't have that sculpted, eye-catching look of the Infiniti! LOL
Old 11-13-2014, 03:16 PM
Hedgehog25

Originally Posted by eljoker
Downshift rev matching is controlled by the BCM, regardless of whether you are in sport or standard, if it deems it is appropriate, it will do it.

I have seen 2 Gs in the 300k miles with no issues. Just remember to do your flushes and inspections.
Oh okay, thanks for informing me; I didn't know that rev-matching occurred outside of Sport mode as well. I hope it was just rev matching, but it felt so weird.... like when I accelerated, the engine revved pretty loudly, and then the whole body of the car just kind of jolted forward (but not really a lurch), like it couldn't keep up or something.

Just out of curiosity, are the 2 Gs you've seen with 300k miles G37s with the current 7-spd transmission?

BTW, can you confirm that I can reset the ECU by unplugging the battery cables for a few hours? I would like for it to start "re-learning" my driving habits since I'm the new owner of the car, but I don't want to erase any TCM updates the previous owner might have had applied (which it doesn't seem like any were applied in the first place).
Old 11-13-2014, 03:32 PM
eljoker

Oh okay, thanks for informing me; I didn't know that rev-matching occurred outside of Sport mode as well. I hope it was just rev matching, but it felt so weird.... like when I accelerated, the engine revved pretty loudly, and then the whole body of the car just kind of jolted forward (but not really a lurch), like it couldn't keep up or something.

Just out of curiosity, are the 2 Gs you've seen with 300k miles G37s with the current 7-spd transmission?

BTW, can you confirm that I can reset the ECU by unplugging the battery cables for a few hours? I would like for it to start "re-learning" my driving habits since I'm the new owner of the car, but I don't want to erase any TCM updates the previous owner might have had applied (which it doesn't seem like any were applied in the first place).
Yes, 7 speed transmissions. Countless of G37/M37s/FX35/EX35 with over 100 plus.

Not sure if you need to do it for a few hours but I think this should help you
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...isconnect.html
Old 11-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Hedgehog25

Yes, 7 speed transmissions. Countless of G37/M37s/FX35/EX35 with over 100 plus.

Not sure if you need to do it for a few hours but I think this should help you
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...isconnect.html
Thanks for the link, I'll go try that method in a few minutes!

It will be interesting to hear what the guys at the Infiniti dealership you work at find when they run my VIN. LOL, I have a feeling the previous owner didn't go in to have any TCM updates applied (or at least, not the most recent one), but I could be wrong....
Old 11-13-2014, 05:19 PM
tech37

Part of me says that I should have gotten a Lexus for the reliability, but if you read the reliability surveys published by Consumer Reports, they show that a lot of the '06 - '11 GS's have been having major engine issues and having to have their engines replaced. Also... the car just doesn't have that sculpted, eye-catching look of the Infiniti! LOL
The only engine that has had major issues have been the 300 from the 06 GS. They have a carbon build up issue and an oil consumption issue. But Lexus did a decent job by giving them 9 yrs to have the engine rebuilt or replaced if they meet the criteria. My 08 GS 350 has been trouble free...I did get the two recalls done...one for the valve springs and the other for the VVT cam actuator. I also got a check for $500 and a rebate for $1500 on a new car that I didn't use...lol

It's funny that you say that...mine are both silver and I look at both like hmmm...they are really to different vehicles so I see why people tend to like one and dislike the other...lol
Old 11-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Hedgehog25

Well, eljoker had the guys at his Infiniti dealership run my VIN, and there is no record whatsoever of any of the transmission updates having been applied. So unless the previous owner's dealership just wasn't recording the updates in their database, that should explain all the weird transmission behavior I've been noticing.

I actually came close to having a wreck just a few minutes ago because I needed to accelerate quickly to merge into a lane, but when I punched the gas, the engine just revved but the car didn't move, and a second later, the car finally moved. It's amazing that the previous owner of the car never had any close calls like this.
The following users liked this post:
eljoker (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 06:27 PM
eljoker

It was a lease. I ran the car fax too.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:50 PM
BPVIP
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by next_G35_owner
Thank goodness..For us 2011-2012 M37/56 owners, the transmission update (ITB12-021) is available..I will be scheduling my appointment.
Is this a free service?
Old 11-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Hedgehog25

It was a lease. I ran the car fax too.
Haha, thanks for running the CarFax. Just out of curiosity, did everything check out with that in terms of the car being maintained, no accidents, etc.?
Old 11-13-2014, 10:37 PM
tech37

Originally Posted by BPVIP
Is this a free service?
It depends....i know for a fact if you are still under the 4yr/60k factory warranty it is...the 6yr/70k powertrain....not sure...and if it was CPO or you have an extended Infiniti warranty it should be.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:41 PM
tech37

Well, eljoker had the guys at his Infiniti dealership run my VIN, and there is no record whatsoever of any of the transmission updates having been applied. So unless the previous owner's dealership just wasn't recording the updates in their database, that should explain all the weird transmission behavior I've been noticing.

I actually came close to having a wreck just a few minutes ago because I needed to accelerate quickly to merge into a lane, but when I punched the gas, the engine just revved but the car didn't move, and a second later, the car finally moved. It's amazing that the previous owner of the car never had any close calls like this.
Yeah....i guess a lot of people who get these barely drive them and never get over in front of someone...they just go for a stroll...lol

I would use the approach of it being a safety hazards....they would definitely good will that...can see how they wouldn't...
Old 11-13-2014, 11:46 PM
Hedgehog25

So I called up the closest Infiniti dealership (about 1.5 hrs away) and told them I was curious as to whether or not my car had received the latest TCM (and any other) updates. They ran my car's VIN # and said that "all recalls" had already been applied to the car (she specifically mentioned the Bluetooth recall and maybe one other). However, when I specifically told her that I was trying to determine whether the car was up-to-date regarding software flashes/updates, she basically kept saying that there were no existing recalls for the car, blah blah blah. Finally, she accepted that she didn't really know what I was talking about and transferred me to a service technician... who, of course, didn't answer his phone.

I'm going to call back tomorrow and see if I can talk directly with a service technician, but man, this is frustrating. I just want to see if they can run my VIN through some sort of database (as eljoker was kind enough to do for me) to make 100% sure that my car hasn't received the TCM updates, but they apparently don't even know what I'm talking about.

Can anyone verify that the specific TCM update that needs to be applied to my car is described by ITB 12-021A? In other words, if they follow the steps outlined in the ITB 12-021A document, will my car be ready to drive (and shift!) like a true M37?

The reason I ask is because I read somewhere on the G37 forum that, apparently, some of these TCM software updates weren't released under the banner of an "official" TSB. Or, to put it another way, certain TCM software updates have apparently been released for the G37 in recent years, but they haven't been documented as specific TSBs. I just want to make sure that, even if they do download the ITB 12-021A update to my car, there actually isn't an even more recent update that I should've gotten instead.

BTW, tech37, my car is under the 4 year/60k limited warranty until at least this May, so I shouldn't have to pay anything for this.

Quick Reply: M37 7speed transmission reprogram...