The M - Spot General discussion for the M35/M45

M37 7speed transmission reprogram...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:34 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
We bought our G from a Nissan dealership and it came with 3 years/36,000 miles of free oil change (dino) so I would bring my own oil. I took it there for that time period but I watched the guys like a hawk (there were windows in the waiting area to the Express Service lanes). Because the guys ripped me off the first time I brought Royal Purple in ... they kept it and put regular oil in. Didn't notice it a few days later when I went to check it and the dip stick was amber.

So it's up to you ... Infiniti Dealer, Nissan Dealer, Trusted Mechanic (no quick lube place) or DIY (document).
Old 11-26-2014, 01:26 AM
Hedgehog25

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
We bought our G from a Nissan dealership and it came with 3 years/36,000 miles of free oil change (dino) so I would bring my own oil. I took it there for that time period but I watched the guys like a hawk (there were windows in the waiting area to the Express Service lanes). Because the guys ripped me off the first time I brought Royal Purple in ... they kept it and put regular oil in. Didn't notice it a few days later when I went to check it and the dip stick was amber.

So it's up to you ... Infiniti Dealer, Nissan Dealer, Trusted Mechanic (no quick lube place) or DIY (document).
Sucks to hear they tried to rip you off! BTW, how long have you been using Royal Purple in your M37, and how has your (or should I say, your car's) experience with it been? Whenever I take it in next week to the dealership for an oil change, I'm wondering if I should go with something "fancy" like RP or use Nissan's synthetic ester oil. Anyone got any suggestions/opinions? Based on what I learned via Googling, it sounds like RP is a very divisive oil in the automotive enthusiasts world...
Old 11-26-2014, 08:01 AM
tech37

Originally Posted by Hedgehog25
Sucks to hear they tried to rip you off! BTW, how long have you been using Royal Purple in your M37, and how has your (or should I say, your car's) experience with it been? Whenever I take it in next week to the dealership for an oil change, I'm wondering if I should go with something "fancy" like RP or use Nissan's synthetic ester oil. Anyone got any suggestions/opinions? Based on what I learned via Googling, it sounds like RP is a very divisive oil in the automotive enthusiasts world...
You should be good with any high quality oil...i prefer synthetics...no need to spend $12/qt on the Ester oil unless you have excessive VVEL noise...I do the same at my dealership...bring my own oil...Pennzoil UP...the VQ series engine seems to like this oil based on UOA's I've seen...especially the old Pennzoil Ultra...

Either way I recommend not doing any extended OCIS regardless of what oil you use...I get my done every 3750....some do 7500....but the new ones recommend 5000...go figure...lol
Old 11-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Hedgehog25

Originally Posted by tech37
You should be good with any high quality oil...i prefer synthetics...no need to spend $12/qt on the Ester oil unless you have excessive VVEL noise...I do the same at my dealership...bring my own oil...Pennzoil UP...the VQ series engine seems to like this oil based on UOA's I've seen...especially the old Pennzoil Ultra...

Either way I recommend not doing any extended OCIS regardless of what oil you use...I get my done every 3750....some do 7500....but the new ones recommend 5000...go figure...lol
OK, thanks for the recommendation; I'll probably go with Pennzoil Ultra then. BTW, what does excessive VVEL noise sound like again? LOL. Also,would you happen to have any links to the UOA's you mentioned for this car?
Old 11-27-2014, 07:03 PM
tech37

OK, thanks for the recommendation; I'll probably go with Pennzoil Ultra then. BTW, what does excessive VVEL noise sound like again? LOL. Also,would you happen to have any links to the UOA's you mentioned for this car?
I will look for the links either tonight or tomorrow.

It's going to be hard to find Pennzoil Ultra...its been replaced by the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum...which is still a great oil but not as awesome as the old formula...but if you can find the old Ultra I'd buy all that I could...lol
Old 11-29-2014, 08:44 AM
2008G-Man

I never used Royal Purple in my M, just my G and I didn't use it very long, switched to Mobil1. RP was just too expensive IMHO. I'm old school, I still believe oil changes are the single most important thing you can do to take care of your car. Given that, I set my reminder at 3500 miles and try not to let it go past 5000 before I get it done. Some may say this is a waste of money but I have been following this method for a lot of years, a lot of cars that all have gone over 150k miles and not a single one has ever had any engine problems or burned a drop of oil.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:38 PM
tech37

I never used Royal Purple in my M, just my G and I didn't use it very long, switched to Mobil1. RP was just too expensive IMHO. I'm old school, I still believe oil changes are the single most important thing you can do to take care of your car. Given that, I set my reminder at 3500 miles and try not to let it go past 5000 before I get it done. Some may say this is a waste of money but I have been following this method for a lot of years, a lot of cars that all have gone over 150k miles and not a single one has ever had any engine problems or burned a drop of oil.
I agree...every car I've owned I've used synthetics and no more than 4000....even still do in my 94 Legend...and either use Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum....an never had an oil burning problem in any of my cars...
Old 12-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Hedgehog25

OK, this is going to sound pretty nutty, but I just got my M37x back after having the oil changed and fluids checked/replenished at a Nissan dealership, as well as having a complete brake job and alignment done by an independent mechanic, and it's unbelievable how good the car has been driving today. Of course, I expected the car to brake better/easier, but what's really weird is that the car's transmission has been shifting much smoother, too, ever since I got it back earlier today. I might have felt a single rough shift, but for the most part, I haven't even been able to feel most of the shifts occurring, and the lag and harsh downshifting seems to be gone, too. The transmission isn't just functioning better and more efficiently -- it's actually shifting like a different transmission entirely.

When I first dropped off the car, the guys at the Nissan dealership said they weren't "allowed" to apply software updates to Infinitis... but I'm wondering if they said "the hell with the rules" and did it anyways?! Is there any way I can know for sure if they did update it?
Old 12-06-2014, 05:08 PM
tech37

OK, this is going to sound pretty nutty, but I just got my M37x back after having the oil changed and fluids checked/replenished at a Nissan dealership, as well as having a complete brake job and alignment done by an independent mechanic, and it's unbelievable how good the car has been driving today. Of course, I expected the car to brake better/easier, but what's really weird is that the car's transmission has been shifting much smoother, too, ever since I got it back earlier today. I might have felt a single rough shift, but for the most part, I haven't even been able to feel most of the shifts occurring, and the lag and harsh downshifting seems to be gone, too. The transmission isn't just functioning better and more efficiently -- it's actually shifting like a different transmission entirely.

When I first dropped off the car, the guys at the Nissan dealership said they weren't "allowed" to apply software updates to Infinitis... but I'm wondering if they said "the hell with the rules" and did it anyways?! Is there any way I can know for sure if they did update it?
They don't have access to the updates for Infiniti...so they didn't do any updates. And dealers aren't that nice especially when they won't get paid for it...Nissan can't bill for warranty work for Infiniti and vice versa...

I'm not sure if they had to disconnect the battery for anything but if they did you could be causing the ECM/TCM to relearn driving habits...

And no....you would need Consult III+ to see what software you have...
Old 12-06-2014, 06:29 PM
2008G-Man

Placebo effect? :-)
Old 12-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Hedgehog25

Placebo effect? LOL, maybe...

Actually, I see on the service receipt that they tested the charge in the battery, so I'm assuming they unplugged the cables to do that. Still, don't they have to stay unplugged for at least several hours to reset the ECM?

BTW, there is one other thing I'm noticing now that I never noticed before... whenever I shift into D from any other gear, the front of the car lifts up a little bit. LOL, does anyone else's do this? It literally just lifts itself up a little bit in the front.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:43 AM
2008G-Man

Did you loose your radio presets or memory seat presets? If not, they did not disconnect your battery. I've read 10-15 minutes of disconnected battery for ECU reset.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Hedgehog25

Did you loose your radio presets or memory seat presets? If not, they did not disconnect your battery. I've read 10-15 minutes of disconnected battery for ECU reset.
Nope, the seat presets are still there (haven't set any radio presets yet)... so maybe there really is something to this "placebo effect" you speak of? LOL.

Maybe the weather had something to do with the car shifting so smoothly; it had been really cold on the days leading to me dropping the car off, and on the day I picked it up, it was really warm (upper 60s/low 70s) and has been like that for the past few days. We'll see what happens when the weather takes a turn for the cold again this week...
Old 12-08-2014, 12:14 AM
tech37

Actually they can save all that info when they disconnect the battery if the tech isn't lazy...just had he battey replaced in my QX and all my setting and seat memory was saved.

And yep...15 mins is enough to reset the ECM...
Old 12-08-2014, 02:05 AM
Hedgehog25

Originally Posted by tech37
Actually they can save all that info when they disconnect the battery if the tech isn't lazy...just had he battey replaced in my QX and all my setting and seat memory was saved.

And yep...15 mins is enough to reset the ECM...
Oh OK, I didn't know that. Hmmm... maybe the guys at this particular Nissan dealership are hoping to step-up to an Infiniti dealership one day? LOL

BTW, do you have any idea what's going on when I shift the car into D and the front end lifts up a little bit? Is that the AWD system kicking in or something (even though I'm at a dead stop when it does it)?

Quick Reply: M37 7speed transmission reprogram...