NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

need help and advise on my wheels. i think it got messed up by tire shining crap.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 07:42 PM
bubbletea 4 me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help and advise on my wheels. i think it got messed up by tire shining crap.

hey guys,

hate to post this again (i posted in the general section, but not much replies). really need help fast with this.

i'll try to make my story short:

i have seen these oily, dark, stain marks on my wheels the past few days. when i bought my car last weekend, the wheels werent the cleanest, but im sure it wasnt like this with all the stain/streak kinda marks.
i believe it is caused by some kind of wheel sine or tire shine stuff. after i signed the paper work and inspected the veh, i realized that the tires had been coated with some kinda tire shine stuff to make it all nice and shiney. however, i also realized that the wheels were kinda greasy, oily feeling. i didnt think too much of it since i thought they prob just put some wheel cleaning stuff on it to make it look good.

well, a day after that, i started to see the stains and streak marks that are left on the wheels..and i cant clean them off no matter what.
i took my car in today to have my clear-bra and lo-jack put on as well as the detailing that was promised to me by the sales manager (car will be in shop for a couple of days). i told the sales manager about the wheels and what i thought prob would have caused it. he said he will do his best to take care of it, but seems like he wasnt sure if its possible to get it off.

anyone ever had that problem? what can i do? is there some kinda cleaning stuff i can use to get it off?

i'll pick up my car on friday evening and i'll see whats up then. however, i have a feeling that it WONT be fixed. then what? is there any good wheel shops in NOVA area that i can have it fixed/repolished or something (and def. asking the dealer to pay for it)? or am i screwed and will have to get new wheels?

what im really curious with is that many dealerships use those tire/wheel shining wax/or whatever that they use to make their used car tires/wheels shiney looking. then how come their wheels have no problems?

i got the car from BMW of Fairfax. overall, im happy with their service and the guys i dealt with are pretty cool and friendly. but this wheel incident really makes me nervous and upset!

really need some help on this!!
Old 06-14-2006, 07:43 PM
bubbletea 4 me

or do you guys think a infiniti dealership will be able to take care of it?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:48 PM
terryw

did you try using grain alcohol? its one of the most powerful stain remover out there
Old 06-14-2006, 07:51 PM
vlm7

sounds like tire shine "sling"... might want to get the opinions of the detailing gurus - Brian? or post this on the detail forum here, or maybe autopia.org?

I've never really had to deal with anything as apparently permanent as what you're dealing with. In my experience, Instant Detail spray has been enough to get the various stains (tar, bugs, bird droppings, water stains) I've come across off my paint.

Last edited by vlm7; 06-14-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:56 PM
bubbletea 4 me

well, i want to remove the "stain" but also dont want to ruin the wheels with too strong of solution of some kind. i have read here that our wheels are very sensitive and many people have their wheels ruined cuz accidic wheel cleaning products that they have used. so i really dont know what to do or what to use.
i'll try to post this on the detailing section too i guess. i just feel bad that i post the same stuff but on diff sections.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:01 AM
brian2004

I just scanned your post .But i will tell you tire shine products will damage chrome painted and clear coated rims.It will not be able to be fixed .It penetrated through the coatings and into the metal.If they are factory painted the can be re-done with factory powder coat.I have seen it done at ye ole wheel shop elkridge Md.It hapenned to my old car in a little spot .It went right through the chrome plating.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Pratik

Sorry to hijack but Big B - whats the best to keep the tires shining since you said mine were lookin dull.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:39 AM
brian2004

Originally Posted by Pratik
Sorry to hijack but Big B - whats the best to keep the tires shining since you said mine were lookin dull.
I have about 3 things .I found no touch wet look ,meguires i have something new.Bad part is no touch and new stuff is spray on so you have to put on a sponge.You also must clean the tires because the stuff keeps building up and gets crappy.Never spray on thats when you get overspray and drips on the rim causing damage.You also don't want it on your paint.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:50 AM
LEK

^^ then might as well get the gel kind....