Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

FI RHFC + MD XYZ + Resonator VS MD ART + MD XYZ + HFC ? (+ GTHAUS mid & muffler)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 04:26 AM
Kaighal
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question FI RHFC + MD XYZ + Resonator VS MD ART + MD XYZ + HFC ? (+ GTHAUS mid & muffler)

Hello,

I own a 2010 G37 Convertible, which I drive daily, in France with the full GTHAUS exhaust line. I love its wide open throttle note in the high RPM range but :
- I dislike the metallic sound it sometimes makes around 2500-3000 RPM (and I would love to know why it only happens sometimes !),
- the cabin sound volume is too high for long trips at high speed (over 100 mph),
- I would prefer a lower-pitched note like the one I had with only the GTHAUS muffler.

After asking for your help on this topic, I have decided to try to replace my GTHAUS Y-pipe with the suggested XYZ-pipe from MotorDyne.

The simple option is to go for it with the resonator module, but after doing some readings on HFC, I am now considering two possible setups :

1 - Fast Intentions RHFC + XYZ with the resonator module

2 - MotorDyne ART pipes + XYZ with the HFC module

Both options should lower the pitch note of the exhaust and, apparently, the ART pipes should reduce the overall volume output while the RHFC should increase it slightly. Hopefully, there should be a lot less rasp and metallic sounds with both setups. Is this correct ?

My questions are :

1 - Would there be a difference in the cabin at high speed, and if so, which option would be the quietest from inside the car ?
In other words, between the XYZ resonator and the ART pipes, which has the strongest impact on volume reduction ?

2 - Are both options compatible with the "sensors" that are in the OEM cats to prevent any "check engine" light (CEL ?) ? Do I need to purchase anything else to make them work, either with the FI RHFC or the XYZ-HFC module ?
I am very unfamiliar with this, but I am afraid of any kind of issue as, in France, we have a technical control of the car every 2 years and any cockpit error light means the car is no longer allowed to be driven

3 - Between the two options, which would you choose, and why ?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and opinions !
Old 03-24-2018, 08:05 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
I love my Motordyne setup and personally think it sounds better than FI. Both are quality setups but I prefer Motordyne.

I have no cats so my setup isn't quiet. My ART pipes were an exact fit for my OEM O2 sensors, no CEL and I've had them on for at least 20k miles. I wrapped mine with DEI black exhaust wrap in conjunction with the DEI high temp spray adhesive.