Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Berk Resonated test pipes/CEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 06:13 PM
VQ_Shadis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berk Resonated test pipes/CEL

Hey guys, been browsing the forum for a bit and having some trouble narrowing down a clear answer but would love some help.

just installed berk resonated test pipes. Stock intakes, Megan Racing Axle Back is on. The install went great, car runs great and sounds pretty sweet. after about 3 days, infamous check engine light is on. After reading up on the forums, I see three main options, but not really sure what I should do first (need to maintain daily driveability, just doing some bolt ons to squeeze some power out of the lovely VQ and call it a day....)
A) the ECU flash reset... but as long as the test pipes are there, this solution doesn't seem like it has a lot of efficacy?
B) dyno tune
C) ignore the light knowing I have test pipes and that's why the CEL is on.... And just enjoy the ride

**Haven't ran it for a diagnostic code yet, as I'm assuming it is from the test pipes since the car never had a light until installation.**

My only fear is that over time it will go into limp mode from driving around with a CEL periodically as I've read some people experience or I will end up running a rich mixture and damage my plugs over time? (On the more extreme side of things)

Im pretty novice to this stuff, I spend almost all my time in the operating rooms but I know I can benefit from you guys who have encountered this on on here, so I figured I'd ask before panicking.

Thanks in advance guys, try not to flame me too bad for the infamous test pipes CEL question....
Old 03-23-2018, 09:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Probably need to get an 02 port extender, similar to this (not sure if this is the one that would fit)
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-23-2018, 10:22 PM
VQ_Shadis

Thanks for the reply! After you mentioned that, looks like Z1 offers pairs for the G.... Found some here https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-products/z1-motorsports/z1-oxygen-o2-sensor-extension-bungs-pair-p-3736.html

Can't hurt to give these a try in the interim between figuring out a dyno tune.... Would you recommend doing an ECU reset after installing these??
Old 03-23-2018, 10:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by VQ_Shadis
Thanks for the reply! After you mentioned that, looks like Z1 offers pairs for the G.... Found some here https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...ir-p-3736.html

Can't hurt to give these a try in the interim between figuring out a dyno tune.... Would you recommend doing an ECU reset after installing these??
Just a simple battery disconnect & should be good to go. There's also 90 degree O2 sensor extenders that might do an even better job. My RTP O2 ports are long counter-flow configuration and have never lit a CEL in 25k miles in 2 years. Here's an example and a pic of my RTPs
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by blnewt; 03-23-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:29 PM
VQ_Shadis

Originally Posted by blnewt
Just a simple battery disconnect & should be good to go. There's also 90 degree O2 sensor extenders that might do an even better job. My RTP O2 ports are long counter-flow configuration and have never lit a CEL in 25k miles in 2 years. Here's an example and a pic of my RTPs
https://www.amazon.com/Oxygen-Sensor...AJ8KWF1M2FE2AE

wow, impressive! That's a good streak. So the J bend style places the o2 sensor at a spot where it's not constantly reading and telling the computer the catalytic converter is missing?? I tried getting the FI resonated ones with the J bend but they said it was over a 4 month wait time so went with berks instead :l
Old 03-24-2018, 09:30 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by VQ_Shadis
wow, impressive! That's a good streak. So the J bend style places the o2 sensor at a spot where it's not constantly reading and telling the computer the catalytic converter is missing?? I tried getting the FI resonated ones with the J bend but they said it was over a 4 month wait time so went with berks instead :l
It places the 02 sensor further away and not going w/ the exhaust flow but against it, so much less likely to throw the CEL.