Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Put Resonators On My Borla Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Put Resonators On My Borla Exhaust!

Hey guys and gals, I just wanted to let everyone know today I put (2) Vibrant 12" resonators on my Borla exhaust, and I can tell you it makes it sound 10 times better! There's 0 rasp under WOT now and it sounds a lot deeper and meaner then before. I haven't installed the high flow cats since the 02 sensor was going to strip if we pulled it all the way out, so I'll need a new 02 if I feel like doing that mod. I did make a couple videos today, but they seem to be too close to the car and the mic isn't getting all the sound properly, so I'll have to make more tomorrow since it's getting dark out.

The setup still sounds louder then the stock exhaust, just a little more discreet.

By the way, for the people that are at idle and reving the engine, do you ever get it where your RPMs dip lower then the normal idle? Example, I'll rev the engine and when I let off the needle drops to 450rpms and quickly goes back to 750rpms which is normal idle.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
awwwwww FAIL for no videos... I was excited..... It doesnt have to be Light to capture videos
Old 08-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Staples

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
awwwwww FAIL for no videos... I was excited..... It doesnt have to be Light to capture videos
Ok, I'll post it but the bass in the exhaust now threw the mic off and distorted it a little. Give me 5 mins and I'll Photobucket post them.

Last edited by Staples; 08-04-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Staples

Bump, uploaded the videos.

BEFORE:

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...t=IMGP0118.flv

AFTER:

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...t=IMGP0120.flv

Like I said, in the videos it's hard to get a sound difference, but you can tell the after video has more bass to it and sounds deeper.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:16 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks...
Old 08-05-2008, 08:23 AM
weave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You ever come to Tyson's Corner area? I would love to hear this in person!
Old 08-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Gonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Staples
Hey guys and gals, I just wanted to let everyone know today I put (2) Vibrant 12" resonators on my Borla exhaust, and I can tell you it makes it sound 10 times better! There's 0 rasp under WOT now and it sounds a lot deeper and meaner then before. I haven't installed the high flow cats since the 02 sensor was going to strip if we pulled it all the way out, so I'll need a new 02 if I feel like doing that mod. I did make a couple videos today, but they seem to be too close to the car and the mic isn't getting all the sound properly, so I'll have to make more tomorrow since it's getting dark out.

The setup still sounds louder then the stock exhaust, just a little more discreet.

By the way, for the people that are at idle and reving the engine, do you ever get it where your RPMs dip lower then the normal idle? Example, I'll rev the engine and when I let off the needle drops to 450rpms and quickly goes back to 750rpms which is normal idle.
Should have gone with Magnaflow system which already has them.Also they have built in flex coupling like stock system to isolate vibration,which none of the other systems have.To boot it costs one third of the Borla.you could buy HFCs and Intakes and Magnaflow exhaust for that price.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:36 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^The Borla is proven to give great power and that is on top of HFCs. The magnaflow has not proved that it can produce any power or power close to what Borla made so this suggestion is worthless at this time. Once someone does a before and after dyno with this exhaust and then shares that number with the community then this can be debatable. The only advantage to the Magnaflow exhaust that can be argued is price because that it the only number we have. Most other exhausts that are out win the power battle (Borla, FI, etc) because they have numbers to back up their product. Weight is another factor which other exhaust companies and people have posted to show savings over stock. Magnaflow has not done this or anyone who has bought it. Magnaflow has no ground to stand on (except price) until someone gets this info. Remember a lot of people on here are buying exhaust for performance and not just sound so cost might not be the reason they buy the exhaust.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Gonkey

But can he produce those numbers?He just altered it for additional cost because of the raspiness of borla without resonators.As for weight most any aftermarket system will weigh less than stock.Stock system has all sorts of shields and vibration counter measures all over it.

Last edited by Gonkey; 08-05-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:55 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Gonkey
But can he produce those numbers?He just altered it for additional cost because of the raspiness of borla without resonators.As for weight most any aftermarket system will weigh less than stock.Stock system has all sorts of shields and vibration counter measures all over it.
I cannot argue the weight savings over stock because it should save weight but people need these numbers especially in reviews and such. People want to know who much weight is saves especially all the people that complain about how heavy the car is and are trying to lighten it. As far as I know, resonators should not affect the HP increases by that much. The main point that I am trying to make though is that if someone who buys the Magnaflow exhaust did a same day before and after dyno on it and it produced 18HP like the Borla did for Max then no one could argue against the magnaflow when it comes to performance and price. If it only gained 5 to 10 then the Borla would still win the performance battle but then people would need to weight in cost which might be more important.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Staples

Originally Posted by Gonkey
I wanted to stay away from the raspiness (which is my personal preference, not bashing one bit!), and from what I've heard the Magnaflow is just as bad as the Borla exhaust even with two resonators. I decided to go this route because it suits me and I wanted to take a different approach then everyone else. There's been a few dynosheets proven by Borla, but I haven't see any from Magnaflow yet. I'm not bashing Magnaflow, but I am stating facts as I see them, or in the case, hear them. Also, as far as weight goes I altered next to nothing, resonators DO NOT restrict exhaust gases as they're straight through designs. Since the piping was cut out for the vibrants to be welded in I would say the resonators added MAYBE 2 extra pounds, they're very light.

Also there's a bit more R&D in the Borla design and the welds are A LOT cleaner, but you would hope as you're paying almost 3 times more then the Magnaflow catback.

I'm very impressed with my current setup, and as I tell everyone, "Different strokes for different folks." Also to clear things up one more time, resonators do not make you lose horsepower on a dyno. If the Borla setup makes 15whp, and I add 2 resonators, the exhaust will still make 15whp.

If you guys want more videos, I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Last edited by Staples; 08-05-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 PM
SteveG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Staples
"Different strokes for different folks."
+1 on this, I think it all comes down to what you want. I personally went with the magnaflow due to the great price, nice sound, and whatever extra HP I get I will take it, not much expection in the HP department for the price, but hey if I get some decent gains, I'll take it. I'm sure others would prefer to pay 3x for some extra HP etc., just not me. I subscribe to the Magnaflow, HFC's, and JWT pop charger for same money as the Borla Exhaust
Old 08-06-2008, 10:39 AM
maxipad96

I think you will see the gains from the magnaflow. The stock exhaust system is super restrictive.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:44 PM
ironchef2008

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
^^The Borla is proven to give great power and that is on top of HFCs. The magnaflow has not proved that it can produce any power or power close to what Borla made so this suggestion is worthless at this time. Once someone does a before and after dyno with this exhaust and then shares that number with the community then this can be debatable. The only advantage to the Magnaflow exhaust that can be argued is price because that it the only number we have. Most other exhausts that are out win the power battle (Borla, FI, etc) because they have numbers to back up their product. Weight is another factor which other exhaust companies and people have posted to show savings over stock. Magnaflow has not done this or anyone who has bought it. Magnaflow has no ground to stand on (except price) until someone gets this info. Remember a lot of people on here are buying exhaust for performance and not just sound so cost might not be the reason they buy the exhaust.
I think it's time to see what the Magnaflow really can do so the speculation ends. I'll get my G into the local dyno shop next week for some before and after runs and I'll post them up under a new topic. Who knows, maybe the system will make power and be inexpensive! You guys know how much I love to test!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:46 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ironchef2008
I think it's time to see what the Magnaflow really can do so the speculation ends. I'll get my G into the local dyno shop next week for some before and after runs and I'll post them up under a new topic. Who knows, maybe the system will make power and be inexpensive! You guys know how much I love to test!
Great!!! Do a review thread if you can with the dyno.

Quick Reply: Put Resonators On My Borla Exhaust!