General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Problem with ECUTEK and emissions testing

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 07:57 PM
Shattopotamus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with ECUTEK and emissions testing

Hello, apologies in advance for any “nooby” questions.

Last summer, I bought a G37s with a MagnaFlow exhaust, Z1 test pipes and an ECUTEK tune on it. I’m coming up on almost a year with the car and it’s almost time to do an emissions test.

I took the car once and got a fail, (which I was almost certain it would, due to the test pipes). I replaced the test pipes on the car with ISR high-flow cats last week and was getting ready to take the car to be tested a second time.

I plugged my OBD2 scanner into the car (should have done this first) and noticed that the Catalyst Monitor says “Not Supported”, instead of the typical “Not Ready”.

I then opened the ECUTEK app (which I never really have) only to discover that the in-app I/M Readiness tool doesn’t even show a Catalyst monitor (which it typically does).

I’m now assuming that this specific tune on my car has the Catalyst monitors completely disabled. I have no idea who originally tuned the vehicle and can’t find any information on getting a stock tune for emissions. Furthermore, the guy I bought this car from is MIA, I haven’t been able to contact him.

Any suggestions here? Take it to a dealership and get a “reflash”? Or get a new tune?
Old 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts
Dealership won't be able to do anything since Ecutek is aftermarket so you'll need to reach out to a tuner.

Does your city/state require all sensors to be "Complete/Ready"?

I can take a look at my app and see how it looks as a reference. I believe mine doesn't have all of those items.

Old 04-18-2024, 02:26 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I bought a Miata from out-of-state with an EcuTek tune which had CEL, EGR and O2 sensors disabled which appeared at the inspection station. My part of the country requires all the emissions stuff to work. I booked time with an EcuTek tuner who turned on all the devices and tweaked the tune for a couple more HP. Find your local tuner, s/he will be able to check all that.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Knightjs
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
There should be a stock tune in the programmer. Most tuners have you do a backup. Look in your list and flash it.