General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Infiniti G37 noise when accelerating after stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 12:55 AM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Eugenius
Awesome job, man! You basically has cleared out several year confusion of the entire community by doing it.. thank you for that!
I also almost grow a pair to start doing the job myself, but found a local shop which is doing the gasket for little more than a thousand and they ve been doing it for long time.
Did you replace the chain, water pump altogether or just gaskets?
The noise in post #76 is different than the one OP posted. I have the same noise as OP so I know. No one has been able to confirm where that noise comes from.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:51 PM
Bommerang
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by antirice
The noise in post #76 is different than the one OP posted. I have the same noise as OP so I know. No one has been able to confirm where that noise comes from.
Although he did quote post 76 in his posting he did say in the end there is no more rattling after taking off from a stop which is the exact noise most of us like OP are experiencing after replacing his gaskets and chain stuff. I guess most of us would just need to do oil pressure tests to confirm the gaskets being the problem if were experiencing the rattle during takeoff noise. Overall, this topic is strange because most people dont hear this noise and one day the gasket just fails and the car is basically useless until its fixed, I guess it all depends where/how bad it has failed?
Old 06-16-2019, 09:24 PM
roger5777
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by antirice
I hear ya.
The point of my post was to encourage everyone to get their oil pressure tested. There are a million ways the gasket could fail so your car may sound different depending on how high or low your pressure is. Maybe you have a different problem but it takes a few minutes to check the pressure and know for sure.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:02 PM
inkognito
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
What's interesting is that even though my pressure is below minimum, the Infiniti dealership that checked it, said they see no issue with my car and I should just keep driving. Said that over time pressure goes down and that's normal.

I don't see how below minimum can be considered normal..
Old 06-20-2019, 08:20 PM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by inkognito
What's interesting is that even though my pressure is below minimum, the Infiniti dealership that checked it, said they see no issue with my car and I should just keep driving. Said that over time pressure goes down and that's normal.

I don't see how below minimum can be considered normal..
Apparently failed gaskets and low oil pressure its normal engine operation for Infiniti dealers. Lol
Until the engine goes to the limp mode with error code nothing is wrong with the engine. Infiniti became worst brand for customer support and tech service support.. worst than German rivals.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:39 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
How many here with this issue bought the car second-hand? I am just curious. My 2013 Journey RWD sedan has 117k miles. Other than my passenger side Cat going bad @ 70k (replaced under Cat man. warranty for free) I have zero issues. Has been the most reliable, trouble-free car I've ever owned (knock on wood). I bought mine with 15k on the odometer and used full synth and premium filters since day 1, changed every 7500 miles like clockwork. I consume zero oil, have zero leaks, car is as fast as the day I got it. Always used premium 93 additive fuel also. But I'm a little concerned over the high-mile gasket issues popping up in this thread. Are there any more definitive discoveries from other owners?
Old 07-01-2019, 12:44 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Haven't had any crazy issues besides regular maintenance I do early. Changed plugs,rad trans diff fluid, belt at 80k miles on a weekend. I suctioned swapped the ps fluid with a Turkey baster and 100cc syringe. Outside of that I polished the straight edge of the headlights that on hood edge, seems to oxidize faster. Little mothers plastic polish and headlight lense clear sealant no reoxidization in 20k miles of tx sun.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:25 PM
KungFooFireman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Finally took my car to the dealership about the sound and found out it was the driver side CAT. It was replaced under the 8 year/80k mile federal emissions warranty and I have around 77k on it now. I bought the car used with about 46k miles, just glad I still have some warranty left as this would have cost me $1100, which I wouldn't have paid anyway. My CPO warranty runs out next year in July so hopefully the passenger side will go out before then.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:18 AM
inkognito
Registered Member

To give you all an update, I finally had my gallery gaskets changed (along with water pump). Issue is gone. Check your pressure and fix your gaskets folks.
Here is what my gaskets and water pump looked like at 135k km (85k mi):

The following 2 users liked this post by inkognito:
bjmsam (08-10-2019), Bommerang (07-10-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 07:34 PM
Eugenius
Registered Member

water pump looked like at 135k km (85k mi):
Thank you for the update. Does it make sense to replace the water pump at that mileage as well?
My car is at 90k, thinking to do the gasket job myself.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:48 PM
inkognito
Registered Member

Can't think of any reason not to replace it.
I ended up having a mechanic buddy do the job for me, so let me know how the DIY is for you.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:49 AM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Can't think of any reason not to replace it.
I ended up having a mechanic buddy do the job for me, so let me know how the DIY is for you.
Water pump is not a common part to fail in our cars.
Based on the bathtub curve in reliability engineering, new parts have bigger chance to fail, known as early failures, than parts already passed this period.
I'll keep the original water pump.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:31 AM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Can confirm that the noise is related to the failed galley gaskets!!!
There is no reason to deny it.
There were two huge pieces of the gaskets found in the oil pan. After replacing the gaskets, the noise is no longer there.
I had the exact noise like the OP for 2 years, no codes, no limp mode, but the oil pressure was low
The following users liked this post:
bjmsam (08-09-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 02:25 PM
bjmsam
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Nxf0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht86jllXbbk&t=24
Maybe someone can help to identify the issue. I have this noise on my Infiniti G37 Base Coupe 2011(on 25-26 seconds of the video ).
Originally Posted by roger5777
I got it done this weekend. The diagnosis is confirmed...
New gasket is in, oil pressure is back, and no more clanging noises on taking off from a stop.
I finally had my gallery gaskets changed (along with water pump). Issue is gone. Check your pressure and fix your gaskets folks.
Can confirm that the noise is related to the failed galley gaskets!!!
There is no reason to deny it.
There were two huge pieces of the gaskets found in the oil pan. After replacing the gaskets, the noise is no longer there.
I had the exact noise like the OP for 2 years, no codes, no limp mode, but the oil pressure was low
This is great news! Did you tackle the repair yourself? If not, then for those of us also in the D.C. area, can you please share the names of the shops you found and the total cost? Thank you, and congrats!

If gasket fails I already found two shops around DC area who are ready to do the job for bout $1500, or less.
found a local shop which is doing the gasket for little more than a thousand and they ve been doing it for long time.
Update: This discussion led me to a local specialty shop which provided the following estimate:

Last edited by bjmsam; 08-20-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Yep, these are the guys who fixed the issue. A very honest and reputable shop, which specialized on nissan and infiniti. I heard somebody even drove to do the repair from Ohio.

Quick Reply: Infiniti G37 noise when accelerating after stop