MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   General Tech Questions (https://www.myg37.com/forums/general-tech-questions-315/)
-   -   Infiniti G37 noise when accelerating after stop (https://www.myg37.com/forums/general-tech-questions/284823-infiniti-g37-noise-when-accelerating-after-stop.html)

Nxf0 09-27-2017 12:46 AM

Infiniti G37 noise when accelerating after stop

Maybe someone can help to identify the issue. I have this noise on my Infiniti G37 Base Coupe 2011(on 25-26 seconds of the video ).
FYI , this is not my video. however I do have a similar problem with my 2011 G37Xs and was browsing to find the solution. can anybody identify this noise and knows what is causing it ?:dunno:

thank you

===========
EDIT 11/02/2017
===========

Hi guys,
So I did noticed that the noise during acceleration doesn't happen anymore.
what I have done differently ? well, nothing really! when I purchased the car it had 32K (about 2yrs ago) since then, I have ONLYused premium gas (Shell or Chevron) and I did couple of full synthetic oil change back to back, like in 4K interval. I have no idea if that helped in anyway or if this was related to the initial issue at all.
Currently I have 41K miles on my car.

antirice 10-05-2017 05:54 PM

Bump. I think my car has the same noise. Would love to hear if other folks have found out what's causing it.

KAHBOOM 10-13-2017 10:50 PM

I've never heard that noise. Would be nice to have a longer video and to know what the driver is doing when the noise starts. For example is it just brief or constant etc...

Infin88 10-14-2017 07:46 AM

My car has the same noise. I think it’s coming from the rear. It happens during acceleration (from a stop)and goes away after around 2000rpms. It doesnt happen all the time.

Ive heard it from other nissans and infinitis as well on the street.

I think that users have said that it was possibly a bad cat, but I heard the sound before and after I replaced my cat and catback.

antirice 10-14-2017 02:17 PM

I think it might be one of the heat shields in the rear of the car. I am gonna check it out later on.

mydailyg37 10-14-2017 03:22 PM

My 08 coupe has been doing this for the last couple of months as well. I'm not too sure what it is, but like others have pointed out, I suspect the exhaust.

antirice 10-15-2017 06:51 PM

I put a quart of oil in my car yesterday (my car consumes about 1qt of oil every ~4000 miles or so). Since then, I haven't been noticing that noise.

I haven't been driving that much since yesterday though, so we'll see in the upcoming week. If you read the comments on youtube, the poster also mentioned "it gets better after an oil change".

Update: Never mind, heard the noise again on my way home. The mystery continues......

KAHBOOM 10-16-2017 02:33 PM

It could be the infamous engine chatter that I remember a lot of the early model G37s were having. After switching to Nissan Ester Oil many had the noise go away

Victory 10-16-2017 05:56 PM

Had the same noise. Almost sounds like knock but never occurs except when moving off the line. I spent a half hour tapping away at everything under the car with a screwdriver until i heard something rattle. Check for debris in the heat shields that are around your driveshaft. Found a stick in there. Haven't heard the rattle for a while.

Kris9884 10-18-2017 06:37 PM

I have that EXACT same sound. I have yet to find it either, had it for at least the last 20k miles, I have no idea where its coming from. With several of us having the same sound, it cant be debri. I also have test pipes so its not cats either. It definitely sounds like its coming from under the hood and its only at lower RPM's while taking off from a stop. It does NOT make the sound while just sitting and revving.

G37xS-Life 10-18-2017 08:09 PM

Following just to see what the sound is. Hopefully someone can figure it out.

Infin88 10-18-2017 09:39 PM

I did a google search (accelaration rattle nissan). It seems to be a common problem among nissans and infinitis. Didnt find a solution or reason for it thought.

antirice 10-18-2017 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kris9884 (Post 4163721)
I have that EXACT same sound. I have yet to find it either, had it for at least the last 20k miles, I have no idea where its coming from. With several of us having the same sound, it cant be debri. I also have test pipes so its not cats either. It definitely sounds like its coming from under the hood and its only at lower RPM's while taking off from a stop. It does NOT make the sound while just sitting and revving.

That's good info. I was thinking something was loose inside the OEM cats or the heat shields of the OEM cats. Since you have test pipes that eliminates both.

Could it be suspension related? I was also thinking about the the rear diff bushings due to the common leak bushing problem. But I don't think that will produce a noise like that.

Kris9884 10-19-2017 05:45 PM

Hmm, I'm trying to think what else I can add to this but from I can tell, its coming from the engine bay area and lower towards the ground. I wanna put a GoPro in there somewhere and see if i can narrow it down.

Victory 10-20-2017 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kris9884 (Post 4163721)

i listened closely today with the windows down and i can still hear it, though it seems quieter. I still suspect it's something with that heat shield