General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Electrical Problem - What Have I done!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:13 PM
GXXXVII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello people - I own a beautiful 2010 G37S 6MT. I had installed a Valentine radar detector in my car and it has worked great for over a year now. It is plugged in behind the rear view mirror. Well I was messing around there trying to make the wires look better and something bad happened! I may have shorted the wires together not sure.

The mirror quit putting out voltage and I noticed the Compass indicator was not working. Then I went to back out of the garage and my backup camera did not come on. My air conditioner buttons stopped working also - what the heck. I checked the fuses in the driver side panel and did not see anything amiss. I checked the fuses by the battery and did not see anything wrong there either. I disconnected the battery for an hour and restarted the car and still have all of the same issues. I guess I could go back and check the fuses again....are there other fuse locations in this car. Im stumped on this and Im pretty mechanical - please help - all ideas welcome!
Old 08-04-2015, 11:00 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Did you visually check them or with a meter?

IIRC, there are 3 fuse/relay boxes, driver side kick panel (left of dummy pedal), next to the battery and hood area driver side.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:00 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
does it help if the v1 is disconnected... mine has a fuse on the plug that goes to the lighter...
Old 08-05-2015, 10:33 PM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
most likely a blown fuse. check all fuses with a multimeter
Old 08-06-2015, 01:37 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
^^^^^^^

What he said

Check out the FSM

You should have read this first before messing with wires

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Sedan/2010/INL.pdf

"BCM turns applicable lamps OFF depending on the vehicle condition. This function prevents the battery
from over-discharging if the driver neglect turning OFF the any lamps.
Applicable lamps
• Map lamp
• Personal lamp
• Step lamp
• Trunk room lamp
• Vanity mirror lamp"

If you don't have a meter and are unable to troubleshoot the BCM, a trip to the dealer may be in your future

Good luck

Telcoman
Old 08-07-2015, 02:32 AM
drkay
Premier Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

A similar thing happened to me a while ago. I was also messing with the wires connected to the back of the mirror to my radar detector as. What you were playing with the wires while the ignition was on? My mirror stopped working along with the heated seats, heater, all gauges, and I could not shift out of park. It was a fuse in the drivers footwell. I cannot think of the name of the fuse right now but I recall it was third or fourth from the top in the left column of fuses. It was a 10 amp fuse. I will take a look at it tomorrow morning and post back.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:10 AM
drkay
Premier Member

Please check fuse: ELEC PARTS (BATT)

Read my post above. . .
Old 09-29-2015, 10:57 PM
misterJm

Originally Posted by drkay
Please check fuse: ELEC PARTS (BATT)

Read my post above. . .
how do you get this fuse out? It has that big thing on top of it.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:18 PM
drkay
Premier Member

Originally Posted by misterJm
how do you get this fuse out? It has that big thing on top of it.
I'm not sure what the "big thing" is that you are referring to. You remove the cover over the fuse box and Infiniti provides a fuse puller to help get the fuse out. Or you can use needle nose pliers with gentle pressure.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:59 PM
iVector
Registered Member

A similar thing happened to me a while ago. I was also messing with the wires connected to the back of the mirror to my radar detector as. What you were playing with the wires while the ignition was on? My mirror stopped working along with the heated seats, heater, all gauges, and I could not shift out of park. It was a fuse in the drivers footwell. I cannot think of the name of the fuse right now but I recall it was third or fourth from the top in the left column of fuses. It was a 10 amp fuse. I will take a look at it tomorrow morning and post back.
I just had this issue, but my car keeps blowing fuses when starting.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:22 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by iVector
I just had this issue, but my car keeps blowing fuses when starting.
Then you either have a short or you've hooked up something that's pulling too much power. Go back and double check everything is hooked up correctly and nothing is touching that shouldn't be.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:58 AM
Dman55

My Car Doing The Same Thing No Rpms No Gas Mileage No Speedometer Car Won’t Shift Outta Park It’s Very Hard To Do Don’t Know What’s Wrong With It