General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37
View Poll Results: What brand of oil do you use in your G coupe/sedan?
Motul (300v or 8100)
4.06%
German Castrol
3.19%
Amsoil
3.33%
Redline
3.55%
Royal Purple
5.72%
Mobil 1 Synthetic
47.32%
Pennzoil Platinum
9.57%
Valvoline SynPower
2.25%
Eneos Synthetic
1.59%
Quaker State
0.72%
Lucas Oils (synthetic)
0.43%
Schaeffer Synthetic Oil
0.29%
Nissan Ester Oil
12.39%
Conventional 5w30 "dino oil"
5.58%
Voters: 1380. You may not vote on this poll

The DEFINITIVE oil thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 AM
andromeda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
Well some will say stay with an OEM Nissan oil filter (which is basically a Fram filter in disguise if you ask me). You can get one from your Infiniti dealer's service/parts dept. But the truth is, in the Factory Service Manual, it says that an OEM or SIMILAR filter should be used. So it does NOT have to be OEM.

If you're running Mobil 1 oil, you can either go with a Mobil 1 filter (part M1-108) or Purolator PureOne (part PL14612). Both easily obtained from Advance Auto Parts. Both with the highest ratings of aftermarket oil filters.....the Mobil 1 filter is twice the price of the PureOne, but the PureOne was ranked as "the best" oil filter on the market with Mobil 1 in an extremely close second.

There ya go, you're set.
God Bless You Sir!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:58 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andromeda
God Bless You Sir!
Not a problem bro! That's what we're here for!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by andromeda
How about the oil filter? What and from where?

Also Mike I asked you a while ago how much for the part and to install the Vehicle Alarm Impact Sensor..Could you please comment on that as well?

My Infiniti dealer gave me nothing on that, no feedback at all..

Thanks,
A
I havn't been at Riverside Infiniti for half a year now...

Give them a call for pricing for the part. As for the install, I have no idea how many hours the factory manual calls for to install it....

The oil filter can be purchased pretty much anywhere. I'd recommend you either stick with OEM or a premium brand filter (mobil1, etc.)
Old 06-08-2009, 11:27 AM
andromeda

I just got my first oil change per the directions here, Mobil 1 + PureOne...The dealer said the oil was very good (top notch) but I should use their OEM filter cause is better..I took that as BS...However the service gentleman was very nice.

-A
Old 06-08-2009, 06:05 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Did you take your own oil/filter to Infiniti and have them do it? Or did you do it yourself and call for technical advice from your service guy? Of course, he's going to tell you that OEM is best (because they [meaning Infiniti] want to make 99.5% profit on a $12 filter that probably costs pennies to make.) I'm sorry but the inside of our "OEM" filter looks very much like a cheap FRAM filter. I'd rather not put that on my car thanks. I know it'll work fine, and I know that Infiniti will definitely give me less crap if I use OEM, but it clearly states in the Factory Service Manual (FSM) that an OEM or SIMILAR filter must be used.

Black Betty called Infiniti Consumer Affairs and got an official response that consumers MAY use aftermarket filters that are the correct application. Meaning, if you use a Mobil M1-108 filter (the exact size required), you're fine. But if you use the M1-110 (the longer filter, which isn't indicated for our vehicle), you might face a problem. As Black Betty concluded, Infiniti usually supports customers who made every attempt at proper service with correct materials. Now, if you don't change your dino oil for 12,000mi and have an engine problem and no proof of oil changes or receipts for oil/filter.....you've got a huge problem on your hands.

So yeah, Infiniti wants you to use their Fram...uh, I mean "OEM" filter.....but it's just a recommendation
As of this post, I'm becoming more and more impressed with Wix/NAPA Gold oil filters. Relatively inexpensive, great reviews, very reliable.

Last edited by KnoxvilleG37; 06-08-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Corrected for Mike
Old 06-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Mike

Wix makes good stuff.

That being said, the dealer cost on filters is more than you think... It's not the dealer making money, its' Infiniti.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:23 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Originally Posted by Mike
Wix makes good stuff.

That being said, the dealer cost on filters is more than you think... It's not the dealer making money, its' Infiniti.
I stand corrected LOL
Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 AM
andromeda

Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
Did you take your own oil/filter to Infiniti and have them do it? Or did you do it yourself and call for technical advice from your service guy? Of course, he's going to tell you that OEM is best (because they [meaning Infiniti] want to make 99.5% profit on a $12 filter that probably costs pennies to make.) I'm sorry but the inside of our "OEM" filter looks very much like a cheap FRAM filter. I'd rather not put that on my car thanks. I know it'll work fine, and I know that Infiniti will definitely give me less crap if I use OEM, but it clearly states in the Factory Service Manual (FSM) that an OEM or SIMILAR filter must be used.

Black Betty called Infiniti Consumer Affairs and got an official response that consumers MAY use aftermarket filters that are the correct application. Meaning, if you use a Mobil M1-108 filter (the exact size required), you're fine. But if you use the M1-110 (the longer filter, which isn't indicated for our vehicle), you might face a problem. As Black Betty concluded, Infiniti usually supports customers who made every attempt at proper service with correct materials. Now, if you don't change your dino oil for 12,000mi and have an engine problem and no proof of oil changes or receipts for oil/filter.....you've got a huge problem on your hands.

So yeah, Infiniti wants you to use their Fram...uh, I mean "OEM" filter.....but it's just a recommendation
As of this post, I'm becoming more and more impressed with Wix/NAPA Gold oil filters. Relatively inexpensive, great reviews, very reliable.
I took it to Infiniti with my own oil (Mobil 1) and filter (Purolator). I saw that post where the OEM filter was opened up and how crappy is...So I figured the "OEM is better" thing was BS. Another thing they told me is next time bring that drain plug washer as they have to replace it every time I go for an oil change...
Old 06-10-2009, 09:15 AM
KnoxvilleG37

WHAAAATTT?!?!? Oh that's messed up. So they mean you have to stop by the parts dept, get a crush washer for the oil drain bolt and take it to the service dept? A crush washer is supposed to be included with each oil change.....there are BAGS of them in your service area. I think your service dept is giving you some problems......I know my service dept won't let me bring my own filter since they'll only install OEM, so I'm changing my own oil at regular intervals with Pennz Platinum and either Mobil 1 or Wix filters and taking my car in for the yearly "big inspections" where many fluids are changed, etc and letting them use an OEM for that oil change.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:27 AM
w0ady

getting my 10k oil change friday - motul 300v with oem filter. ill be sending the old oil to blackstone for analysis again. been running 300v for the last 5k miles.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:46 AM
KnoxvilleG37

w0ady.....how have you been liking the 300v? Notice any change in performance, engine noise, etc?
Old 06-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by w0ady
getting my 10k oil change friday - motul 300v with oem filter. ill be sending the old oil to blackstone for analysis again. been running 300v for the last 5k miles.
woohoo another 300V fan
Lookin forward to your thoughts as well.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Triple_X

just got my second oil change and switched to pennzoil platinum fully synthetic 5w30. I went to walmart with intention to buy mobile 1, but they were out so I went with pennzoil. Can't see how there is much difference between the two. So far I notice no difference then yesterday with 'regular' oil haha. At the very least I can now feel at ease changing at 5k intervals.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Mike

Get a UOA and you'll see the difference =P
Old 07-10-2009, 11:11 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Hope you're not knocking Pennzoil Platinum!!! LOL. I've read nothing but good things about it on bobistheoilguy.com. I've got Pen.Plat. in my Jeep right now and plan on putting it in my G37 at my 11250 mile oil change.

Quick Reply: The DEFINITIVE oil thread