G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well do G37x perform in snow and has anyone gone from coupe to sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 05:04 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
How well do G37x perform in snow and has anyone gone from coupe to sedan?

Hey guys/gals! I have my 13' G37s 7AT that I super love daily driving. I live over in ATL and we had a little bit of snow/small ice today and I hate doing it, but I called in sick to work. I tried a tad bit of driving around but did a little fish tailing despite not doing sudden movements. This is the first RWD vehicle I ever had and I previously drove FWD small suvs/crossovers and had zero issues especially during that rough winterstorm we had years ago.

I've read previous threads and from what I understand it's really about the snow tires first, then AWD, RWD? Snow tires w/AWD > snow tires w/RWD? Now granted it rarely snows over here in ATL but this is the second time I couldn't go in to work so I'm strongly debating on just "upgrading" or however you perceive it to an awd sedan. I'm biased to think the coupe looks better but after reading the sticky of showing off your sedans, I really think they look neat especially after small upgrades such as getting the oem spoiler. That's why I'd be leaning towards grabbing an awd sedan over coupe + down the road if I ever decide to get kiddos it'll be easier to manage around. Extremely practical. I get that gas mileage will be even worse with a X and the sedan won't have as nice steering as I do right now with my g37s but I can always change that a little, right?

Any of you have some insight?
Old 01-17-2018, 05:27 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Tires are everything. AWD won't do crap for you if you have high performance summer tires on the car. With proper tires and weight a RWD will go like a tank in the snow.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:39 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Been going through the ritual since 2001. Late November or early Dec winter tires go on, sometime in March they come off.

Considering how little snow you do get, you could get by with all season tires perhaps. Michelin pilot sport a/s+ ?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:31 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Good to hear stealthee! I'll look into possibly AS tires in the future. Right now I have high performance summer tires. Not fun lol.

Thanks Jsolo. I'll take that advice and look into different tires in the future. The problem is I recently got new high performance summer tires on mine a few months ago lol. And I put probably less than 2 1/2 -3 miles/year on my car.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:45 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Yeah, with those tires you won't go anywhere with snow on the road. Years back I had a Mustang with winter treads and 200 lbs of cinders in the back and I drove around 4WD's that were stuck in ditches, and went anywhere I needed to go, even though people I'd never get places in a RWD.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:27 PM
KungFooFireman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
The AWD is great, IMO. This is the first time I've had an AWD and I love it but I don't really have anything to compare it to. Not just for snow and ice, but any slick conditions. My MPG's aren't really any worse than some guys RWD's on here, averaging about 20-21 this winter. I got 22-23 during the summer and I haven't been on a road trip yet so I'm sure it will go up. I've had the car for about a year now.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:54 PM
Overboard
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A little over a year ago, we had an ice storm, and nerd that I am, I had already reserved my tickets for Rogue One. Hell yes, I went.

Driving there and back on everything from slush to sheet ice, I was very impressed with the AWD and traction control + Snow Mode. My tires were (and are) Continental Extreme Contact DWS-06's, and while not a true winter tire, were less than three months old at the time, and about as good as you can get in an A/S. My fourth set over my last two cars (G37xS and WRX).
Old 01-18-2018, 07:03 AM
DV8T1
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can always get a set of snow cables, I have pairs for every vehicle I own. There stored in the garage as soon as winter comes around they get put in the trunk/boot of the vehicles. I made a trip during our storm to Gatlinburg TN(cabin was discounted as no 1 was around) with G37x all season tires. When I was up in the mountains with 8" of snow I put the chains on the tires to be safe & had no issues was driving around all types of service vehicles clearing snow/ice from streets. It was a little comical having people stare at the G drive by as if nothing was wrong. I did buy two sets of cables so all 4 tires had them on. Got them from walmart when I was in lake Tahoe a month ago. If I recall paid about $114 out the door.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:29 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
If you're happy with your car other than driving in snow it would be much cheaper to just get a set of snow or all season tires. That would make a big difference compared to summer tires.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:24 PM
nfsG37
Registered Member

Last weekend we got hit with about 6 inches of snow. I pulled the G37X out of my garage and drove up my untouched driveway with no issues. I think it performs well in the snow, and seems to get better traction and feels more stable than my 2011 Nissan Frontier 4x4 ever did in snow/ice driving, probably due to the weight distribution of the sedan and AWD system. I'm using Continental DWS06 tires.

There are some G35/G37 Youtube videos out there of G's driving in the snow...check them out sometime!
Attached Thumbnails How well do G37x perform in snow and has anyone gone from coupe to sedan?-g37x-snow.jpg  
Old 01-18-2018, 02:33 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

^^No ground clearance issues? Perhaps the X sedan sits higher than the S sedan.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:39 PM
nfsG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^No ground clearance issues? Perhaps the X sedan sits higher than the S sedan.
In this case, I didn't have any issues. I was surprised to see how well different AWD sedans go in the snow/ice with limited ground clearance.

Check out this guy taking his G37 through deep snow...

Look up on Youtube: Audi snow plow or subaru snow plow
Old 01-18-2018, 03:23 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ ha. kept waiting for the camera guy to get plowed or backed over.

OP - if you are that concerned, either get a proper set of tread for winter season or take transit to work on those rare 'snow days' in ATL.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:00 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

That was me 20 years ago in an old taxi cab with an open rear end and all season tires.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:11 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Ground clearance is overrated. My Stealth was lowered on coilovers. I drove over many unplowed roads with it and never had an issue.

Here's a pic showing how low it sat. It's a little dark, but you get the idea.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...3k/snow2re.jpg

Quick Reply: How well do G37x perform in snow and has anyone gone from coupe to sedan?