G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you feel about the G's gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:34 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
How do you feel about the G's gas mileage?

Good evening. This is not a another thread complaining about gas mileage. I am just curious how fellow G owners feel about the gas mileage of their car. I drive a 2013 G37 Journey Non-Sport. I drive 50/50 Highway and city and after three computation I average around 17 and I dont even drive the car hard. I browsed other car forums out of curiosity and was surprised with their gas mileage. Most Mustang GT owners with auto average 18 MPG and a guy claimed 16 with spirited driving and full throttle accelerations! I am surprised that the Stang gets better mpg knowing it is a V8. Such irony because I chose the G over the stang because I thought a smaller V6 would get better mileage. I also went to Lexus ISF and even C63 forums. I was surprised their cars get about the same mileage as our Gs and those cars are big V8s compared to our 3.7. I enjoy driving my G but it bugs me a little now knowing cars with bigger engines and more HP gets the same mpg. I am interested what all you other guys think!
Old 12-26-2017, 10:01 PM
KungFooFireman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I get a consistent 21-22 mpgs 60/40 highway and city respectively. I'm a little heavy footed as well so I could be getting better, but I'm fine with it. I also sit in traffic during rush hour and that kills my mpg. I also have an X model so I burn a little more gas. I haven't taken it on a road trip yet but anxious to see how well it does. Maybe you need a tune-up? 17 mpg does sound low to me.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:11 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
I have a 2011 RWD G37S I do about 70% highway 30% city and average 18-19 mpg for the last 2+ years I've owned the G.

Best MPG I've gotten was maybe 22-23mpg and this was also 70hwy/30city with heavy use of cruise control.

Tomorrow I'm going to Austin. It's about 400 miles round-trip so I'm curious to see what kind of MPG I can get. First time taking my G on a road trip.

2 weeks ago I installed a 3.692 FD rear diff and since installing the new diff my cruise control (I have adaptive cruise control) doesn't allow me to set cruise speeds above 67mph. It automatically beeps and disengages.

With that being said most of the drive will be with the cruise control set to 65mph. I'll report back with results.

Just did a oil & filter change and 12 quart transmission flush with BG fully synthetic ATF within the last 2 weeks. Car has ~75,600 miles
Old 12-27-2017, 03:16 AM
General Grim
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KungFooFireman
I get a consistent 21-22 mpgs 60/40 highway and city respectively. I'm a little heavy footed as well so I could be getting better, but I'm fine with it. I also sit in traffic during rush hour and that kills my mpg. I also have an X model so I burn a little more gas. I haven't taken it on a road trip yet but anxious to see how well it does. Maybe you need a tune-up? 17 mpg does sound low to me.
I am very surprised that you get that kind of mileage with the AWD. My car is serviced regularly with oil change every 3k miles and tire rotation. I even had my transmission fluid changed and air filter replaced. I never even go WOT and gently accelerate in the freeway. I cant help but think to myself that I might aswell gotten a V8 lol. Anyway I will be looking forward to your guy's results. I will also record my next fill up and share my results lol.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:18 AM
General Grim
Registered Member

Originally Posted by qmantran
I have a 2011 RWD G37S I do about 70% highway 30% city and average 18-19 mpg for the last 2+ years I've owned the G.

Best MPG I've gotten was maybe 22-23mpg and this was also 70hwy/30city with heavy use of cruise control.

Tomorrow I'm going to Austin. It's about 400 miles round-trip so I'm curious to see what kind of MPG I can get. First time taking my G on a road trip.

2 weeks ago I installed a 3.692 FD rear diff and since installing the new diff my cruise control (I have adaptive cruise control) doesn't allow me to set cruise speeds above 67mph. It automatically beeps and disengages.

With that being said most of the drive will be with the cruise control set to 65mph. I'll report back with results.

Just did a oil & filter change and 12 quart transmission flush with BG fully synthetic ATF within the last 2 weeks. Car has ~75,600 miles
Do you have Journey with sport package? Looking forward to your results man! And be safe on your trip! Too many reckless drivers out there eapecially this time of year lol.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:21 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I have the sport package and drive it hard usually in city. If I drive pure city I get around 320 range...highway? I can manage 420-460 miles depending on traffic congestion.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:35 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by General Grim
I never even go WOT and gently accelerate in the freeway.
Then what would be the point of a larger displacement more powerful V8?

My car gets pretty crappy MPG. 90% city driving I get 14-15 mpg.

I think the common theme with the cars you listed are that they all have relatively large displacement naturally aspirated engines.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:41 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
AWD here. DC and Bethesda traffic + stop and go commute. 110-120 miles round trip daily. 23 MPG is what I usually see. I'm very aggressive with the throttle....
Old 12-27-2017, 10:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,592 Likes on 3,437 Posts
I drive about 6k miles per year, and work at home, so the gas mileage is irrelevant. But when I bought the car, I knew exactly what the expected MPG would be, and it's not disappointed me. After 37k miles, I've still not reset the computer's MPG calculation, and it's been at 18.5 for the last six years.

It's an obvious trade-off, low MPG for a heavy sport sedan with a proper 6MT. But hobbies are personal, like opinions.

I never even go WOT and gently accelerate in the freeway.
LOL, what? I can't relate to that. Not even a little bit. And I'm an old fart. Maybe when I retire I'll get a Lincoln and drive like that, but for now I still love to drive, and I've modded my car to suit those values.

To each his own, but man... WOT happens numerous times, every time I take the car out. So in that context, and bringing my rambling comments back on topic, 18.5 MPG really isn't all that bad.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-27-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:46 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Either on my G37 or my Q50 I don't get anything above 16 MPG, I drive mostly HYW- Eh since my 335 I was getting 20 or more :/
Old 12-27-2017, 10:51 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Do you have Journey with sport package? Looking forward to your results man! And be safe on your trip! Too many reckless drivers out there eapecially this time of year lol.
Yeah I have a journey with sport package. 7AT
Old 12-27-2017, 12:44 PM
G10
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Your car's MPG varies by these following variables :

1. how long you ideal before starting to drive, auto starter/ Warming up etc.
2. how much you stuck in stop and go traffic.
3. How heavy your foot is and how much-spirited driving you do
4. What gas brand you use. Eg. Sunoco is different from Exxon. They will give you different MPG.
5. If you accidentally filled your tanks with regular gas, it will take 3 to 4 cycles of refill before your MPG will back to normal.

6. If you have summer tires, they give lesser MPG then all season. Personally, have experienced it.

...... so on so forth.

The top 6 are my personal experiences and I can say it because I use my G as my daily driver. I do 80% highway and 20% local - off-peak hours and I get 25 mpg.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Melophile

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It's all about the smiles per gallon.

I just got the MD catback recently. And what can I say, my smiles went through the roof!
Old 12-27-2017, 01:11 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
I just drive it and fill it up as needed.
My car is lowered with some camber, Cat back exhaust, 200Lbs of audio equipment. I rarely are about MPG.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:11 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I drive about 6k miles per year, and work at home, so the gas mileage is irrelevant. But when I bought the car, I knew exactly what the expected MPG would be, and it's not disappointed me. After 37k miles, I've still not reset the computer's MPG calculation, and it's been at 18.5 for the last six years.

It's an obvious trade-off, low MPG for a heavy sport sedan with a proper 6MT. But hobbies are personal, like opinions.

LOL, what? I can't relate to that. Not even a little bit. And I'm an old fart. Maybe when I retire I'll get a Lincoln and drive like that, but for now I still love to drive, and I've modded my car to suit those values.

To each his own, but man... WOT happens numerous times, every time I take the car out. So in that context, and bringing my rambling comments back on topic, 18.5 MPG really isn't all that bad.
Did not mean confuse anyone here lol, but let me revise my statement. I do drive the car spirited but for my last three trips I decided to drive conservatively as much as I can to see what is the best mileage I can get out of the car. 18.5 is actually very good considering you drive it hard and I think thr S model is heavier than non sport. I am going to drive my car spirited with multiple WOT for my next computation! I may get 19 mpg lol.

Quick Reply: How do you feel about the G's gas mileage?