Sponsored by:

AWD with Yaw Sensor Off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 08:50 PM
ay37
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
AWD with Yaw Sensor Off?

Fuel cutoff is annoying in the g37x. I love how the car handles with the computer systems all functioning normally, except for the fuel cutoff.

I know if you turn off the traction, the car still maintains the AWD.

My question is, does AWD stay maintained when I cut power to my yaw sensor (g sensor)? If TCS is disabled, that's ok, but does AWD stay on?

I also have a separate switch to disable the AWD controller and go RWD, but what I'd like to achieve is an AWD car with no fuel cutoff. Is the yaw sensor my answer? Is there any problem running the car this way?

I've run the car with the AWD controller and yaw sensor off at the same time, but what if I only cut power to the yaw sensor? Will AWD be maintained? And more importantly, is it safe? I read some guy's comment on a forum stating that his buddy tried this and his AWD system got stuck on full time... no idea how much truth that comment holds.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2016, 09:53 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Yes, the yaw sensor/bosch module does not change the AWD. It makes all the difference on launches. I run all the time with just the yaw/bosch/traction control module (all one thing) off and leave the AWD on.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:03 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
There is a way to run RWD all the time, but you'll have 2 lights on the dash on VDC,AWD. The module is behind the glove box, it's an easy unplug . I've done it few times. The car behaves different for sure,full RWD but if you punch it from a dig you'll lose traction, I've spun thorough a whole intersection LOL but I',m fully bolted was fun but EH
Old 04-28-2016, 04:33 PM
ay37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lt8Che
Yes, the yaw sensor/bosch module does not change the AWD. It makes all the difference on launches. I run all the time with just the yaw/bosch/traction control module (all one thing) off and leave the AWD on.
nice! good to know, thank you! last year, my dyno tuner kept losing enough traction in 3rd to engage the fuel cutout. Couldn't get passed 3rd gear. I want the car to be tuned using AWD, so i wanted to maintain that while disabling the traction control fully (which i assume is the only thing responsible for the fuel cutout).

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
There is a way to run RWD all the time, but you'll have 2 lights on the dash on VDC,AWD. The module is behind the glove box, it's an easy unplug . I've done it few times. The car behaves different for sure,full RWD but if you punch it from a dig you'll lose traction, I've spun thorough a whole intersection LOL but I',m fully bolted was fun but EH
haha yea, i've done the same thing! Installed a switch and spun it from 0 to about 30 mph haha.. just mashed the pedal.

The car definitely handles the best when all systems are enabled in my opinion, and it feels quicker/grippier. What I haven't determined yet is if it feels faster on the high end (highway driving) with RWD or AWD. But handling wise, it's the best with AWD and TCS fully enabled. Also out of a dig...

I attached a couple pics of my switches. Top 2 switches are for G-sensor then AWD controller. The one on the bottom next to my bass **** is for the brake torquing that worked great thanks to Lt8Che =]
Attached Thumbnails AWD with Yaw Sensor Off?-20160428_162453.jpg   AWD with Yaw Sensor Off?-20160428_162458.jpg  
Old 04-28-2016, 05:55 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
is there any DIY on wiring those up somewhere?

I know the module is behind the glovebox but thats about it..
Old 04-28-2016, 08:49 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Yes, there is at least one write up with pictures. Couldn't point you to it, though.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:47 PM
ay37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
is there any DIY on wiring those up somewhere?

I know the module is behind the glovebox but thats about it..

for AWD controller switch: https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...37x-coupe.html

for disabling tcs completely: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...n-control.html

for brake boosting/torquing: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-burnouts.html

=D
The following users liked this post:
iCrap (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 07:56 PM
ay37
Registered Member

I started this thread because I wanted to make sure the AWD with yaw sensor off wouldn't be an issue. I guess as long as I'm not drifting in AWD, the driveshaft won't get hot and become fused to the front diff, because I've seen that happen in a GTR lol. And when I read someone comment and state his friend's car got "stuck in AWD" after disabling the yaw sensor, it reminded me of the GTR incident I witnessed.

Basically, this person I know was doing donuts in the snow with the GTR and after forcing the car to spin so hard, the TCS system got totally disabled by throwing it way out of whack. The next day though, we noticed the car wouldn't leave AWD. Making slow turns became difficult just like it would be in a truck with 4x4 on. The AWD is electronically controlled, but in this instance, it got hot enough and literally welded/melted/fused together permanently lol.

With the fuel cut-off or tcs completely off, the AWD should still respond the same, but the car will be allowed to be pushed to its furthest limits and could cause a problem. That was my only worry and thus why I asked if anyone else had an opinion on driving with the yaw-sensor off. Probably not exactly the same scenario anyway...