General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Turning off awd in G37x coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 PM
ckau

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turning off awd in G37x coupe

I was wondering if anyone knew a way and had experience making their awd into a rwd. I have done a few searches and came back with very little info. I did find this.

[FX35 03-08] VDC & AWD Fully Off - How To

Is it possible and if so could it cause any problems to do it once in a while?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:19 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
There is probably a way to do this, but probably a good amount of work and not worth the pain.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:48 AM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why would you want to turn off the awd? It doesn't really get in the way...just can't do burnouts. Don't think you would save gas mileage since you still have to carry the weight of the awd systems and overcome the inertia to rotate the components.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 AM
YewWanSum

take out the fuse for it..takes 5 mins..btw our cars by default are always rwd unless the awd system detects slippage then it can put up to 50% of power into either of the two front wheels...
Old 05-17-2012, 04:03 PM
ckau

I can't find a fuse that is for the awd. I am not trying to get better handling or mpg I can all ready get 29 on the highway. I just want to be able to get rear of the car out easier and to spin the tires off the start. I love the car and have no problem with it I just think that you should be able to select rwd or awd, if the car can do it when the computer tell it to.
The following users liked this post:
JoshFromTha816 (09-21-2021)
Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 PM
YewWanSum

Originally Posted by ckau
I can't find a fuse that is for the awd. I am not trying to get better handling or mpg I can all ready get 29 on the highway. I just want to be able to get rear of the car out easier and to spin the tires off the start. I love the car and have no problem with it I just think that you should be able to select rwd or awd, if the car can do it when the computer tell it to.
They wont tell you which fuse is for the AWD directly...I cannot remmeber what its called i have to check later for u
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 AM
jsp872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I honestly don't even know when the AWD is on,
I know there is a light on the dash for it but it never turns on or blinks,
Although it did come on this one time in the rain when my car almost spun out and hit the median going at 80mph.
I actually try to make it turn on in the winter in an empty parking lot, wannabe drifting, but it doesn't come on...
So i dont even know how to trigger it on.. lol
Old 05-22-2012, 03:33 PM
G37X-Mars
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any update?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Fico

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jsp872
I honestly don't even know when the AWD is on,
I know there is a light on the dash for it but it never turns on or blinks,
Although it did come on this one time in the rain when my car almost spun out and hit the median going at 80mph.
I actually try to make it turn on in the winter in an empty parking lot, wannabe drifting, but it doesn't come on...
So i dont even know how to trigger it on.. lol
the "AWD" light is only there when there a a Problem with the AWD system so its not something you ever want to see.
The slip light is your best indicator or the sudden cut in power associated with the TCS
Old 08-22-2013, 09:25 PM
mark1478

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Would love to know this too is could possibly run a staggered setup
Old 10-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Longeron

Possible

Alright guys, I'm new here

I had to register just to let you know that it's possible to convert our G's into RWD without any parts being removed or modified, so what I did is just rewired one wire which sends signal to ecu on awd and if you disconnect or bypass this particular wire your G will become fully rwd since second generation no matter if it's a coupe or sedan has digital all wheel drive compare to any of these r32-r33 and first gen G where you just pull of a fuse. So step by step

1) you will need some electrical tape
2) switcher (anything and anywhere you want to place, just measure wires to the spot you want)
3) most important knowing which of the trany ecu wire responsible for awd.

So it took me little over 30 minutes from the beginning to the end.

Simply remove your glove box and plastic cover behind it with 7 screws I believe...basically get to that cabin filter I would say.
as soon as you got there find the wire

Wire you need is located on that little ecu circled with red and you are going to cut the black coverage and look for orange wire in corner right beside black, you will than have to strip orange wire which is the one you need and this wire is responsible for sending signal to the front for the awd system. Strip it and connect each wire of your switcher to the each of orange sides, so now you will be able to turn off and turn on your awd. Isolate everything and install your glove box back.
I've been running with this trick for over 10k now and nothing happened, drive hard, even harder now since I can drift and spin tires so my set was gone in 2 weeks...not too quick but still, I run on 20x9.5 so imagine what you can do on 18-19"
Just for you to know you will have your AWD light on and that is not be scared of, it means your awd had been successfuly turned off and now you can crash and smash...be careful since you better not play with switcher while car is on or moving, turn switch on and off while your engine is off and you will be fine, if you didn't get AWD light on dash ON after driving a few meters that means you need to switch it again simply because and is still active and probably your switch is keep passing signal since it's not in off position.

Trust me it's been tested by many people including me, I'm not the one who will mess up with electronic systems if it's not been proven or tested so you can easely go for it and hopefully I saved some buck to you guys
P.s now I have to update my profile and stay here...lol

Btw my car is G35x 2008 sedan auto. (Second gen) and remains the same for all second G's no matter if it coupe or sedan 37 or 35. Let me know if you got any questions regardless this mode.
Ulises Corrales (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Herostar
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can anyone else verify the modification described above?

Can anyone else verify that the AWD in our vehicles is truly electronically activated?

I would hate to screw up the drivetrain just because I want to do a burnout... hehehe
Old 12-14-2014, 06:36 PM
sush

i tried this out earlier this week. worked like a charm, thanks for posting the instructions Longeron! My setup looked slightly different from that in Longeron pics, check out my attached pics. I extended the wires out and added a little toggle switch to control the AWD (in the glove box).

Side Note: I was wondering if this was an analogue signal sent by the computer? and if extending the cable too much would degrade it...maybe effect performance of front when it does kick in? i could be over thinking this, or if its digital signal we're fine. i was doubtful of extending the switch all the way to the drivers steering wheel, near to the VDC button or something...

Anyhow, otherwise, I can turn off the car, flip the witch and have AWD on and off as i please. awesome! can't wait to do doughnuts in a snow filled parking lot!

2009 infinity g37xS sedan
Attached Thumbnails Turning off awd in G37x coupe-20141208_195757.jpg   Turning off awd in G37x coupe-20141208_232711.jpg   Turning off awd in G37x coupe-20141208_191627.jpg  
TelephasicG (02-17-2015)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:46 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by sush
i tried this out earlier this week. worked like a charm, thanks for posting the instructions Longeron! My setup looked slightly different from that in Longeron pics, check out my attached pics. I extended the wires out and added a little toggle switch to control the AWD (in the glove box).

Side Note: I was wondering if this was an analogue signal sent by the computer? and if extending the cable too much would degrade it...maybe effect performance of front when it does kick in? i could be over thinking this, or if its digital signal we're fine. i was doubtful of extending the switch all the way to the drivers steering wheel, near to the VDC button or something...

Anyhow, otherwise, I can turn off the car, flip the witch and have AWD on and off as i please. awesome! can't wait to do doughnuts in a snow filled parking lot!

2009 infinity g37xS sedan
Be careful not to overfill your glovebox. You don't want something hitting that switch while you're doing doughnuts in a snow filled parking low
Old 03-10-2015, 09:51 AM
Fico

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
i wanted to check back into this thread since its been a couple months and wondering if anyone had any issues that arose from the modification or if things are still working how they should

Quick Reply: Turning off awd in G37x coupe