G37 Sedan

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Old 06-20-2019, 10:32 AM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
4 post with a jacking tray so I can still get the wheels off. the main purpose will be for parking / stacking cars so I don't want to do a 2 post.
The alignment guy claimed he couldn't get the camber and toe in spec even with the arms though. He got the toe in but he said if he adjusted the camber it also affected the toe, which makes no sense to me at all. So now i've got -2.4 on one side and -1.6 on the other.... Im considering just finding a shop which works on modded cars rather than firestone/ merchants, etc..

I purchased a lifetime alignment from my local Michel Tires Plus/Firestone but every time I try to get an alignment it's like the Spanish Inquisition. They try to weasel out of honoring the contract due to my car being lowered but my setup hasn't materially changed since they sold me the alignment. Recently I had new tires put on along with an alignment and everything was so "off" at Firestone, I ended paying for a new alignment and re-balancing at a local shop that specializes in suspensions.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:36 AM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Stachuu

By the way, when your car feels like it sort of floats as you drive, its sign of bad stabilizer links.

I had one rear end-link that was l was loose and it really hampered the handling. I replaced both rears but this has become a part that I replace every 2 years.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-20-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:52 AM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
I recommend drilling them out and using rivnuts. That's what I did with mine and installed all new hardware. Even my splitter just bolts into place now.
Very interested in rivnuts approach... I nuked a few bolts on the tray doing coolant work.
What sizes did you use? I assume drill hole, press fit the riv-nut and its good to go?

How did you address the bolts attached to the plastic (far edges where the tray meets the fender-liner). The plastic is all FUBARD and its zip-tied together for the time being.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:23 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 585 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by BeeW
Very interested in rivnuts approach... I nuked a few bolts on the tray doing coolant work.
What sizes did you use? I assume drill hole, press fit the riv-nut and its good to go?

How did you address the bolts attached to the plastic (far edges where the tray meets the fender-liner). The plastic is all FUBARD and its zip-tied together for the time being.
I used them on the plastic bits too. Because of the way theyre designed, they just need a thin sheet of material to attach to. If the holes are torn to shreds, like two of mine were, I cut out the damaged areas and epoxied a new piece of plastic in there first. Its a bit of a hodge podge, but it works amazingly. Alternatively, you can use those threaded clips that come on the car already.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:21 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Thanks for the Info Hexoitic, that will be my next weekends project.
Today, I finished the BBK upgrade. This is the only photo I took... Never get the urge to document the process.

I did silicone coolant hoses too, but never took a shot. Looks nice and should last forever. 🤷
Getting pilot pro sports fitted tomorrow too.,

Then to the track in July! Any preventative maintenance to do beforehand?
Old 06-24-2019, 12:16 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 448 Likes on 376 Posts
I've never had good luck with general alignment shops with all my sports cars. The one general shop I used did good work on my Jeep but it was a used-to-be Firestone that was now independent.

I usually find out who corner weights race cars locally and go to them. Failing that, I find someone that has a staff parking lot containing a few modded sports cars - they generally will at least work with you if you're more picky than "here's the spec range in the book".

Then I started doing my own, but I can only do camber and toe with the equipment I have.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:36 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 585 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by BeeW
Thanks for the Info Hexoitic, that will be my next weekends project.
Today, I finished the BBK upgrade. This is the only photo I took... Never get the urge to document the process.

I did silicone coolant hoses too, but never took a shot. Looks nice and should last forever. 🤷
Getting pilot pro sports fitted tomorrow too.,

Then to the track in July! Any preventative maintenance to do beforehand?
Not so much a maintenance bit as an upgrade, but if it's within budget, try to get a transmission cooler. On a hot day, just a few laps in, you start to feel it bog down. Never had oil cooling issues, but tranny (7AT, not sure if the 6mt has the same troubles) needs a cooler for consistent track days.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:58 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
I've never had good luck with general alignment shops with all my sports cars. The one general shop I used did good work on my Jeep but it was a used-to-be Firestone that was now independent.

I usually find out who corner weights race cars locally and go to them. Failing that, I find someone that has a staff parking lot containing a few modded sports cars - they generally will at least work with you if you're more picky than "here's the spec range in the book".

Then I started doing my own, but I can only do camber and toe with the equipment I have.
How are you doing your own? Thats something i'd like to look into since Im so sick of dealing with these crap shops. I imagine it will be doable once I get my 4post lift in
Old 06-25-2019, 10:51 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by iCrap
How are you doing your own? Thats something i'd like to look into since Im so sick of dealing with these crap shops. I imagine it will be doable once I get my 4post lift in
I made camber and float plates out of aluminum.

The camber plates are about 30" long and 15" high and 1/8" sheet aluminum, with the edges bent on a brake at 45*.

basically: \__*__________/

Next, I cut slots about 1" in from the lower edges, where the * is in the diagram above, on both sides.

The plate sits upright against the tire, so the bends point out and the large flat is flush against the tire or rim if it projects any. Put 10' tape measures' hooks in the slots on one side and pull through the slots on the other side. Difference in measurement is toe.

Since the large flat is against the wheel, an inclinometer can be used to determine camber. I used to use a fancy digital inclinometer a racing buddy had, but then switched to using an iPhone with the compass / level app.

Last, since moving the tires generates twist and friction so that your setting changes aren't accurately reflected, I use slip plates under the wheels. For each wheel, two 12" x 12" squares of aluminum, flat and buffed smooth, with a little motor oil between them to allow the suspension to move without binding.

Feels a little ghetto if your fab skills aren't the best, but works WAY better than the jackstand-and-string method of doing toe and doesn't take hours to get set up right.
The following users liked this post:
iCrap (06-26-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:28 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I would really be interested in seeing the set-up and procedure you described in a DIY video if you're up for it Mike. No pressure but I think it would be something really informative and helpful for a lot of enthusiasts who would like to learn.
The following users liked this post:
iCrap (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:28 AM
OldG2NewG
Registered Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Picked up an incomplete typhoon intake setup from OfferUp for super cheap. Now to see if I can source the other parts. I wonder if the heat shields are necessary and if so would k&n just sell me one lol. Time to find out.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:09 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Well, I learned it from old-school SCCA IT-A and IT-S racers and wrenchers. Find those folks, volunteer on a weekend race, and you'll learn a ton.

I'm not much of the videographer. I've been contemplating videoing before and after with the FI full exhaust, but the thought of trying to edit that together gives me a headache. I can do audio editing pretty well - the video, not so much.

Anyone near Charleston want to help with that sort of a video? I've got an older canon point-n-shoot that does decent video, and a few iPhone models to mess with too.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:39 PM
deepblue3
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Got a company called biosweep to come and run their proprietary machine on my car to remove cigarette odor. It’s better. Got them to do it again. Hopeful about total removal this time.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:45 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 235 Posts
Test-fitted new grill (OEM converted to mesh)...as expected, MUCH better fitment that the aftermarket "CMOD" grill I had on before.

Grill's not even bolted in completely, but snapped some photos. Finished product will have:
1) grill frame wrapped in gloss black vinyl
2) replace metal mesh with plastic mesh (diamond ABS to match lower grill)
3) Fuji logo measured (it's just dangling on in the photo)

The following 3 users liked this post by STownSaint:
blck-magic (07-16-2019), philttz (06-28-2019), RosaP-37S-G (07-01-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 03:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,564 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Very nice! Good for you, improving on what you started. That has the potential to look OEM perfect.

You could almost just not use the Fuji at all with this new grille.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?