G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 02:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,572 Likes on 3,423 Posts
OEM (with Magnaflow tips welded to the cans)

ARK Grip - ARK | GRiP | Infiniti Q40 (G35/G37) Sedan (07-15)

Fast Intentions - http://www.fastintentions.com/produc...products_id/77

Which can be ordered in 2.25" or 2.5" pipes, with resonator delete or 12" or 18"

Their x-pipe design is pretty sleek. And the bends are smooth.

OBX - Home - OBX Racing Sports

Wait, I can't find OBX catback for the Sedan.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-22-2018 at 02:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rich11G37xS (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:39 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Looking at these pictures actually makes me remember something. Weight. I have no idea on OBX so I'll skip that.

ARK weighs significantly more than FI or MD exhaust. I think 77lb. Vaguely remember FI/MD to weigh more around the 57lb range or lighter. I just remember there being a significant weight difference. Upside though, ARK is going to withstand bumps and scrapes a lot better.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:42 PM
markyo0o

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyG37
To add on with what Rochester said, the ARK also hangs alot lower compared to the F.I. I think most individuals on this forum tend to choose F.I. unless (1) They don't want to wait for the build-time or (2) They want soemthing more aggressive like MD or GTHAUS or (3) They want a cheaper alternative therefore leading into OBX, axle backs, custom exhausts, etc.

I think people tend to pick ARK because it is known as one of the "deeper" exhaust tones. Thats why I picked it over the F.I at the time I bought it as well as not wanted to wait for the build-time. But if you are going to slam your car, I would avoid ARK. If its a moderate drop to get rid of the wheel gap, then you might be able to get away with the ARK and not scraping after every bump / driveway. To give you an idea, I was on stock 4x4 ride height and I still scrapped on deep driveways.
This is great insight, gracias.. Was planning on getting the ARK but I plan on lowering my G a lot.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by kroy
Looking at these pictures actually makes me remember something. Weight. I have no idea on OBX so I'll skip that.

ARK weighs significantly more than FI or MD exhaust. I think 77lb. Vaguely remember FI/MD to weigh more around the 57lb range or lighter. I just remember there being a significant weight difference. Upside though, ARK is going to withstand bumps and scrapes a lot better.
I got to admit, that never crossed my mind. And I don't know why, because I think it would have. Weird.

Great point about weight.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:52 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by afrayedknot
Hello Exhaust Enthusiasts,

I would have an exhaust that sounds very similar, if not the same, as this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKmlk8dLwRM.
I love this video, it's one of the reasons I went the custom route in the first place. Can you find enough info on his setup to replicate it? I'd scratch all of your ideas and just go that route if you can, since your wanting a similar sound.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:06 PM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyG37
To add on with what Rochester said, the ARK also hangs alot lower compared to the F.I. I think most individuals on this forum tend to choose F.I. unless (1) They don't want to wait for the build-time or (2) They want soemthing more aggressive like MD or GTHAUS or (3) They want a cheaper alternative therefore leading into OBX, axle backs, custom exhausts, etc.

I think people tend to pick ARK because it is known as one of the "deeper" exhaust tones. Thats why I picked it over the F.I at the time I bought it as well as not wanted to wait for the build-time. But if you are going to slam your car, I would avoid ARK. If its a moderate drop to get rid of the wheel gap, then you might be able to get away with the ARK and not scraping after every bump / driveway. To give you an idea, I was on stock 4x4 ride height and I still scrapped on deep driveways.
I really have no plans to drop the car though Id like to, but being in pothole city NY, that kind of scares me, lol, also with NY they salt the roads, wondering how the OBX would hold up as opposed to the ARK in these conditions, the OBX is a good choice because with the money saved between the 2 I could put on HFC, so it really a decision im thinking through, getting your guys' opinion are very appreciated, y'all know what your talking about, I always trust Rochester as he seems knowledgeable...that's not a knock on anyone else, I just seem to see more of his posts...gonna think this through a little longer...
Old 06-22-2018, 03:08 PM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Catback....c100290.m3507 Here it is on EBAY...looks almost identical to the ARK
Old 06-22-2018, 03:13 PM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
OEM (with Magnaflow tips welded to the cans)

Which can be ordered in 2.25" or 2.5" pipes, with resonator delete or 12" or 18"

Their x-pipe design is pretty sleek. And the bends are smooth.

$1505+ tax and shipping ?? for the FI with 2.5" tubing and a 12" resonator
Old 06-22-2018, 03:33 PM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

Its too bad HKS only makes the axle back for the sedan, I saw they ma
ke a full catback , but only for the coupes
Old 06-22-2018, 03:55 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich11G37xS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Catback....c100290.m3507 Here it is on EBAY...looks almost identical to the ARK
Honestly, for $600, I'd just take a risk and go OBX. I've always heard they made a good knockoff. Even if you have little issues with fitment, it's worth it to me for the savings.
Rich11G37xS (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 04:34 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rich11G37xS
$1505+ tax and shipping ?? for the FI with 2.5" tubing and a 12" resonator
Yep.

Let me tell you, WOT in 2nd gear through an underpass... it's pretty awesome. Just did that a little while ago with a huge, childish grin on my face.

But it's a combination of things. 2.5" pipes, 18" resonators, resonated high-flow cats, resonated tips, and an aftermarket intake.
Rich11G37xS (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 10:44 AM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
I love this video, it's one of the reasons I went the custom route in the first place. Can you find enough info on his setup to replicate it? I'd scratch all of your ideas and just go that route if you can, since your wanting a similar sound.
I have a pretty good grasp on how to replicate it, but I want to experiment with a slightly different setup that will hopefully be a bit quieter. I'm going to keep my stock resonators and replace the magnaflow 3 chambers with the 2 chambered mufflers and see how it turns out. I'm expecting a similar tone, but just at a lower decibel. If all else fails, I can always revert to the setup in that video, and I know exactly how that'll sound. Hopefully I'll be able to generate a sound clip that is worth posting.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:02 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Hey look at this, a thread about the OBX catback for the sedan!

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...pics-vids.html

Price is great, fitment looks good, design looks OK, welds are awkwardly discolored... kind of steam-punk looking.

Rich11G37xS (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

well that's why I do like the ARK, no welds, the ARK may last years ? will the OBX be able to stand the NY winter salted winter roads?? will it be durable??...will I have to replace it sooner than the ARK ? these are my concerns... saving $700 is big , but in the end, will it be a mistake to go cheaper ?....I do like the FI, but hell at this point I might as well wait till next spring being that its a special order...but honestly, the OBX looks decent though Rochester pointed out a few flaws...flaws that concern me
Old 06-25-2018, 05:18 PM
strodda
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Probably should have posted my exhaust video here first. But here was a quick trip back from the post office. Video isnt the best, as I used my phone to record while being held in place with the passenger seat headrest. OBX(grip), Berks and intakes.

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread