G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone else find the sedan horribly plain looking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Imua1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elohel
I'm trying to decide between a few cars. I really like the performance and aftermarket aspect of the G37x. The interior kind of sucks for a car of this price, but I've gotten over that. One thing I can't seem to get past is the way the exterior of this car looks. It honestly reminds me of just a plain, boring family sedan. There is nothing sporty looking about it, and I wouldn't even give it a second glance if I just saw one drive by. I've been looking on this site in vain for days trying to find one person with a nice, attention-grabbing sedan, and all i find over and over again are.. coupes. Anyone else ever felt this way and had the car grow on them after some time?
==========
I believe the G sedan has nice lines and a sporty design. The interior is clean and the controls are way easier to use than the complex german cars (technology over done for technology's sake)The Sport "S" model looks even better.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

I think 15mm square on an xS with 18" x 7.5" sport rims, but don't recall directly. Ask him. Dude loves talking about his car.

Not me. I think Swift springs nails the perfect height, baring dialing it in yourself with coilovers.
Well my older brother just recently talked me out coilovers due to shocks wearing out quickly( I'm talking about the lower shelf coilovers , because 2.5k KWs are not in my budget) so he talked me into a strut/shock & spring setup like the Koni yellows(with adjustable height of the seat) paired up with either Swift or Eibach or H&R which might work and be the best idea but I'm a little hesitant because they're made for the coupes yet some people made them work on sedans...

On the other hand doing just springs is not an option because Im not going to be cheap especially considering the fact that week after putting springs on the shocks are shot... and honestly I dont know how people just get lowering springs for their Gs... since these cars certainly arent 90s Civics..
Old 11-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
and honestly I dont know how people just get lowering springs for their Gs... since these cars certainly arent 90s Civics..
If the lowering springs contribute in a positive and significant way to the car's handling, then there's your motivation right there. However, I'm not convinced that's the case, because most all of the people who use lowering springs are doing it to drop their car, handling be damned. And it seems like on this forum, the majority of coil-over owners are doing it to customize the drop... not for the handling or the adjustable damping. It's kind of weird. I'd love to have CO's, but I still wouldn't drop the car anything significant. 1/2" maybe, if that.

You know, I have a driveway ramp off the road that precludes this consideration anyway... not that I need an excuse.

I do happen to have one, though.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-26-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:54 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
I scraped once when new and have driven around in a state of paranoia since (after I spent hours buffing the touch up paint). I personally do not like the look of the car when the fender gaps are completely eliminated. For lack of a better term, it looks 'broken'. I do think that if I was able to find a nice 1/2 drop solution all around, I would consider it in the future when the shocks need replaced (I did this on my 04 with Coupe springs and it looked nice). For now, the sport suspension is fairly well balanced and I'd hate to screw with the factory ride.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Mik3G37S

If the lowering springs contribute in a positive and significant way to the car's handling, then there's your motivation right there. However, I'm not convinced that's the case, because most all of the people who use lowering springs are doing it to drop their car, handling be damned. And it seems like on this forum, the majority of coil-over owners are doing it to customize the drop... not for the handling or the adjustable damping. It's kind of weird. I'd love to have CO's, but I still wouldn't drop the car anything significant. 1/2" maybe, if that.

You know, I have a driveway ramp off the road that precludes this consideration anyway... not that I need an excuse.

I'm sorry for not being as clear as I would want to be as English is my 2nd language so excuse me there lol. And I know that most people with CO's on their cars are doing it to customize the drop and I would like that too but would definitely never want to slam my DD car and lose any sort of practicality especially in NJ-NY-CT metro area... seen it done but thats just stupid with all these bad roads especially in NYC..

Now back to my point of the previous statement.... What I was trying to say was how do some people on here just get lowering springs and thats it?? The OEM shocks/struts are not made for lowering springs and therefore are not going to work well with each other... especially sometime after installation of springs when shocks/struts are gonna be shot ... thats why if you go for aftermarket lowering springs there are also aftermarket shocks made for lowering springs. ... yet people just get lowering springs... and I dont know how they like it
Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Elohel

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I noticed the same thing on here. I'm actually a little disappointed. I come from the civic community (turbo'd 07 Civic here), and we're constantly labeled as the 'ricer' community. My car has an actual track suspension setup on it, a turbo kit making over 400 hp, etc. I look at the modded cars on here and they're often slammed to the ground on just springs, disgusting 20" wheels, tires that look like this / \. The irony is overwhelming at times.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:33 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Said it before and will say it again...still can't believe how obsessed everyone is over looks. Its a machine, a car. It's not a pair of earrings or a purse. For me it just has to be presentable and that's it.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Elohel
I look at the modded cars on here and they're often slammed to the ground on just springs, disgusting 20" wheels, tires that look like this / \. The irony is overwhelming at times.
Yes, that's true. I don't understand it either. It's just different automotive values, is all.

And as I was recently reminded... it's a big tent, so live & let live.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:56 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Eibach Pro competition kit dropped my sedan a classy 1.25" in the back and .75" in the front. Handling has improved greatly. No more nose dives on breaking or squating on acceleration. The G doesn't sway to the left or right when "manuvering" the mean streets of Lauderdale either. I recommend this kit, but change your shocks while your suspension is apart.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:58 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I hated my eibach suspension. I thought the car drove and handled better on stock sport suspension with sway bars. On the eibach is was like riding in a 1 ton truck. I don't have large ****, but that suspension made me want to go to the gym to firm them up so they wouldn't bounce everywhere.

Some can get by a ****ty ride or "perceived better" handling for better looks, but I am too old for that ****. I don't look at my car on the outside. I drive it, and I drive it hard. Feels better with sways and the stock suspension.
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 06:04 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

My point for changing the shocks was just that. My car bounced all over the place after the install. 3 weeks later I had new shocks put in and the difference was night and day. To me the suspension firmed up the control, then the shocks improved the overall ride.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by warped ideas
Eibach Pro competition kit dropped my sedan a classy 1.25" in the back and .75" in the front. Handling has improved greatly. No more nose dives on breaking or squating on acceleration. The G doesn't sway to the left or right when "manuvering" the mean streets of Lauderdale either. I recommend this kit, but change your shocks while your suspension is apart.
Thats exactly what I was trying to find out but apparently nobody could amswer a simple question... so if you go with any of the lowering springs for our sedans out there... which shocks do you recommend to pair up with the springs?
Anyone wanna add their $0.02 on this?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:19 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Oh Boy! Here it comes. The opinions are endless my friend. Just like mine.... I used OEM shocks from my dealer. They've been working fine for me. I'm sure there are much better shocks out there but I didn't have the $$$ to fork over after doing the Suspension, Rims, & Tires all at once.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
Thats exactly what I was trying to find out but apparently nobody could amswer a simple question... so if you go with any of the lowering springs for our sedans out there... which shocks do you recommend to pair up with the springs?
Anyone wanna add their $0.02 on this?
For years on Maxima.org, Tokico Illumina struts were considered the best choice for struts to match lowering springs. Adjustable damping, too.

The Tokico Blues were considered better-than-oem replacements matched with OEM springs, but there was a lot of advice not to use them with lowering springs.

I have no idea if they make Illumina for the G, but I do know I've never run across reference to them here.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:25 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Forgot to mention MIK3G37S that you will need to have your car re-aligned after putting 150-200 miles on the car, with the Eibach kits. This allows for the new coils to break in. The shop I went to brought this to my attention and there wasn't any charge since they supplied the parts & labor.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else find the sedan horribly plain looking?