My boy had a little bender totaled or not place your bets

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 01:18 PM
CrashTestDumby
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Education

Originally Posted by akochman
If there was no one in the passenger seat when he got into the accident that would explain why only the driver's side airbag deployed...

In February my convertible was totaled. got hit by a minivan going about 60 from behind. My airbags didn't deploy... thought that was strange too. Walked away from it so I guess these cars do their job safety wise.
Your airbags did EXACTLY what they were designed to do. You weren't hit on the side nor did you have a frontal impact. Perhaps if you'd been pushed into something in front of you hard enough, the front airbags would have THEN deployed, but they weren't needed, so they did NOT deploy, if they had, they may have been needlessly wasted.

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
He's a good friend of mine, not my son. That's kinda funny.
He is a close friend, not my son.
Using slang he's my boy(close friend)
Once I got blasted in my coupe, no airbags deployed.
Front end had over 15k in damage, wasnt to happy about that.
I'm quite versed in how airbags work, or in this case lack of.
The airbags job is to protect the driver, ive seen light hits engage side front & passenger passengers airbags even wothout passengers in the car.

Fact is he had a high speed contact with one airbag is still wierd.
If a car going forward hit another car or a wall etc really hard in the front and only the side airbags deployed but not the fronts, that could be considered weird.
If a car was violently broadsided but only a front airbag was deployed, that could be considered weird too (unless it was not equipped with side airbags), BUT,

Being hit from behind and shoved into a car in front, with only the drivers airbag being deployed (no passengers), no matter how hard, is actually considered NORMAL, especially by the engineers who designed it.
It is ONLY "weird" to you and others who don't understand PROPER airbag deployment factors.
Yes it is a fact that your son, or boy, or friend that's a boy, boyfriend or whatever your slang says he is, had a high speed contact with only one airbag going off. However, the fact that he indeed had a "high speed contact" (collision) and only one airbag deployed, does not necessarily mean there was a malfunction and by no means should it be considered "weird" by anyone unless perhaps they have a skewed perception of why airbags are deployed in the first place as you obviously have. You seem to have "learned" about the operation of airbags by some experiences you've had. Having been "blasted" (a poor description of the actual incident) without any airbags deployed means little. These experiences you've had are not necessarily indicative of the proper operation of airbags however! They could possibly deploy when they seem to not be needed and sometimes the opposite happens too. (We may call these type of phenomenons a "malfunction") Having been hit from directly behind and or directly from the front, no matter how hard, does NOT mean the side airbags should also be deployed as you apparently believe. I'm not sure why you didn't learn this by reading monkey's post, it was pretty clear imo. Each airbag bank, front and sides, has it's own sensor. If the direction of impact does not dictate it, the non needed airbags will NOT deploy.
Believe it or not, airbag deployment does NOT depend only on the severity of the impact, it also depends on the direction of the hit.
Your skewed perception of airbag operations reminds me of an airbag myth I've seen around here on numerous occasions.
While not mentioned in this thread, many times people say/write that a car will be considered totaled if any airbags are deployed. While this may be the case at times, it is not simply because of the airbag deployment, it just adds significant amounts to the repair cost, which may then be enough to consider it totaled.

If after reading my post, you still don't understand and you think that the examples you posted are "weird", try reading mine a few more times. If it still isn't making sense to you, we'll just chalk it up to English being a secondary language, at least that would be my guess, if I had to after reading your other previous posts elsewhere.
I hope I've helped to clear up some misconceptions here, if not, well, sometimes nothing can. Good Luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by CrashTestDumby:
R.G.I.O.D.M.F. (07-23-2013), SooEasyaMonkey (07-22-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 01:57 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
EDIT: I will learn how to post appropriately

Last edited by G37Sam; 06-30-2013 at 04:57 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RISKY GUY:
CrashTestDumby (07-20-2013), R.G.I.O.D.M.F. (07-23-2013), SooEasyaMonkey (07-22-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 02:03 PM
RISKY GUY

EDIT: I will learn how to post appropriately

Last edited by G37Sam; 06-30-2013 at 04:57 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RISKY GUY:
CrashTestDumby (07-20-2013), R.G.I.O.D.M.F. (07-23-2013), SooEasyaMonkey (07-22-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 01:19 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Any updates about the car/insurance and what they've said so far?
Old 06-27-2013, 02:54 PM
baileyrx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
totalled...
Old 06-27-2013, 04:04 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This looks WAY worse than mine was ... and mine was totaled. Glad he was not hurt .. but sorry for the loss.
The following users liked this post:
RISKY GUY (06-30-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 04:52 PM
R.G.I.O.D.M.F.
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Will keep you guys posted, he's a young guy.
Scary thing was only ds airbag went off, no side curtain?
Fact is he had a high speed contact with one airbag is still wierd.
Hi Risky Guy. Sorry about what happened to your friends car. I have a question. Why should the side curtain airbag go off if the car had only front/rear damage? Was it hit on the side as well or are the airbags all supposed to go off at the same time if the car is hit really hard?
Thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by R.G.I.O.D.M.F.:
CrashTestDumby (07-20-2013), SooEasyaMonkey (07-22-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 04:37 AM
RISKY GUY

As far as I understood, the car has various sensors to determine when to deploy.
On a 3/4 hit in the nose why would it no go off.
I was involved in a nasty front end crash.
The main airbag never deployed.
Witnesed a t bone hit & side curtain went off.
So I guess it depends on angle & speed.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:37 AM
RISKY GUY

Originally Posted by baileyrx
totalled...
For sure. It's done.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:04 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I am pretty sure all leases from Infiniti have to include gap coverage. Insurance pays and if there is any debt left gap pays, then the contract ends. Other leasing companies may not include gap.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:05 AM
RISKY GUY

It's being fixed 14k in damages, thanks for playing guess the total game.
Zero frame damages & all cosmetic, just a front lower link broke.
The rest is all bodywork.
He's not happy.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:02 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
$14K in repairs? He is happy? Is the repairs done or it is just the prelim estimate? IDK, but I would not be happy if, I was starting at 14K repair estimate, I would be talking about getting the car totaled.. In my experience, they started at about 9K, then a few more change orders, after eventually being at 23K when I actually got to drive my car home. The second time I had major damage, I told another (because the previous one decided to milk my insurance) body shop to cut the BS so they came in at about 21K at the beginning, thus totaling the car..

In any case, I hope your buddy is made whole.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:00 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by FourT2
$14K in repairs? He is happy? Is the repairs done or it is just the prelim estimate? IDK, but I would not be happy if, I was starting at 14K repair estimate, I would be talking about getting the car totaled.. In my experience, they started at about 9K, then a few more change orders, after eventually being at 23K when I actually got to drive my car home. The second time I had major damage, I told another (because the previous one decided to milk my insurance) body shop to cut the BS so they came in at about 21K at the beginning, thus totaling the car..

In any case, I hope your buddy is made whole.
He said he's NOT happy.
That is a heavy damage estimate and like 4T2 mentioned could very well go higher, especially factoring in extra labor that may be needed to get all the gaps correct and any paint that may not come out to the owners satisfaction.
Hope it works out as it's getting very close to what should be considered totaled.