G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What other car(s) were you considering before you bought the G Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 01:07 AM
757G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 335i
BMW 328i
Hyundai Sonata
VW Jetta
Acura TL
IS350
Old 05-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Mustang 5.0s have also been ignored, but understandable since this is the sedan forum.
Not true. The Mustang GT and Camaro SS were each high on my list. In fact, I had been planning on the Camaro for years, ever since the prototype made an appearance. I guess I was trying to recapture something from when I was younger and ripping up the suburbs in my TransAm.

Unfortunately, after actually spending time with both the Camaro and the Mustang 5.0 GT, I realized these cars are best left in my past. Too crude, too tacky, too much grunt... too domestic. I suppose I just don't like American cars anymore.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:58 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Did she think she was going to ride in the back seat or the trunk??

Back on subject, was looking at the Z, but the G was higher class, and longer wheelbase gave it a better ride.
She did ride in the backseat on the test drive even though I told her to let the salesman sit there. I would have made her sit in the front and re-evaluate had I decided that's what I really wanted. One of my biggest gripes with the coupe is something little, but I could not find a comfortable position to put my left arm while driving, drove me nuts.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
It gives up cup holders. Seriously. This is the most lame design I've ever seen for cup holders. Fortunately for me, that was hardly a deal-breaker.

Sorry. /cupholderrant
Seriously, I've seen worse cupholders. The G's are fine.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
my cupholders in the 2010 G works just fine. even the one on the door. i'm not sure what kind of cups people are using, but for my starbucks cup, I have no issues.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Oddly enough, this turned into a pretty interesting thread. I'd like to see more people discuss the cars they considered before getting a G Sedan.

I am so sorry for mentioning these lame cup holders. Now I haz regret.

Carry on.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Oddly enough, this turned into a pretty interesting thread. I'd like to see more people discuss the cars they considered before getting a G Sedan.

I am so sorry for mentioning these lame cup holders. Now I haz regret.

Carry on.
We must be careful what we say. It doesn't take much to derail a thread.
Anyway, for those that wish to continue on about cupholders, go here Cupholder Rant Thread

Now, a bit more on topic...
Since 2007, when I bought my first G, I have test driven most of the 'comparable' AWD or RWD cars mentioned in this thread.

- Did anyone cross shop the Genesis coupe or sedan. I have never driven one and wonder what they are like? I am more interested in hearing about the coupe, The sedan is too generic looking for my taste.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
- Did anyone cross shop the Genesis coupe or sedan. I have never driven one and wonder what they are like? I am more interested in hearing about the coupe, The sedan is too generic looking for my taste.
Or the Kia Optima 2.0T. Which I test-drove, actually. But for a friend.

Fine car for the money, but not something I wanted or was interested in, even though it turns my head every time I see one. Particularly in black or white.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Drove a 2010 Coupe 3.8 & Sedan, the sedan was pretty nice if you want something along the lines of a Lexus ES or Toyota Avalon, nice looking exterior IMO. The sedan was a bit floaty on the road, not as connected as I thought it would be, pretty quiet cabin and well appointed. The coupe was very cheap looking inside, nothing like the classier sedan, acres of plastic everywhere. The drive was OK, suspension was a bit sloppy IMO and road noise was a bit excessive. Exterior screams "bioy racer" IMO and than back quarter window looks like an afterthought. The 2012 coupe has a nicer front look, if they can add some more upscale touches to the interior and refine the rough edges it could be a decent sport coupe, time will tell
Old 05-08-2012, 02:46 PM
yoshhhhh
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 95 es300 & thought about an is350. Went to the escondido lexus dealer to check out cars. Parked and walked around and no one came out to help so i said screw it and went up the street to Perry Infiniti and got an 2010 g37 sedan. Perry Infiniti was totally about customer service.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:19 PM
G37CPA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus IS350 - sort of boring
Acura TL - hate front wheel drive, so forget it.
BMW 335i - not worth that much extra moola, expensive repair costs
Audi A4 - not much to the car, especially for the money, expensive repair costs, not a fan of the four-popper motors
Audi A5 - way overpriced, expensive repair costs
Maxima - front wheel drive again, and not sure about the variable speed transmission
Honda Accord (loaded) - probably a good value for the money, but very boring and slow
Yugo (well, just kidding)

Last edited by G37CPA; 05-09-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G37CPA
Lexus IS350 - sort of boring
Acura TL - hate front wheel drive, so forget it.
BME 335i - not worth that much extra moola, expensive repair costs
Audi A4 - not much to the car, especially for the money, expensive repair costs, not a fan of the four-popper motors
Audi A5 - way overpriced, expensive repair costs
Maxima - front wheel drive again, and not sure about the variable speed transmission
Honda Accord (loaded) - probably a good value for the money, but very boring and slow
Yugo (well, just kidding)
Interesting that most of the offered considered cars are primarily, if not all, "foreign" cars (many are Made in the USA now).

No one considered some of the Muscle out there: Challenger SRT (Gotta Have a Hemi with his car) , Charger SRT[drive one - what a ride] , Mustang 5.0, Camaro, ( I think one member mentioned Camaro). Alternately, if you are looking at Bimmers and Audi - why not MB (C Class anyway); Volvo S60 6T? (not sure maybe only a 5T).....

God Bless America for all of the choices we have.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:08 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Drove a 2010 Coupe 3.8 & Sedan, the sedan was pretty nice if you want something along the lines of a Lexus ES or Toyota Avalon, nice looking exterior IMO. The sedan was a bit floaty on the road, not as connected as I thought it would be, pretty quiet cabin and well appointed. The coupe was very cheap looking inside, nothing like the classier sedan, acres of plastic everywhere. The drive was OK, suspension was a bit sloppy IMO and road noise was a bit excessive. Exterior screams "bioy racer" IMO and than back quarter window looks like an afterthought. The 2012 coupe has a nicer front look, if they can add some more upscale touches to the interior and refine the rough edges it could be a decent sport coupe, time will tell
I would need AWD, which eliminates the Genesis.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
Interesting that most of the offered considered cars are primarily, if not all, "foreign" cars (many are Made in the USA now).

No one considered some of the Muscle out there: Challenger SRT (Gotta Have a Hemi with his car) , Charger SRT[drive one - what a ride] , Mustang 5.0, Camaro, ( I think one member mentioned Camaro). Alternately, if you are looking at Bimmers and Audi - why not MB (C Class anyway); Volvo S60 6T? (not sure maybe only a 5T).....

God Bless America for all of the choices we have.
For me, the interior is what turned me away from all the american muscle cars. I wanted a sporty luxury car that was good looking on the inside and out. The new Charger took a big step in the right direction, but I didn't like how they are being used a lot as fleet cars and cop cars. The big V8's are fun though.

The visibility in the Camaro was ridiculous, felt like the windows were only 1 foot tall. Mustangs resale value is really poor and it has a live rear axle. Dodge I'm not confident in their reliability, will take some time of proven results to shake that notion.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny that people feel domestic aren't reliable and in fact they are.

This is my second G, and here is a list of cars I considered in my last 3 cars.

2007 BMW 335 Coupe 6MT - leased it. Loved it. Glad I don't own it. Fast, sexy and fun.
G Coupe
Jeep Wrangler - love them still want one..dealers could just never sell the car. Felt ghetto at all dealers.
Audi A4/S4/A5 - Audi used to be the cheapest premium line and now it's the most expensive.
Mustang GT - Despite all the comments, this car is still on my list. The engine is amazing and most people wouldn't know there was a live axle. Most reviews say it handles better than an M3 and yet all the "internet racers" can't seem to get past that. I love it.
VW GTi - 4door Still love everything about this car but when it came to purchase or lease...the deals were terrible. It was more to lease this car than my 42K G sedan.
Hyundai - genesis coupe and sedan when I was looking for my next car this dealer was a joke. wouldn't let me test drive the track version because they said it was special. So I ignored the brand

I got a G37 Vert before because it was a good deal and BMW couldn't even get me in a new 3-series without a ton down and more a month.

Quick Reply: What other car(s) were you considering before you bought the G Sedan?