G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What other car(s) were you considering before you bought the G Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 02:03 AM
Nnn7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-150 King Ranch
Toyota Tundra Crewmax
Nissan Titan

And then I choose the G37S... lol.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
2010 335i (M-sport sedan, loved it, few options though and pricing wasn't good even with redesigned 3's on the lot)
2011 335d (torque monster, high priced for a basic model)
2009 S5 (V8, great to look at, pricing was terrible)
2009 G37s coupe (G/F didn't feel safe/ trunk back seat too small).
2012 TL SHAWD, (didn't feel sporty)
2012 A4 (just wasn't quick enough)
2010 camaro (crossed off list as soon as I sat inside).

All of the above were used, tried out a brand new 2012 G37S sedan, got it for thousands less than the used bmw's & audi's with higher trade in for my truck. Piece of mind was big factor (reliability, warranty), first new car purchase and I was enticed by the idea of "taking care of it right from day 1". G was a combo of everything I wanted, power, sporty handling, luxury, technology, looks, reliability, value. It may not have been #1 in all of those categories vs the list above, but it got the most overall points.

Last edited by BLamb; 05-07-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BLamb
2010 335i (M-sport sedan, loved it, few options though and pricing wasn't good even with redesigned 3's on the lot)
2011 335d (torque monster, high priced for a basic model)
2009 S5 (V8, great to look at, pricing was terrible)
2012 TL SHAWD, (didn't feel sporty)
2012 A4 (just wasn't quick enough)
2010 camaro (crossed off list as soon as I sat inside).

All of the above were used, tried out a brand new 2012 G37S sedan, got it for thousands less than the used bmw's & audi's with higher trade in for my truck. Piece of mind was big factor (reliability, warranty), first new car purchase and I was enticed by the idea of "taking care of it right from day 1". G was a combo of everything I wanted, power, sporty handling, luxury, technology, looks, reliability, value. It may not have been #1 in all of those categories vs the list above, but it got the most overall points.
Good point and it bears repeating. Every vehicle is a set of compromises and a set of positive points.

No one vehicle:
- hauls passengers like a bus
- sips gas like a Prius
- accelerates like a Bugatti
- costs the same as a smart car
- the best reliability and dealer network
- tows like an F350
- etc.

Every car is somewhere in the middle of all of those factore. You pick the car with the most positives and least negatives. The G sedan is the value leader while clearly giving up nothing to the competition.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
The G sedan is the value leader while clearly giving up nothing to the competition.
It gives up cup holders. Seriously. This is the most lame design I've ever seen for cup holders. Fortunately for me, that was hardly a deal-breaker.

Sorry. /cupholderrant
Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
It gives up cup holders. Seriously. This is the most lame design I've ever seen for cup holders. Fortunately for me, that was hardly a deal-breaker.

Sorry. /cupholderrant
Gotcha. You know for some people cupholders could be a deal-breaker. They wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me or you....but some people have their priorities (up their..) erm in a different order than you or me.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Tsugumo

Acura TL SH-AWD-Manual
Liked: Interior, Technology, AWD
Disliked: Heavy, FWD Bias, Body styling

BMW 328i-Manual
Liked: Handling, Braking, smooth quiet I6 engine
Disliked: Cheap interior, Options way too expensive

BMW 335i-Manual
Liked: Power, Braking, Handling
Disliked:Cheap Interior, too expensive

Cadillac CTS-Manual
Liked: Interior/Comfort, American car
Disliked: Caddy angular styling, Value-Seemed overpriced campared to a G37

Last edited by Tsugumo; 05-08-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:02 PM
ericmadGRR

Originally Posted by Redpit
Just like everybody else, a BMW 335.

Let me also say to the 2 saying they were considering an M5. You would be insane to choose a G over an M5. I love me G, but the M5 is in a totally different league.
Just wasn't ready to spend that kind of money for it yet.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:36 PM
pahasinfiniti

Interesting thread because I'm in the market for a sports sedan... Sold my g37s couple not too long ago simply because it was too small... I've driven the following:

TL - used to own a 2004 TL 6MT, however like most comments here, don't like the FWD matched to a powerful engine.
335i - absolutely love the car, but steep price (even for a 2-3 year old), and reliability is still a big concern.
IS350 - overall liked it, people say MPG is great, however interior is a bit small. But Lexus/Toyota has been picked as one of the most reliable brands, so that's encouraging.
GS350 - well, you know, the new one just came out... Plus most still sell well over $30k, even $40k, so no thank you...
G37 sedan.... #1 choice, however interior quality is a bit of concern. And MPG isn't ideal.

overall, like someone said before, you can't have it all in one car... LOL...
Old 05-07-2012, 09:12 PM
root

IS350 AWD - Wife didn't like it, says she will never own a Lexus but doesn't give a reason.
Ford Taurus SHO - in the end neither of us liked it, too much money for what it is

We were looking for AWD sedans so our choices were limited. After a test drive of the G37x sedan we were finished looking. It's hard to please both of us but this did it.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:14 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by BLamb
Did she think she was going to ride in the back seat or the trunk??

Back on subject, was looking at the Z, but the G was higher class, and longer wheelbase gave it a better ride.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Sorry. /cupholderrant

You have never been in a Z then..................lol
Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I pretty much had my mind made up after I had one as a loaner when I was getting the rear bumper of my '04 Maxima painted. After 4 Maximas, it was time to move on to something other than FWD. I'm glad I did.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:03 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
All these cars cross shopped and no mention of the Hyundai Genesis. I know the coupe has more plastic than any interior should have, but it now has
348 hp and is more affordable for those on a budget. The sedan is a bit sedated for my taste but does seem to be edging closer to a true luxury sedan, and maybe the V8 RSpec might put some sport into the sedan as well.
Mustang 5.0s have also been ignored, but understandable since this is the sedan forum. Those that were cross shopping coupes & sedans should at least give it a look, that V8 is a beast.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Vehicon011

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Acura TL SH-AWD- Loved the interior/fit and finish. There wasn't that much of a difference in power but the car just felt heavy. It didn't feel as nimble as the G37. The handling was really good and I can see the TL being fun as a 6mt(Drove the auto). No dealer in my area would budge on the price of the 6mt though.

2011 Audi A4- Again really nice interior and styling. The difference in power wasn't really that apparent since it made torque at a much lower RPM. The major turn off was the pricing and my local Audi dealer was not very professional in the way they presented the car. I guess they just thought since I was in my late 20s that I was just there to mess around.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0- LOVED the power and sound of the engine. Super fun to drive and handled really well for a pony car. Didn't get it due to high prices of insurance and gas mileage. Also after I looked at the amount of aftermarket parts available for the GT..... well.... sharted and pissed myself and said no to bankrupsy.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Saad Ashraf

Just got my G37x in February. Searched and researched for a month before I purchased. Only requirement was no used. Coming from a 2005 Audi A4.

G37x - first car on the list. Test drove it and fell in love. Has great go and seats 4 or 5 comfortably. Also was AWD which is helpful in the midwest with snow and ice. Really enjoyed the finish of the interior and it was aesthetically pleasing.
Audi A4- Coming from a Audi, I had to go check out the new one. Designed beautifully exteriorly and interiorly but the lack of go really was a turn off, esp after driving the G. Another problem was cost of maintenance once warranty went out, the 05 A4 was a money pit once it hit 80000 miles, and wasn't sure about German reliability after my experience with the Audi.
BMW 335- quick but interior isnt upto par with some other cars and with that pricetag i expected more. And the issue with german reliability came up again
Lexus IS350- Im 6'4'' and I felt cramped. Was quick but I know too many women with IS's.
Acura TL- never really considered it, had a 2004 TL which gave me way too many problems for being Japanese. Note both the Acura and Audi I bought used so i learned my lesson there.
Never really considered the Mercedes C350, spec wise its no where near the G or 335 and costs as much if not more.

At the end of the day, it came down to what car I could get most for the least $ and that was the G. Picked up a new 2011 G37x for $33,000 in February and haven't looked back.

Quick Reply: What other car(s) were you considering before you bought the G Sedan?