G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What other car(s) were you considering before you bought the G Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 11:46 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by salmonslayer
No lie, I want a 11 or newer Audi S4 bad. Its just not in my budget at the moment because we have 2 kids in daycare and that bill is more than our mortgage payment, sucks but it is what it is. I'm just thinking 2 more years, 2 more years, 2 more years...No more daycare bill after. My car budget will open up. Too bad the Q50 is just ok to me. I think I will target S4 when the time comes. I had a A4 before and it was fantastic with the K04 turbo and APR tune.
similar situation to me. i too am looking at '13+ B8 S4's, with the 6-speed manual. there are a few around my area. more than G37 sedan manuals, that's for sure. my wife just bought a '15 Highlander cash, so that depleted my car fund somewhat. also, we have two kids in daycare, but our mortgage is certainly more than daycare (if anyone knows the housing situation in Vancouver, you'll understand).

just this week i was looking at the specs on '16 Q50's, however. i am encouraged with the 'Red Sport' RWD model with 400hp from a twin-turbo V6, 3.0L. i am keeping a close eye if the 6MT will re-emerge along with the new powertrains. there is also a 300hp 3L turbo V6 in the Sport model. from what i have read all engines are by Mercedes. interesting...i will give them a test drive at the very least.

until then, i'll keep rocking my G with no regrets. still a great car, except for right now when it is in the body shop to repair a side view mirror knocked off from a woman who thought her Civic was a bicycle - she was driving between traffic and parked cars in a bike lane and snapped off my mirror. at least she stopped and accepted fault, but let's just say the conversation was one-sided and 11 out of 10 on the volume dial. i have the joy of driving a Sentra w/CVT for a couple days. so painful.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:59 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by CMBurns
I don't like SUVs, and haven't really looked at any, but my wife is into the three-row me-too thing. I really want to get her a TSX wagon.
With a few exceptions, this appears to be the standard.

They are concerned with:

-Does it sit high enough so I can see around other cars
-Is it safe
-Is it reliable
-Does it have GPS and an Entertainment system for the kids
-Is it not a minivan or station wagon
-Can it use 87 octane

The minute I talk about over boosted steering, torque steer, 0-60, road noise, etc....I get blank stares.

SUVs like the MDX were made for guys like us that want to get some enjoyment out of the family car as well, especially since we are the ones driving it on weekends and holidays.

The Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander, those were created to address the list above.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:27 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
We are now the exceptions. However, our situation is also exceptional.

Originally Posted by socketz67
With a few exceptions, this appears to be the standard.

They are concerned with:

-Does it sit high enough so I can see around other cars She hates big vehicles and the vast majority of knuckle head drivers that own them. This includes soccer-mom SUVs, trucks, and minivans. The majority just don't pay attention. The desire for a taller vehicle really is more of a psychological thing for most owners. It's easier to be distracted and not focused on the road environment. It makes people lazy.

-Is it safe Yes, we both require this.

-Is it reliable Are any vehicles reliable anymore? It's all relative.

-Does it have GPS and an Entertainment system for the kids She doesn't think she needs this now, but I know she'll end up loving it. Add backup camera to this list.

-Is it not a minivan or station wagon This is the biggest exception. My wife loves the look, handling, and space of a good wagon. Her E91 was just totaled due to flooding. She loved that car and really liked the B5 Avant before it. Minivans are now on the list. At least for the first couple years. Pairing twins with the new regulations for infant seats makes it the best option. And we have been a we-would-never-ever-ever-buy-a-freakin-minivan couple. Until we were told it will be twins and did the research. We would be idiots to not buy a minivan. I can enumerate the reasons and I've already thought of all the counterpoints against it. Minivan still wins. She took longer to come around. If we weren't expecting multiples, though, the minivan wouldn't even be a consideration.

-Can it use 87 octane What is this? Meh. You have to spend your money somewhere. People will spend 30k or 40k on an SUV that depreciates half its value in 5-10 years, but are worried about a few extra cents/gallon at the pump every fillup? Strange.

The minute I talk about over boosted steering, torque steer, 0-60, road noise, etc....I get blank stares. I'm fortunate. My wife loves cars. She loves performance cars. I can lose her in a very technical conversation, but she can talk the talk with many internet auto enthusiasts.

SUVs like the MDX were made for guys like us that want to get some enjoyment out of the family car as well, especially since we are the ones driving it on weekends and holidays. I'll save my driving excitement for my commute and track days. Kid hauling will be conservative. I really need a vehicle that forces me to rein it in a bit. I'm sure I won't have any desire to rocket off the line in an Odyssey. ...
Old 11-25-2015, 01:07 PM
MR_L

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi S4
Lexus IS 350
Old 11-26-2015, 04:09 PM
CMBurns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I sent my wife a link to the e34 M5 wagon that's on bring a trailer and she said she would take it over an SUV. The kids would destroy it from the inside out.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:38 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by CMBurns
I sent my wife a link to the e34 M5 wagon that's on bring a trailer and she said she would take it over an SUV. The kids would destroy it from the inside out.
Agree 150%.

This is why I may just shoot for 170K miles on my existing Pilot.

My wife is pretty simple with her requirements, so I should take advantage of the fact she loves the Pilot and is not really asking for a new car.