Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Full synthetic to Partial Synthetic - is ok?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:55 PM
Blummy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full synthetic to Partial Synthetic - is ok?

I've got a 2010 G37x Sedan, and when I went to my dealer for my first Oil Change, he didn't have Partial Synthetic, only Full Synth, so after bantering back and forth with him on if it is safe to go from Full Synth back to Partial Synth (I bought an oil change plan fro the dealer that stated partial Synthetic) I had him do the oil change.

Any problem with doing that this once?

I bought the car as a demo with 6k on it. I had the oil changed at 7500 with the Full Synth.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:01 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
its fine, but why not just stick with a full sythetic?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:15 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
like Stevo said no problem...but why? full synthetic is much better than partial synthetic
Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
this car has a great motor, treat it like one!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Probably wouldn't cost much to just ammend the oil-change plan w/ full synthetic for the remaining life of the plan, that's what I'd do.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:47 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
There's absolutely no reason at all that you need to use full synthetic unless you are doing extended oil change intervals. Eneos 5W30 is not a "full syntetic" and I've been using it for over 40K miles doing extended OCI with great results. And I've posted the UOA that backs this up. Most people telling you to use full synthetic are also changing oil way more often than necessary (extended oil change intervals is the only reason to use synthetics) and throwing money away.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:04 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
There's absolutely no reason at all that you need to use full synthetic unless you are doing extended oil change intervals. Eneos 5W30 is not a "full syntetic" and I've been using it for over 40K miles doing extended OCI with great results. And I've posted the UOA that backs this up. Most people telling you to use full synthetic are also changing oil way more often than necessary (extended oil change intervals is the only reason to use synthetics) and throwing money away.
Good point BB. that being said you end up saving money by using full synthetic (or in BB's case high quality semi synthetic) and going extended OCI
Old 04-01-2011, 12:06 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Don't you guys remember my post a while back?! I'm offended.

According to the Infiniti, full synthetic oils can damage the engine (supposedly). Something about seals and some mumbo-jumbo. Partial-synthetic is what comes in the engine from the factory; it's recommended. Then again...I highly doubt any enthusiasts (ALL OF US!) abide by it. I sure don't...amsoil love
Old 04-01-2011, 12:28 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by eksigned
Don't you guys remember my post a while back?! I'm offended.

According to the Infiniti, full synthetic oils can damage the engine (supposedly). Something about seals and some mumbo-jumbo. Partial-synthetic is what comes in the engine from the factory; it's recommended. Then again...I highly doubt any enthusiasts (ALL OF US!) abide by it. I sure don't...amsoil love
Yeah I do remember it. Whatever Public Relations intern at Infinit said that is full of crap that's why no one brought it up lol

There is zero danger to the engine by using full synthetic oil, partial synthetic oil, or conventional.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Brooklynstar23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You see I also have been hearing so many things...its good, its bad, do this, dont do that, I'm not quite sure who to listen to anymore...Not just on this thread or forum but pretty much anywhere where cars are the topic lol...That being said... on another thread, someone mentioned it was good to change the oil after you put your first 100 miles on the car in order to flush the oil from the factory containiments and other particals ect...so when I do change the oil (Im at 95 miles atm), is it ok to put full synthetic from the get go or should I just get regular 5w-30 oil and be done with it?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
There is zero danger to the engine by using full synthetic oil, partial synthetic oil, or conventional.
Agreed! A long as you use a SAE 5W-30 / API Service "SM" oil as specifed in the G37 FSM you'll be fine.

Of course the FSM also says, "NISSAN recommends Genuine NISSAN Ester Engine Oil" but I'm not going to get into that debate!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:11 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooklynstar23
You see I also have been hearing so many things...its good, its bad, do this, dont do that, I'm not quite sure who to listen to anymore...Not just on this thread or forum but pretty much anywhere where cars are the topic lol...That being said... on another thread, someone mentioned it was good to change the oil after you put your first 100 miles on the car in order to flush the oil from the factory containiments and other particals ect...so when I do change the oil (Im at 95 miles atm), is it ok to put full synthetic from the get go or should I just get regular 5w-30 oil and be done with it?
Should do your first oil change after the first 100 miles? The G37 FSM says you don't have to (first oil change is at 3750 miles or 3 months), but its not going to hurt anything if you do. There are owners who do an oil change on a new car right off the lot because they are worried about its quality or how long the oil has been sitting in the pan since the car left the factory. I did my first oil change after the break-in period just over 1200 miles and it was probably unnecessary.

As far as at what mileage you should first switch over to a full-synthetic, most people are probably going to say to wait at least until the first scheduled oil change interval (3750 miles), but I’m sure you’ll get lots of different opinions on this.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^ didn't our cars come with break-in fluid? the point of it being to wash out and properly break in new, vital engine components? it's best to wait, assuming you go fully synthetic, especially on a new engine. you're throwing away good (expensive) oil when/if you swap out the break-in oil too quickly. helps flush all the metals from the break-in period.