G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident due to throttle surge while braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you hit the gas as you were braking. Winter shoes? I've done it before. The harder you press the brake...the more your pressing the gas. You're brain freezes as you try figure out what happened.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:34 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike S.
I think you hit the gas as you were braking. Winter shoes? I've done it before. The harder you press the brake...the more your pressing the gas. You're brain freezes as you try figure out what happened.
Yup this has happened to me a few times too. The edge of my foot brushed the gas pedal as I was braking. The RPMs surge and the car lurches forward. The harder you brake the higher the RPMs go since you're also pressing down on the accelerator too. What you described is exactly how I experienced it. I'm just mindful to make sure I press in the centre of the brake pedal and not at the edge.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just almost did it now on my way to work. I'm not even wearing big winter boots or anything, but I do have a size 13 shoe.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:16 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

I just almost did it now on my way to work. I'm not even wearing big winter boots or anything, but I do have a size 13 shoe.
Size 13 shoe crew represent.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
From personal experience, I can say that the G's brakes are more than powerful enough to keep the car from moving with the gas at WOT from a stop with the brake pressed as well.

However, I can't say that would apply if you were slowing down from a stop.

Your only saving grace, at the moment, would be the Altima driver confirming that you continued to push him after the impact.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:27 PM
KCM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KCM
Thanks, 328HP. This is a very interesting and helpful article.
The article basically said you cannot activate the accelerator when the brake is depressed with the G. Am I correct? Does anyone know what degree the brake has to be depressed? Has anyone tried and confirmed this? I will try this safely this weekend.
I attempted to accelerate while I brake this evening (don't worry, in a empty parking lot). The throttle functioned as usual when I tried to brake at the same time. The throttle was not cut. Do you need to "stab"the brake as the article says? Has anybody tried the same?

I only wear size 8 & 1/2. I have to try very hard to step on both the brake and gas pedals with one foot. I did it this evening just to see. There is no way for me to do this unless I am deliberate.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:16 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KCM
I only wear size 8 & 1/2. I have to try very hard to step on both the brake and gas pedals with one foot. I did it this evening just to see. There is no way for me to do this unless I am deliberate.
For me it's pretty easy. If I press the right side of the brake pedal with just the left side of my foot then the right side of my foot catches the gas pedal. When I press the brake pedal down the right side of my foot will also press the gas pedal. That's why I am conscious about pressing down on the centre of the brake pedal.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:03 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is the heal/toe. Rolling the side of your foot onto the gas pedal to blip the throttle while braking.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:52 PM
colburs

heel/toe is very easy in the 6MT. I'm not sure what it's like in the automatic though.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:22 AM
G35fromTO

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm surprised by all the suggestions that the OP was at fault here.

The damage that the OP has reported is very possible from the speed described, and cost wise too. Everything is WAY more expensive here in Canada. My car was involved in a very minor side collision. Bumper was replaced, fender replaced, wheel replaced, headlight replaced, paint, and alignment (NO other mechanical repair was necessary). Not a whole lot of damage other than cosmetically. The cost was $5k about 6 years ago. As an example, replacing the 1 wheel was $700-800.

KCM, keep us posted on how Infiniti treats this. I have to say, I definitely would have been letting insurance pay for this.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:08 AM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
After reading about recent Toyota recall, I think that stuff like this shouldn't be taken lightly. I am sure when ppl who complained about faulty gas pedal were told the same thing until more and more ppl started experiencing similar problem.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:00 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Yeah, it's a Japanese conspiracy.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:40 AM
ifinity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had a delay on the rpm's coming down (intermittently) several times until the dealer updated the ECM software. The G can overcome the braking with this deceleration delay if you are just trying to ease into a stop. I would think braking should electronically (software) prevent any acceleration (fuel should go to idle amount). Unless there is a racing technique that requires this?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:54 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G35fromTO
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm surprised by all the suggestions that the OP was at fault here.

The damage that the OP has reported is very possible from the speed described, and cost wise too. Everything is WAY more expensive here in Canada. My car was involved in a very minor side collision. Bumper was replaced, fender replaced, wheel replaced, headlight replaced, paint, and alignment (NO other mechanical repair was necessary). Not a whole lot of damage other than cosmetically. The cost was $5k about 6 years ago. As an example, replacing the 1 wheel was $700-800.

KCM, keep us posted on how Infiniti treats this. I have to say, I definitely would have been letting insurance pay for this.
No one is denying the extent of the damage. Many people are saying that he probably pressed the accelerator at the same time as the brake as others have done.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:04 PM
colburs

I would think braking should electronically (software) prevent any acceleration (fuel should go to idle amount). Unless there is a racing technique that requires this?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
The "racing technique" would be left foot braking.

The G37 (don't know if the G35 is similarly configured) will cut power when you press the brake and accelerator at the same time. It doesn't cut it much but you can defintely feel it if you lightly press the brake while accelerating. The 370Z does the same thing. Audi has a similar set-up with their 1.8T and 2.0T motors where it dumps boost when the accelerator and brake are pushed at the same time. On the Audi it's very invasive because dumping boost is a huge power loss.

Last edited by colburs; 01-29-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Accident due to throttle surge while braking