Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 PM
mayday813

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the lower 48 we call this "failure to stop in a safe and assured distance."
Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Is it possible that you accidentally pressed the accelerator with your foot while braking? I have really big feet and have done it for a moment at times. Has it ever surged while your wife was driving? Has it ever done this before or since? Could the dealership not get it to repeat the behavior even after you had it happen to you twice in one day?

I can tell you form prior work experience that it will be expensive to have a company download the data from the ECU to see exactly what happened. If you have still been driving it regularly since the incident a lot it may be unrecoverable.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:44 PM
KCM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually tried to step on the brake and accelerator at the same time. For me, I would have to move to brake so much before hitting the accelerator. I personally think it is not likely that happened. Besides, the second time it happened. I was stopped and the RPM went up suddenly. But my foot did not move. The first thing I thought was the winter mat, but the way the accelerator pedal was designed from the floor up, there was no space for a mat to get caught. Moreover, when I realized I was not stopping, I jumped on the brake, wouldn't that race the engine and the speed, instead of the steady speed that I experienced if I also put pressure on the gas? I seriously doubt if the surge can be reproduced, unless if you know the cause. During the four months of ownership, I was used to the down shift rev of the engine, but neither my wife or myself had experienced what happened during the accident. The down shift rev normally slows a car down, rather than moving the car forward at a steady pace.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 AM
SANTOS29

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW hopefully this doesn't affect other vehicles, cause it could get really dangerous and expensive. Op hopefully the dealer can find something from the data collected, maybe a faulty sensor.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:22 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KCM
The first thing I thought was the winter mat, but the way the accelerator pedal was designed from the floor up, there was no space for a mat to get caught.
It is actually easier to depress the accelerator pedal because it it easier for the floor mat to ride up onto the pedal since it is hinged at the bottom. Does the floor mat hook onto the stock pin location to keep it from sliding forward? Have ever experienced this problem BEFORE your winter mats were put in?

I'm not saying the car is not at fault ... I'm just bringing up another possibility that should be ruled out.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:14 PM
beerevmd

I had a very similar accident two months ago. I was coming to a stop to park along a street and hit a parked car in front of me. I was decelerating with my foot on the brake and at a speed of 7-10 mph. At this point, the engine revved, the rpms increased, and I hit a 1996 Jeep Wagoneer. I had to replace my bumper and grill. Minimal damage to the Jeep.
I did not hit the gas pedal. My foot was squarely on the brake as I was coming to a normal stop to park the car. Afterwords, I tried to recreate a situation of hitting both pedals at the same time. I had to have my foot sideeways to accomplish this, so I know that was not a factor.
The dealer was not too helpful with any input in the cause of the accident, but I had them reflash the ECU. No problems since then.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 PM
mw09g37

reflashed using what ? ITB_032?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:47 PM
328HP

To the OP

There is something very wrong with your car, see article below. The car should have the fuel supply cut-off to the engine once you hit the brakes. See this article

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...tion-tech_dept
Old 01-07-2010, 07:51 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
mw09g37 I was just telling the o/p to use his insurance.his agent is afraid of losing for the co.not against anyone in particular but he has no coice but to report this.imagine the altima plays it like a hit and run.he needs a lawyer because without the proper guidance,he's bascially screwd.he violated the law by not reporting to his carrier.(nygives you 72 hrs)I'm sure canada is not different.not to mention the leinholder either leased or financed you have to sign tons of documents,that if the car is damaged above 1k,it has to be reported.and thank god this is not my agent.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:04 PM
mw09g37

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
mw09g37 I was just telling the o/p to use his insurance.his agent is afraid of losing for the co.not against anyone in particular but he has no coice but to report this.imagine the altima plays it like a hit and run.he needs a lawyer because without the proper guidance,he's bascially screwd.he violated the law by not reporting to his carrier.(nygives you 72 hrs)I'm sure canada is not different.not to mention the leinholder either leased or financed you have to sign tons of documents,that if the car is damaged above 1k,it has to be reported.and thank god this is not my agent.
oh no i know, and I totally agree. I just didn't see your post before I responded.. didn't feel like deleting the shpleal. =)
Old 01-07-2010, 10:41 PM
KCM

Originally Posted by 328HP
To the OP

There is something very wrong with your car, see article below. The car should have the fuel supply cut-off to the engine once you hit the brakes. See this article

How To Deal With Unintended Acceleration - Tech Dept. - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
Thanks, 328HP. This is a very interesting and helpful article.
The article basically said you cannot activate the accelerator when the brake is depressed with the G. Am I correct? Does anyone know what degree the brake has to be depressed? Has anyone tried and confirmed this? I will try this safely this weekend.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 PM
mw09g37

yeah I've never seen it done actually, please do safely see what happens when you hit the two together.

tho drive by wire pretty much should make that not possible... hitting the gas and the brake together, the ECU cuts out the throttle.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:24 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
only at maybee 3k and up.our cars floored at 3k is only 20%.if anything it's the opposite,the 7 sp auto g37x09 I drove was dangerous in stop and go say 20 to 30 mph.it's the brakes.they don't grab.you need that active cruise control.as long as traffic is at 27nph or more.just gotta steer
Old 01-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Kwang

Originally Posted by djkmac
I have the AT 08 coupe, and when I switch to Fake manual and shift down to 1st gear i get a randome surge when coming to a stop. I always thought one day I might hit someone infront of me in traffic or at a light. I have never had to slam the brakes because of this but if you dont put enough preasure on the brake pedal, the surge will over power the brakes easliy. Additionally, the surge pushes the driver back, not by a whole lot, but In enough effect you cant put enough preasure on the brake with your foot. I believe the OP Story is very possible with this defect, its an unexpected thing because when you slow down, you dont expect your car to launch out of no were and are not prepared. I would talk to a lawyer.
I had the same exact experience once in my 09 sedan. I paddle shifted down to first gear while slightly braking and the car jerked maybe a good foot forward. I was thinking the same thing, "This can be troublesome if I was closer to the car in front of me..."
Old 01-08-2010, 09:10 AM
gooddeal

Originally Posted by Kwang
I had the same exact experience once in my 09 sedan. I paddle shifted down to first gear while slightly braking and the car jerked maybe a good foot forward. I was thinking the same thing, "This can be troublesome if I was closer to the car in front of me..."
Wow, you must be good. I think I usually leave at least 3-4 feet when I stop at the lights.

Quick Reply: Accident due to throttle surge while braking