G37 Sedan

Accident due to throttle surge while braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:03 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gooddeal
Haha, actually I hate and never trust a repaint car. So, I traded it in as soon as I got it out from the body shop. The Infiniti body shop was really impressed w/ the repairs and asked me which body shop did the repairs.

BTW, the reason I post about my accident is that it's not easy to cause 4.7K damages.
lol sounds like something I'd to too... accident = start thinking about a new car.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the RPM surge issue address by the TSB was for sudden engine BRAKING and rev matching when coming to a stop. If the engine is in fact revving to the point of accelerating again I would suspect there's a problem but this is the first I've heard of it (aside from the Lexus/Toyota issue which seems to be a much more complex problem where you can't even shift the car into N or P, or shut the engine). Computer S/W is only as good as the people writing it.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:07 PM
stardust
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it's hard to believe a slight RPM surge caused almost 5k damages. It sounds like a user error or this might be the same problem like Toyota.
100% agree......
Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 PM
KCM

To clarify what happened. There was not a sudden acceleration of the car. I WAS slowing down until the force of the engine overcome the brakes. So at about 10 feet away from the car in front, I realized the car was not slowing more to a stop. While I was putting as much pressure as possible on the brake paddle, the car continued to move forward at a STEADY speed at about 15km/h. At that same, if I knew what was going on, moving the shifter to "N" would have save my bacon.
I was talking to the Altima's driver this morning. I asked him if he noticed I continued to move forward under power after the collision. He said he found it odd that my car was still moving after impact.
Dealing with Infiniti Canada is another story to write. They warned me if I involve insurance, they would then only communicate with the insurance company. They would stop communicating with me unless necessary. Infiniti Canada had inspected the car. Neither the dealer or Infiniti Canada would give me a loaner car other than for the one day that the car was being inspected by Infiniti Canada. Infiniti Canada would not answer if reporting the accident is a requirement for a claim. I have consulted my lawyer, who in turns consulted a lawyer who deals more with traffic accidents. I was advised since it only involved property damages, there probably would not be any consequences for not reporting it even though by law accidents are to be reported if damages amount to over $1000 in Ontario.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 PM
KCM

One more thing to point out. The rise in RPM was not slight as described in the TSB. It went to about 2000 at the Costco parking lot. My wife heard the engine revving when she just stepped out of the car. I was too "busy" to look at the tach when the collision occurred
Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 PM
gooddeal

Originally Posted by KCM
To clarify what happened. There was not a sudden acceleration of the car. I WAS slowing down until the force of the engine overcome the brakes. So at about 10 feet away from the car in front, I realized the car was not slowing more to a stop. While I was putting as much pressure as possible on the brake paddle, the car continued to move forward at a STEADY speed at about 15km/h. At that same, if I knew what was going on, moving the shifter to "N" would have save my bacon.
I was talking to the Altima's driver this morning. I asked him if he noticed I continued to move forward under power after the collision. He said he found it odd that my car was still moving after impact.
Really, I don't know why it causes 5k damages at such low speed BTB touching, 15km/h = ~9 MPH. At this speed, I think the only part that needs to be replaced is the bumper. It's not like you hit a concrete wall.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 PM
nogoodname
Banned

About the TSB you mentioned

APPLIED VEHICLE: 2008 G37 (CV36) with Automatic Transmission ONLY
APPLIED DATE: Built before December 6, 2007
APPLIED VIN: Built before JNKCV64E(*)8M 115669
Old 01-06-2010, 08:51 PM
KCM

Really, I don't know why it causes 5k damages at such low speed BTB touching, 15km/h = ~9 MPH. At this speed, I think the only part that needs to be replaced is the bumper. It's not like you hit a concrete wall.
The problem is the car was pushing forward for a couple of feet after impact causing damage to the bumper, left fender, left head light (moved), and a scratch on the left rim. This just proved what I was saying.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:13 PM
gooddeal

Originally Posted by KCM
The problem is the car was pushing forward for a couple of feet after impact causing damage to the bumper, left fender, left head light (moved), and a scratch on the left rim. This just proved what I was saying.
Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but the Infiniti people might have a hard to believe (like me) that w/ such low speed bumping can cause this much damage as well. I don't question about the cost.

The polices always use their cars to push other cars and they don't cause any damages. I just think the impact speed should be way higher than the 9MPH (especially, in order to damage the fender).
Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 PM
KCM

For one, I by no means do I know exactly how fast I was going. I do know I was going so slowly that you would not even feel the jolt. The brief but constant forward motion of my car has caused a big dent on my bumper. Although the damage on the headlight and rim seemed superficial and minor, I was told the headlight needs to be replaced. I would keep the rim if Infniti does not pay. I will try to post the picture.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KCM
To clarify what happened. There was not a sudden acceleration of the car. I WAS slowing down until the force of the engine overcome the brakes. So at about 10 feet away from the car in front, I realized the car was not slowing more to a stop.
So your foot was off the accelerrator and on the brake, yet there was enough force from the engine to keep the car moving???? Were you skidding or something? If what you are saying is accurate, wouldn't you also question your brakes???? Maybe you hit a patch of black ice? Your explanation and description just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 PM
KCM

Here are the pictures. I hope it works. It may not be obvious the headlight is scratched and moved.
Attached Thumbnails Accident due to throttle surge while braking-g37-accident-001.jpg   Accident due to throttle surge while braking-g37-accident-002.jpg   Accident due to throttle surge while braking-g37-accident-003.jpg  
Old 01-06-2010, 10:11 PM
KCM

Originally Posted by Callaway
So your foot was off the accelerrator and on the brake, yet there was enough force from the engine to keep the car moving???? Were you skidding or something? If what you are saying is accurate, wouldn't you also question your brakes???? Maybe you hit a patch of black ice? Your explanation and description just doesn't make sense to me.
My foot was off the accelerator a long time before impact. I WAS BRAKING AND SLOWING until at some point some forward force was greater than my braking force. I continued to move forward at a steady pace even after the impact. There was no pulsating on the brake pedal or any other warning lights lit up. The road was bone dry. Besides, the tires are literally new and I was moving SO slowly. Under any other circumstances, the car would have stopped immediately. Anyway, I can only describe what happened.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:38 PM
gooddeal

Hmmm, so, it seems that you hit on your corner bumper rather than in the middle of the bumper.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by Callaway
That was the point of my earlier post. This would be a braking defect, if anything.

Quick Reply: Accident due to throttle surge while braking