G37 Sedan

G37 vs A4

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:01 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Even though we got a sedan, we think the coupe looks better. Just wasn't practical for us. But I didn't like the last gen sedans at all.

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 07-30-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:53 PM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to be in the minority here. I think the G37 Sedan is much better looking than the Audi.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:13 PM
KLB

On your choice, have you looked at Consumer reports?

Infinti G37 Sedan - Highest rated in Upscale Sedan Class with a 95
The G is quick, sporty, and pleasant. For 2009, all trims get the 3.7-liter V6 and seven-speed automatic that improves fuel economy. The car is blistering quick, yet returns 21 mpg overall. While the V6 is a bit loud at high revs, the car is now quieter at highway speeds. Handling remains agile and predictable, with a taut yet compliant ride. The interior has high-quality materials and easy-to-use controls. But the cabin is a bit snug and the trunk is small.

Audi A4 - Rates at 82
The new A4 presents a significant improvement over its predecessor. Handling is agile and very secure. The ride is firm, yet supple and controlled. The four-cylinder turbo is responsive. Expect 22 mpg overall with the popular optional AWD system. Braking is excellent. The quiet interior has exquisite fit and finish. On the debit side, the rear seat, while slightly roomier than before, is still tight. Too many of the controls are overly complex. Crash test results are impressive.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:47 PM
emtrey

Originally Posted by KLB
I seem to be in the minority here. I think the G37 Sedan is much better looking than the Audi.

I agree with you...minority, or not
Old 07-30-2009, 03:03 PM
G35Rhino

I read an article about one of the Indy car drivers testing out new models. He said the A4 was much improved over prior lives....but still VERY heavy feeling and that the rear pushed the nose through the curves and he was worried about wiping it out.

My ex-wife had an A4 and while it has changed quite a bit I would not call it a performance car. The value dropped like a rock and all kinds of electrical stuff went out at 40k miles (3k after the warranty expired). It cost me an arm and a leg to get it fixed. I'm glad to be rid of it......and the car too
Old 07-30-2009, 03:33 PM
AldinG37s

Originally Posted by KLB
On your choice, have you looked at Consumer reports?

Infinti G37 Sedan - Highest rated in Upscale Sedan Class with a 95
The G is quick, sporty, and pleasant. For 2009, all trims get the 3.7-liter V6 and seven-speed automatic that improves fuel economy. The car is blistering quick, yet returns 21 mpg overall. While the V6 is a bit loud at high revs, the car is now quieter at highway speeds. Handling remains agile and predictable, with a taut yet compliant ride. The interior has high-quality materials and easy-to-use controls. But the cabin is a bit snug and the trunk is small.

Audi A4 - Rates at 82
The new A4 presents a significant improvement over its predecessor. Handling is agile and very secure. The ride is firm, yet supple and controlled. The four-cylinder turbo is responsive. Expect 22 mpg overall with the popular optional AWD system. Braking is excellent. The quiet interior has exquisite fit and finish. On the debit side, the rear seat, while slightly roomier than before, is still tight. Too many of the controls are overly complex. Crash test results are impressive.

THATS EXACTLY WHERE I LOOKED! totally agree with you.

to SUM it all up.. just buy the G37 dude so we can end this thread lol
Old 07-30-2009, 04:55 PM
emtrey

I can end this thread discussion pretty easily. Not so sure on the cheap to keep part of the equation or bad weather capabilities BUT she sure looks pretty.

PS...doubt if it qualifies for cash for clunkers so don't ask.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251926
Old 07-30-2009, 05:29 PM
w0ady

i considered the a4/s4 as well but the cheap interior feel was 1 of the biggest downsides of the audi for me.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I didn't realize what a nooob I am until now. Personally, I can't imagine comparing an A4 to a G37. Could be my noobness? I'm thinking 0-60's !? Now, a 2010 S4... but, then we are talking ~$50,000 no? If $ aren't part of the equation, then let's forget Audi too and go for the $60,000. menu. ;-) What looks best, I can't comment. -My wife says I'm too shallow the way it is. And she's the one that says "Ooooh what a pretty red car!? Like she cares nothing for the car's personality or abilities! LOL!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Mike P

I drove it and felt it was too heavy and lumpy. Seemed like the car was in a bog. Just get the G. I have both the Coupe and the Sedan and think the Sedan is the best. Cheaper, better performance, and it has a trunk that does not need a diagram to show me how to fit two sacks of groceries in it let alone golf clubs.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:06 PM
the rever

Last December, I compared the G37 with the Acura TL, BMW 328 and Audi A4. Here’s a ramble about the four.

The Acura’s interior most closely competes with the Infiniti in that both fit me nearly like a glove. While the “Ahh” factor upon entering the Infiniti was highest, both cars were very comfortable concerning the seats and driving position. The Acura faltered in dashboard layout, however. It’s very busy with far too many buttons and doodads. There is more backseat legroom in the Acura, but the Infiniti backseats were just a bit more comfortable. In short, the Infiniti has the best cockpit. Sit in a front seat and you know why you’re there. “You’re safe, you’re comfortable, so let’s go!”

The view was good in all four cars. The Audi had perhaps the best overall view out, as I recall, but it felt a bit like sitting in a desk—uninspiring, as was the BMW. I liked the position of the Infiniti’s seat best relative to the view, partly because it simply feels invigorating. “No worries. Drive me!” it seems to say.

The Audi and BMW each had nicely laid-out interiors, but did not have the same luxurious and everything-is-at-your-finger-tips feel. The BMW had the least amount of appeal, and the backseat has the least legroom of all. It’s no fun back there. The Audi had as much rear seat legroom as the Acura, which is to say more than the Infiniti or BMW. If the two Germans had been produced after the two Japanese cars chronologically, I think automobile journalists would be saying, “The Audi and BMW (in particular) are rather sparse on the inside, as though conceived and executed by engineers and not craftsmen. Yes, there are seats and a steering wheel, but you don’t feel as though you’re supposed to be particularly comfortable or sort of at home while driving. The Germans could stand some class time inside the Infiniti.”

The driving experience with all four cars is great. No one loses. However, I found the Audi to be least inspiring, the punchy turbocharger notwithstanding. It simply felt, well, safe—and that’s how one should drive it, too. The four-cylinder engine sound does nothing to inspire either. Frankly, that was a big drawback for me. The BMW was nice and composed, handling the straights and turns equally well. The Acura was well controlled and pretty inspiring, second to the Infiniti. The G is simply the most invigorating of the four. It’s absolutely marvelous to drive. Everything about it says, “Sure, we can plod along through town easily enough, but what about that side street? How about taking the long and winding way today? You’re with me, so you know you want to.”

As for speed, I found the Acura and BMW to be very enjoyable and pretty fast. The Acura gearbox gets a notable downgrade for only five gears, but it uses them well. Both are relatively quiet and linear, which is to say “predictable.”

The Audi is, of course, jumpy, because of the turbocharger. That can be good and bad, depending upon what you want. A burst of speed? Got it. An easy and predictable meander about town? Not so much.

The Infiniti is a precision rocket. It can do a slow crawl in traffic and calmly navigate a delicate turn in complete control. But in a blink of an eye, it can be way down the road in a blast of speed. Which car sounds the best? That’s easy—the G. Hands down.

I suppose I could sum up by likening the four cars to characters in a classroom. Each can sit and behave with the rest of those in the classroom (the Camrys and Accords and Altimas, etc.), but you know who the leaders are. They stand out. The Germans frown upon the G and give each other knowing looks; they’re snobs. The Acura TL SH-AWD is torn. Along with the Lexus, it has worked hard to be like the Germans, so it wants to stay in their company. But it’s envious of the G. Of the four, only one is at times mischievous, only one is quick with a wink or a raised eyebrow. And that’s the one that takes you further than the others—that’s the one you want.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:42 AM
Nght&Day

G37SAM: good little match up you came up with

AldinG37s: in miami you see audi, G37, bmw, lexus, and every other car everytime you turn you head lol so that wont work out, i wish i was the only one in town with a car but that'll never happen in miami..

The rever: GREAT write-up thanks for taking the time to write that all up!

I wanna thank everyone for their opinions you guys rock! I am like 80%-90% for the G i just want to test drive the audi to get rid of any doubt.. also i didnt know audis werent a reliable car, i knew VW wasnt a reliable car but not audi.

As for performance on the audi a friend of mine has the model before the latest one.. and that thing whoops! Ive seen him beat or atleast keep up with high end cars (porsche) all you really need to do since it has a turbo is a ecu reflash which the audi dealer offers, a down pipe with a free flowing exhaust, and a intake. once you have those three and the turbo is running right.. you will fly!

Last edited by Nght&Day; 07-31-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:08 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
If you want a unique looking, fantastic handling car that is fast as **** that you NEVER see anywhere, get a Pontiac G8 GT, no kidding. That is one great car. Just be be prepared to replace lower control arms, strut tower bushings, interior pieces, sunroof gaskets, etc., every 10k miles.

Most people who cross-shop G37s and Audi A4s would never deign to think of that, but it's a real shame that that don't, imo. I think they'd really be surprised.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:33 AM
illusive45

Hmmm...tough choice. The new B8 Audi A4's are head and shoulders better than the previous gen A4's: 40F/60R bias Quattro, Audi drive select, sport vectoring rear diff, stiffer chassis, refined 2.0T motor...not to mention that Audi's interiors are arguably the best in the business. The G is better bang for your buck and has more interior room, so its a toss up.
Mind you, I own a B5 S4 and also have driven a handful of V35's and V36's...so it really comes down to your priorities. Need AWD? Comfort over performance? Price?
Good luck but you can't go wrong either way.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM
G35_TX
Premier Member

Exactly. Remember most of these guys are going to be biased towards the G for obvious reasons and if you go to a Audi forum, they will do the same towards their car. You just need to drive both cars and figure out which one you want. Drive the 2.0T and the V6 on the Audi side, but also keep in mind you can get a lot of power out of the 2.0. The 2.0T does not have issue with consuming oil, the older 1.8T did.

I use to own a Audi A4 1.8T and loved that car. I would own one again.

But for build quality, interior and looks, the Audi has Infiniti beat. Look at those pictures. The only issues you might have are Gremlins in the Electrical system every once in a while.

Originally Posted by G37Sam
It's a tough decision you're trying to make.. So let's do a quick comparison

Exterior Looks: I'm sorry guys, but this goes to the A4 (I'm not going to be bias lol)
Interior Styling: Can't beat the germans I'm sorry lol

Performance & Handling (stock vs. stock): G37 no doubt
Modability: 2.0T engine wins this one
Reliability: that's one thing A.U.D.I does not stand for lol, G37 wins it
Price: I wouldn't know about the US market

All thats left to do, is figure out your priorities and you'll have a winner.

Good luck

Quick Reply: G37 vs A4