7at transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 04:06 PM
PlimmelJig
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7at transmission question

2013 g37x coupe
Just the other day i noticed a significant drop in performance out of my transmission. It doesnt slow the car down when shifting down and doesnt have the neck breaking torque in 1st and 2nd anymore. I checked my transmission fill. Engine off i had some drainage. Engine running zero drain. The fluid that came out on 1st attempt was a blackish purple color. The engine coolant is blue. Atf is red. If its purple....does that mean my coolant is leaking into the transmission? And also my coolant is lower than the last time i filled it.
could my radiator core interior be cracked and leaking into the transmission from the oil cooler?
and if so would a new radiator be the problem solver?. my warranty is expired so im doing this all myself.
Old 10-11-2023, 10:40 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by PlimmelJig
2013 g37x coupe
Just the other day i noticed a significant drop in performance out of my transmission. It doesnt slow the car down when shifting down and doesnt have the neck breaking torque in 1st and 2nd anymore. I checked my transmission fill. Engine off i had some drainage. Engine running zero drain. The fluid that came out on 1st attempt was a blackish purple color. The engine coolant is blue. Atf is red. If its purple....does that mean my coolant is leaking into the transmission? And also my coolant is lower than the last time i filled it.
could my radiator core interior be cracked and leaking into the transmission from the oil cooler?
and if so would a new radiator be the problem solver?. my warranty is expired so im doing this all myself.
If that is the case then yes but only if you confirm coolant is making into the transmission.
The fluid level needs to be checked while running and has to be hot as well as a level pan surface.
Coolant could be going into other places.

My direction towards something like this would be to drain the fluid after the vehicle has ran and ATF warmed up.
Why?
Because it will attempt to mix these fluids and give you the best chances at letting it all drain out.
Save the old fluid in a clear jug and let it sit.
Replace the transmission fluid and make sure level's are correct.
Refill coolant reservoir and keep an eye on it.
Check old fluid in 2-3 days for water separation.
If you see actual coolant in the oil either replace the radiator or purchase an external transmission cooler.
If you opt to install an external transmission cooler then you'll need to cap the hoses of the built in transmission cooler/warmer being that coolant is seeping into this area as well and will continue to do so.

Another option would be to remove the ATF lines from the radiator, use a piece of pipe so you can join both hoses.
Run the car until you see coolant coming out the top or bottom hose meant for the transmission hoses to go into.
This is a faster diag method but a bit messier one.
Good luck
The following 2 users liked this post by BULL:
PlimmelJig (10-11-2023), socketz67 (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 11:10 AM
PlimmelJig
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
If that is the case then yes but only if you confirm coolant is making into the transmission.
The fluid level needs to be checked while running and has to be hot as well as a level pan surface.
Coolant could be going into other places.

My direction towards something like this would be to drain the fluid after the vehicle has ran and ATF warmed up.
Why?
Because it will attempt to mix these fluids and give you the best chances at letting it all drain out.
Save the old fluid in a clear jug and let it sit.
Replace the transmission fluid and make sure level's are correct.
Refill coolant reservoir and keep an eye on it.
Check old fluid in 2-3 days for water separation.
If you see actual coolant in the oil either replace the radiator or purchase an external transmission cooler.
If you opt to install an external transmission cooler then you'll need to cap the hoses of the built in transmission cooler/warmer being that coolant is seeping into this area as well and will continue to do so.

Another option would be to remove the ATF lines from the radiator, use a piece of pipe so you can join both hoses.
Run the car until you see coolant coming out the top or bottom hose meant for the transmission hoses to go into.
This is a faster diag method but a bit messier one.
Good luck
thank you so much for the info im gonna save this and print it out lol