Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sensor Problem/Fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 03:46 PM
paredes910

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sensor Problem/Fix

I just got a 2012 g37 coupe. The person that had it last straight pipe it all the way from the catalytic converters and my dash is throwing a code p2a00. The catalytic converters were deleted and before actually reading the code I bought the downstream o2 sensors. But the code is related to the upstream o2 sensor can someone help me tell which one I need to buy. I already bought the catalytic converters but no sensors so what would erase the “Service Engine Soon”?
Old 12-27-2018, 08:30 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Might not be the same issue but when I got that code it was an exhaust leak from the cats up where it connected to the headers. I noticed it sounded off...almost like at times I would hear it "put-put" when I hit the gas. I brought it to the dealer who said the sensor looked and tested fine but they agreed to replace it under warranty stating that if it happens again I'm on my own since I had aftermarket cats (Fast Intentions) and sure enough it returned ~100mi later. I then brought it to an exhaust shop and at first they said they found nothing. I told them I can definitely hear it and I know it's related to the upstream sensor so they checked again up by the headers and sure enough they heard the leak. They removed the cats, cleaned up the flanges along with the gaskets (I had the good ones from Z1 that were fairly new and still in good shape plus when I called Z1 to ask if this is a common issue and Spencer said they reuse them 6-7 times before replacing and has never seen one blow out), making sure the flanges were nice and straight, and resealed with RTV (Spencer's suggestions). They even let me go under the car with their homemade stethoscope and check myself and there was nothing. It's been months and no more CEL **knock on wood**. Go to an experienced exhaust shop and have them check for leaks or pick up something like this and look for yourself https://jmcautomotiveequipment.com/l...io-stethoscope
Old 12-27-2018, 08:34 AM
paredes910

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NealP
Might not be the same issue but when I got that code it was an exhaust leak from the cats up where it connected to the headers. I noticed it sounded off...almost like at times I would hear it "put-put" when I hit the gas. I brought it to the dealer who said the sensor looked and tested fine but they agreed to replace it under warranty stating that if it happens again I'm on my own since I had aftermarket cats (Fast Intentions) and sure enough it returned ~100mi later. I then brought it to an exhaust shop and at first they said they found nothing. I told them I can definitely hear it and I know it's related to the upstream sensor so they checked again up by the headers and sure enough they heard the leak. They removed the cats, cleaned up the flanges along with the gaskets (I had the good ones from Z1 that were fairly new and still in good shape plus when I called Z1 to ask if this is a common issue and Spencer said they reuse them 6-7 times before replacing and has never seen one blow out), making sure the flanges were nice and straight, and resealed with RTV (Spencer's suggestions). They even let me go under the car with their homemade stethoscope and check myself and there was nothing. It's been months and no more CEL **knock on wood**. Go to an experienced exhaust shop and have them check for leaks or pick up something like this and look for yourself https://jmcautomotiveequipment.com/l...io-stethoscope
from the previous owner the light went on after he took the cats off. I’m trying to put the cats back but I need to know what o2 sensor to buy and if the code doesn’t go away then I’ll take it to exhaust place but first I want to put the cats back with the o2 sensors and see if it goes away.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:56 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by paredes910

from the previous owner the light went on after he took the cats off. I’m trying to put the cats back but I need to know what o2 sensor to buy and if the code doesn’t go away then I’ll take it to exhaust place but first I want to put the cats back with the o2 sensors and see if it goes away.
rockauto.com will tell you what sensor you need
Old 12-31-2018, 04:15 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 837 Likes on 716 Posts
www.discountinfinitiparts.com