Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Best axle back exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 11:15 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I still dont understand, why someone would want, remove or buy exhaust without resonators...
Old 06-19-2019, 08:31 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Dzionassi
I still dont understand, why someone would want, remove or buy exhaust without resonators...
Produces a more raw/raspy sound vs. resonated. Some people like it while others don't; comes down to preference.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:24 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I personally agree, but it's a subjective thing, so there are no wrong answers.

IMO, the best sounding exhausts are the ones that rumble, not rattle, but are punctuated by crackles when you let off the throttle. That exact behavior is one of the reasons I'm in love with the F-Type. Jag nailed that sound better than anyone.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:30 PM
axis.
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Personally I like a loud exhaust but it still has to sound somewhat clean (clean to me is not raspy which is subjective, I know).

I ran the non-resonated axleback + test pipes and went back to HFC after a week because it was way too raspy/loud.

Motordyne CBE gets the highest praise and aside from the helmholtz resonator, it has no muffler. Does a helmholtz resonator even reduce noise or just change the exhaust note?
Old 06-19-2019, 05:39 PM
josephwhan
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
To each their own, man.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by axis.
Personally I like a loud exhaust but it still has to sound somewhat clean (clean to me is not raspy which is subjective, I know).

I ran the non-resonated axleback + test pipes and went back to HFC after a week because it was way too raspy/loud.

Motordyne CBE gets the highest praise and aside from the helmholtz resonator, it has no muffler. Does a helmholtz resonator even reduce noise or just change the exhaust note?
Yes it reduces by a lot. My exhaust is really quite if i will not go over 3k rpms and it changes exaust note too, I went little to big volume on my last Helmholtz revision, so I have lost all pops, and my downshifts are quite too, if they happen under 3k rpms...
Will reduce volume on my next revision.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:34 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Produces a more raw/raspy sound vs. resonated. Some people like it while others don't; comes down to preference.

It is possible to achieve really raw sound with resonators and bigger diameter piping, But rasp will be gone... It is impressive, how empty different size chambers (Helmholtz) in exhaust can change loudness, note and it can be done in different rpm ranges..
Old 06-19-2019, 10:51 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I personally agree, but it's a subjective thing, so there are no wrong answers.

IMO, the best sounding exhausts are the ones that rumble, not rattle, but are punctuated by crackles when you let off the throttle. That exact behavior is one of the reasons I'm in love with the F-Type. Jag nailed that sound better than anyone.
Agreed. I think there are still some room for improvement on this platform, especially on MT version, since drone can be more easily defeated compared to auto.
How cool wood be adjustable muffler, with valve opening for different sized chambers. Or removable Helmholtz like i did on my exhaust?
Old 06-20-2019, 08:05 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
It is possible to achieve really raw sound with resonators and bigger diameter piping, But rasp will be gone... It is impressive, how empty different size chambers (Helmholtz) in exhaust can change loudness, note and it can be done in different rpm ranges..
Some folks prefer or like rasp; it's preference. Might not be your preference but non-resonated products exist for a reason...

If it isn't your preference, and test pipes or HFCs are in your plans, a hemholtz design should be considered. I'm running the TopSpeed Pro1 right now and everything was great until test pipes went on. Car sounds good at WOT and once you're cruising but from a stop or accelerating at any point from 5-20 MPH is very tangy and buzzy. Debating to go with an additional resonator(s) to see if that helps or scrap it all together and go with a cat-back.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:09 PM
ro0kie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
meisterschaft cat back

I’ve been looking on which cat back and high flow cats setup I should go for my G37 6MT, was thinking going all the way Motordyne, but found a deal on a titanium meisterschaft cat back, but there’s a something I’m having doubts.
1st- it comes from a 370Z, altho they’re pretty much the same, will the 370Z exhaust fit without any modifications on a G37?
2nd- what gains i might get and if there’s something better in the market?

any advices and/or tips would be appreciated