Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Best axle back exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 05:23 AM
Gsuw37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best axle back exhaust?

Hello, I have searched through the threads of exhaust setups and what not but I still can't come to a decision I'm looking for an axleback exhaust that is aggressively loud but still keeps the same tone anyone that can help?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:45 AM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsuw37
Hello, I have searched through the threads of exhaust setups and what not but I still can't come to a decision I'm looking for an axleback exhaust that is aggressively loud but still keeps the same tone anyone that can help?
If you really want loudness on a budget, which I presume because you're asking about axle-backs over a full catback, then one of your best bets is a muffler delete. It's going to be louder than most if not all mufflers, and on our cars, it actually doesn't sound half bad. The major downside is that it's going to drone quite a bit.

That said, the most popular axle-back for our car is the Tanabe; nice deep, slightly louder sound. I installed mine not too long ago and love it. But going back to budget, it's a little bit on the expensive side relative to other axle-backs. There are many others you should check out like Megan, beluga, top-speed. None of them are the quality of Tanabe, but are about half the price, and don't sound half bad. But again, not super loud. Peep youtube for sound clips

So here's another option. Test pipes. Replace your stock cats. Everyone on here will tell you it's one of the best bang for your buck mods for performance. And test pipes are loud and cheap, compared to high flow cats.

So if I was you, taking a swing at your budget, I'd probably go with one of the cheaper aforementioned axle-backs and test pipes. I wouldn't do test pipes and a muffler delete because that will be stupid loud.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:06 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
If you consider going test pipes + axle back I'd highly recommend resonated test pipes, vs. regular straight pipes, the non resonated will add plenty of rasp which takes away from the great VQ sound. Also w/ test pipes you will have a strong raw fuel smell so if you spend a lot of time in stuck traffic or drive-thrus you won't make people happy.
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (11-29-2020)
Old 04-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Tachyon

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Manzo, topspeed etc you can find them on ebay. This isnt a new technology no need to spend 500 dollars for mufflers. They sound great and once or twice a season rub some polish on them and they'll look great too.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:17 PM
xxg00w0
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
If you consider going test pipes + axle back I'd highly recommend resonated test pipes, vs. regular straight pipes, the non resonated will add plenty of rasp which takes away from the great VQ sound. Also w/ test pipes you will have a strong raw fuel smell so if you spend a lot of time in stuck traffic or drive-thrus you won't make people happy.
give us a few good name on resonated test pipes. I don't want smelly interior. ART pipe is expensive but are they worth the $? or Berk HFC?
Old 04-24-2017, 01:26 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by xxg00w0
give us a few good name on resonated test pipes. I don't want smelly interior. ART pipe is expensive but are they worth the $? or Berk HFC?
Fast Intention RTPs are probably the best as far as quality and not throwing CEL codes. I bought OBX RTPs, and these have been great, they were probably a little to close to the Fast Intention design, so they may have run into patent issues since they are no longer available

These both use the reverse flow o2 port which won't throw CELs, mine have been code free for 15k miles now.

Only con to the Fast Intentions is the build time, typically about 3 months IIRC.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:26 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by xxg00w0
ART pipes are amazing so I've read. Wildly popular on 370z's I believe. They're overall going to give you the nicest sound. Not the loudest. The special type of resonators they feature, I forget the name, but the ones also seen on the HKS exhaust, can be tuned, unlike traditional resonators, and they were done so excellently.

Trending Topics

Old 04-24-2017, 02:05 PM
zonnie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Currently my set up is Tanabe's Axleback paired with vibrant resonators for additonal airflow.

If i could do it all over again, I would of left everything stock and went with a high end RESONATED test pipes for a more throaty growly exhaust note.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:45 AM
Gsuw37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HotSawce
If you really want loudness on a budget, which I presume because you're asking about axle-backs over a full catback, then one of your best bets is a muffler delete. It's going to be louder than most if not all mufflers, and on our cars, it actually doesn't sound half bad. The major downside is that it's going to drone quite a bit.

That said, the most popular axle-back for our car is the Tanabe; nice deep, slightly louder sound. I installed mine not too long ago and love it. But going back to budget, it's a little bit on the expensive side relative to other axle-backs. There are many others you should check out like Megan, beluga, top-speed. None of them are the quality of Tanabe, but are about half the price, and don't sound half bad. But again, not super loud. Peep youtube for sound clips

So here's another option. Test pipes. Replace your stock cats. Everyone on here will tell you it's one of the best bang for your buck mods for performance. And test pipes are loud and cheap, compared to high flow cats.

So if I was you, taking a swing at your budget, I'd probably go with one of the cheaper aforementioned axle-backs and test pipes. I wouldn't do test pipes and a muffler delete because that will be stupid loud.

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much and its tough to do research over videos because they don't do true justice but I've thought about muffler delete and it being just as expensive (maybe a tad bit cheaper than axle back) I don't want it to sound loud and horrible and I've seen a lot of the top speed but I've also heard bad things about their axle back exhaust as well.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:34 AM
jcbone
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I bought my G37s coupe 6MT in November of last year and installed the Topspeed axle back in December for around $280 shipped directly from their company by phone. I wanted to make sure I got the right one, they have straight pipes and resonated ones for their axle backs. I went with the resonated ones and I'm glad I did. Best $280 so far I've spent on modding the G. Great sound, still has the VQ note and a little bit louder without much drone. Not the loudest sounding exhaust but for that price it was well worth it.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:41 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
The absolute best axle back system I've heard on this site, IMO, belongs to a member with Tanabe's paired with 2.25 piping and Vibrant? resonators. It just doesn't get much better when you have what sounds like the crossbred exhaust note of an M3 and VQ
lostOne (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 03:45 PM
taste1h

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm a little biased but I started my modding with a Tanabe axle-back. I've had it for 4-5 years, and loved it from day one. I've since added a full Tanabe exhaust (mid and Ypipe) and FI's Resonated High flow cats and it sounds amazing. This setup accentuates the stock VQ sound with more bass, and resonated HFCs add a nice tone without rasp. Highly recommend!

Tanabe axle-back is definitely a great buy and the quality lives up to the test of time.
abrecos (09-04-2019)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:05 PM
SlateBlue G

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
ark or meisterschaft hands down
Old 04-26-2017, 04:20 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
I loved my Tanabe Medalion

Name:  c312de63-1cdf-46b4-a039-49dc077e1f2f.jpg