Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Considering buying a 2008/09 G37 coupe, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 04:09 PM
cats37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering buying a 2008/09 G37 coupe, have a few questions

Hi everyone, I just registered for the forum. I have a few questions regarding this car:

How are the maintenance costs? I have looked around this forum and others but am getting some conflicting opinions with these. I know it will probably be more than my current car (mazda) but is it on a MB/BMW level?

Is there any major service necessary or component that needs to be attended to somewhere down the line? (Such as Mercedes' ABC system)

I don't have a garage but I have a parking lot off-street, would it be pretty safe to park there? I am in West Hartford, which I think is a pretty safe area

Should I look for an extended warranty or CPO, or is the reliability good enough that I shouldn't have to worry?

anything to watch out for when buying? I am hoping to find a decent sport or x model (really like the sport, but may have to get the x because of
my location) and spend no more than $25k

oh and one more question, should I stay away from the '08 because of "first year issues"? I know the 7 speed transmissions started in '09

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:33 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
I've read quite a bit of information on this forum. Most of the problems people have are mostly minor such as rattles/squeaks. Maintenance wise the cost is definitely not in the BMW/Mercedes level.

We do not live in your area..so we would have no clue. If your car is not getting vandalized now than you'd probably be ok. Get a garage if you're really concerned if that's available.

If you're not really mechanically inclined and feel the need to have warranty than by all means look for a CPO one. Other than that list out all the things you want with the vehicle, than find one. If you want a 6MT the X model does not come with it.

Even though 2008 is the first year model, I bought one recently and I have no problems with it. Some people prefer the 5spd auto transmission over the 7spd auto actually.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:37 PM
LarryG

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Consider a used 2008-2009 S5 .. They are only 34k now 50k miles! i know its 10k more than what you wanna spend but ... Good deal! haha
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM
cats37

my uncle has an S5, amazing car... maybe something like that in a few years:P
Old 03-04-2013, 01:43 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Haven't personally done any major maintenance other than several o/c's, sway bar & an exhaust install. I do think the infiniti is much cheaper to maintain than some of the other luxury brands. Brakes are pretty standard, though the S models (4 pot/2 pot calipers) are a bit more complicated. Rear end has a fill/drain plug, as does the transfer case/front diff. 6Mt's are similar. 7AT's do have a special procedure for getting correct level, so that's prob some left to someone with the correct equipment. Coolant drain/refill is also relatively simple. Change your brake&clutch fluid every 2-3 years regardless of miles. Coolant probably every 30K/4-5 yrs.

The above are just my own recommendations. Owner's manual probably specifies longer intervals. If you're buying used with 30K or more, I'd do all of the above just to be on the safe side.

2010 and newer is when they got went to the white display on the dash. Also the video display is supposed to be of higher quality. Older models have a video input, newer ones have usb. If you got the $$, get the newest car you can afford. Should be quite a few '10's coming off lease now too.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 AM
Basicklee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only thing i would look out for is to double check to see if infiniti changed all the fluids on the car and breaks on the G if bought used (they should have already) I didnt buy my G from infiniti and i was left to deal with flushing all my fluids and replacing rear brake pads and resurfacing rotors which costed me $570 at infiniti. Besides that, the only "downside" is Gas. It does does drink gas...but your buying a sports/luxury v6 coupe with 330hp so what do you expect..?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 AM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
If maintenance costs are a concern, there are really two things you can do. If you are a big DIYer- you can save substantial amounts by just self-resolving concerns.

Another option- just take your car to the Nissan dealer. They will be able to work on it there, and you'll save considerable money compared to the Infiniti dealer. Not as cheap as doing it yourself, and you might miss out on the premium service feel of the Infiniti dealer, but it is a viable option.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:56 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
So he is asking about maintenance cost and a S5 is suggested? The G is a reliable and trouble free car (other than some of the minor things folks have pointed out). I for one absolutly love our '08 coupe (we bought used in '09 with 16k miles) and the infiniti brand that I bought a '12 M37x last year as well.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Mayu

Incredibly reliable car. I have the 08 sport coupe and have owned since new. There is nothing to be scared of with the 08. There were superficial issues such as a creak in the a-pillar that was fixed under warranty.

Mechanically speaking every component is tried and true. Cost of maintenance is relatively inexpensive for fluids. Cost of parts are reasonable and not in the BMW, Merc, Audi range. If costs are a concern stay away from the S4.

Also, as pointed out earlier in the thread I prefer my 5AT to the 7AT. I drove a 7AT loaner and seemed to want to hunt for gears more than I prefer.

FYI, I also own an IS 250 and think the G is a superior ride and classier interior.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 AM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a 2008 G37S coupe in December. They have some pretty fragile parts inside the car. The switch frame on the steering wheel and the aluminum covers on the inside door pulls. I also have scratches on the long aluminum trim on the driver's door (inside). My grille had chrome peeling, so I replaced that. If you look it over carefully you should be OK.

There is a reflash for throttle lag, have the car checked that this has been done. Any Infiniti service department should be able to tell you over the phone if it has been done. Even an '08 should have a few months left of powertrain warranty.

My Infiniti had a low tire pressure light on when I bought it. The dealer (Ford dealer) said they'd pay to get it fixed and it turned out to be two "dead" TPMS sensors in the two front tires. I had it fixed at Nissan and the total bill was just over $500. Keep this in mind. If your car develops a bad sensor after you buy it you can buy them aftermarket and have them installed at a tire store. The instructions for programming are on this site. Be aware, they last about 5 years.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:20 PM
stealthcivic

Originally Posted by jaykellogg
I bought a 2008 G37S coupe in December. They have some pretty fragile parts inside the car. The switch frame on the steering wheel and the aluminum covers on the inside door pulls. I also have scratches on the long aluminum trim on the driver's door (inside). My grille had chrome peeling, so I replaced that. If you look it over carefully you should be OK.

There is a reflash for throttle lag, have the car checked that this has been done. Any Infiniti service department should be able to tell you over the phone if it has been done. Even an '08 should have a few months left of powertrain warranty.

My Infiniti had a low tire pressure light on when I bought it. The dealer (Ford dealer) said they'd pay to get it fixed and it turned out to be two "dead" TPMS sensors in the two front tires. I had it fixed at Nissan and the total bill was just over $500. Keep this in mind. If your car develops a bad sensor after you buy it you can buy them aftermarket and have them installed at a tire store. The instructions for programming are on this site. Be aware, they last about 5 years.
I am also considering buying a 08 g37 Sport Coupe. I would be glad if the TPMS sensors were gone or dead when I get it because I don't need them or like them anyway! I will be bringing my G37 to the nissan dealer as I don't give a damn about high and mighty premium service at Infinity. I am no better than anybody else. OP, I hope you get a good deal on the 08, If I do it, I will get a good deal from a private party on a 08 Sport. I don't think there are many problems with the 08 like others are saying, even though it is the model first year. Check consumer reports on repairs for 2008 G37s.