G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2008 G37 and iPhone 5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:05 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I agree about the Scosche, I have it and it doesn't connect/lock very well at all. Are you pleased with the Brandmotion brand?
Old 09-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Alex Londerée

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ThinkGeek Bluewave Bluetooth Audio Receiver <- does anyone know if this will work?
Old 09-24-2012, 12:13 PM
budiu22

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex Londerée
ThinkGeek Bluewave Bluetooth Audio Receiver <- does anyone know if this will work?
from previous experiences, bluetooth for audio is gonna literally EAAAAATTTTTT your battery like hungry somalians in a all you can eat buffet.. not a good idea.
now you can have your phone plugged charging at all times if your in the car but MEH...

personally i have a 2012 g37x s coupe and i dont like having my phone plugged to the car so i simply bough a Ipod with 160gb memory for mad cheap... has the old connection so ill NEVER have to worry about anything.

plus... my iphone 5 only 16gb and thats like not even 100 if my podcasts in memory.. so in the end better off using the ipod anyway... =]
Old 09-24-2012, 12:21 PM
2008G-Man

BT is not really the best solution. I tried a BT adapter for my home stereo and the sound quality wasn't very good and the signal is so unreliable and subject to interference. I think a hardwired solution is much better if possible.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:45 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
I agree about the Scosche, I have it and it doesn't connect/lock very well at all. Are you pleased with the Brandmotion brand?
Very pleased with the brandmotion connector but I'm not even sure if they make them anymore. I bought mine from a member on here that was extremely pleased with it.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:47 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
It should work with the new connector. BMW owners are out of luck since they supported "iPod Out" feature from iOS4. AFAIK, Infiniti doesn't use the iPod Out feature, which replicates the iPod interface in cars.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:57 PM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by TwoThree
Very pleased with the brandmotion connector but I'm not even sure if they make them anymore. I bought mine from a member on here that was extremely pleased with it.
I think they do, is this it?
iPod Charge Converter 5000-5VC2
Old 09-25-2012, 06:47 PM
tomro99

do you have a picture of this by any chance?

Originally Posted by TwoThree
I use an adapter like the scosche, but the scosche sucks! Loses connection all the time.

OEM Nissan Connector > Brandmotion Charging Adapter > Apple 30pin-Lightning adapter > iPhone 5

Also I run the oem connector out the back of the center console. When I had the 2 connectors in there it took up the entire console and I had zero storage of the very limited room the G came with. I run the wire through the back and then in between the console and the passenger seat. Can't see it and it works perfectly.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:48 PM
tomro99

i just got my iphone 5 today and im in the same boat as well. eventually i want to get everything together and working so i can use a proclip for my 2008 G.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:32 AM
G37fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm almost positive the adapter will work in this scenario, its just going to pass through like normal, the only thing i don't think it will work for is some docking stations for "power" reasons. I believe Oct 5th is when Apple will start selling the adapter so we will find out the moment of truth then!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:13 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
I got really tired of disconnecting/reconnecting my phone to use as an ipod. I just went on craigslist and bought a older ipod nano for like 50 bucks. I now just keep that in the arm rest. I also had to buy the scosche adapter..i've never had it fall off on me in the arm rest.

But does anyone notice some sort of radio whine noise when playing with the ipod? Not sure if the scosche adapter is causing it or not.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
When someone - anyone - has CONFIRMED that the phone will work properly in an 08-09 using the 30 pin to 8 pin adapter, please post that. Also when someone has CONFIRMED that any of the charging adapters will work inline with the cable, charge adapter, 30 to 8 pin adapter, phone, please post that as well. Please comment on all functionality that you have tested (music, video, use of steering wheel controls, hands free via bluetooth, etc.

It'll be nice to have someone who has actually tested it out and can post that they know for a fact what works or doesn't work rather than everyone guessing what might or should work.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Josh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i prefer having my iphone docked in my G... got a proclip thingy for my 4S. it works great, especially when using the Waze app (non-nav G). And im actually really glad i didnt get the nav package cuz the Waze app is AWESOME!! especially for seeing police/traps on my map.

ive tried the BT route with my 08 and i didnt like it because of having to interact with the phone rather than the steering wheel controls. i have an old 160GB classic ipod but it doesnt have internet connectivity, sometimes i like to use pandora/sound cloud/grooveshark.

definitely curious if the i5 will connect with the adapter as well. got my i5 ordered. hopefully proclip with come out with a dock that has the 30-pin to 8-pin. without having to actually buy a adapter from apple.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 PM
tomro99

i spoke to a rep at proclip and they mentioned it typically takes 3-4 weeks for them to make and finalize a clip for a newly designed phone.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Vexamus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From my understanding, which is relatively extensive, they've removed the entire iPodOut profile, not just the hidden iOS 4 video interface. Meaning the serialized connection that sends both the artist/album/song lists to the headunit but also the ability to react to and interpret the serial commands given by the head unit for the purposes of Fwd/Rev/Pause as well as the "now playing" information. The iPodOut profile was brought forward from the firewire days of the iPod. Now, this isn't to say that it couldn't be readded. The lightning port has SoC-controlled taskable pins, so it can literally become anything it wants to save for a 12v supplying firewire port. Nor can it charge on 12volts.

You guys might have noticed that with the iPhone 4, they removed the 12v pin from the old firewire legacy system. They had to force 5v USB only charging because the voltage regulator and heat sink wouldn't fit inside the iPhone 4's design.

iPods up until the iPhone 4 and the 4th gen iPod Touch were able to charge on 12v because originally, the iPod was a firewire (12v) not USB (5v).

So there are several 12v pin lifters with voltage regulators that will take the 12v pin off the car's input, calm it down to 5v and supply it on the 5v usb pin.. These can be hit or miss especially if the regulator fails and dumps 12v to that pin, your iPhone's charging circuit goes poof (as was noted above, I believe).

Bring forward the lightning port.

Without the iPodOut serial profile, the headunit in the infiniti won't enable the analog audio connections on that interface making it worthless.

I went head and bought a bluetooth dock adapter and it generally sounds very good, however it doesn't work in my car because the car is expecting the serial connection which never comes and it doesn't enable the audio port. Again... back to square one.

My guess is that if you use the dock adapter with the older infiniti (that has the iPod cable and CF card reader) you'll run into this. You'll get the Music app going into accessory attached mode but the head unit won't do **** and you'll hear zero tunes.

What I have done is hacked up my iPod cable to discover what the car's been expecting. If it's some kind of analog trigger that turns on the audio ports, then I can just do that and use my bluetooth dongle, still charging my iPhone 5 with the normal cable and cigarette lighter port in the center console. Still clean, one plug and should generally be good enough.

The alternative would be to use the lightning converter with a cable, then use the Apple compositive video cable (even though the converter doesn't support video) and use the L/R audio from that cable, plug in the USB into a charger and use the AUX ports in the center console instead of the iPod port all together.

One thing I can tell you at this moment is there is no foreseeable way to control the iPod or have the interactive functionality that you had previously with our older cars (I have a 2008, I'm under the impression that the all-digital USB mode works in the 2012 Nissans)

Lastly, I am actually working on a device to serve as a complete dock replacement. Something that can interact with the phone wirelessly but interact with the dock as if it were a full fledged iPod. Menus, playlists, artists, now playing and video included.

More news at 11.

Quick Reply: 2008 G37 and iPhone 5?