Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Front License Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 04:08 PM
reVx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas DPS defines it as such:

State law requires that you display two (2) license plates, one to the front and one to the rear. Placement or mounting of license plates is not defined.

This makes me wonder if having it on your in your front windshield would suffice since it is not explicitly defined to be mounted on your front bumper.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:21 PM
2008G37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Screw the front plate law. None of our vehicles have front plates. Been pulled over and warned a few times but F''' em, I aint putting them on. Stupid law to begin with just like some states no side tint laws as well while other states dont care.

Cities are so broke cops will write you up for picking your nose and being distracted. I was being pulled over so many times one month I checked to see if I had a donut tied to the back of my car and it was leaving a scent trail for cops.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Snypos

I live in California and the same law applies here. I went to the dealership and bought a mount and had them install it for a total cost of $101. Here is a pic, it looks clean and good imo.
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate?-the-first-wash-3.jpg  
Old 07-28-2011, 10:29 AM
adroitcaptor
Registered Member

I think the most important point has been missed. It does not matter what is or is not legal, only what the judge will and will not impose upon you. You are not being charged with a crime and that is their excuse for destroying our country's constitution. When it comes down to it, you have no rights in municipal court.

You get a bad cop and you will receive 3 infractions at once totaling over 1k; yes, it happened to me. You get a good cop and you get off with a non-written warning for 125 in a 55; yes, that also happened to me... 10 years ago.

If you do not want to be hassled, put the plate on as others have stated.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 PM
2008G37s

Originally Posted by Snypos
I live in California and the same law applies here. I went to the dealership and bought a mount and had them install it for a total cost of $101. Here is a pic, it looks clean and good imo.
I live in Ca as well, I'm sorry but a front plate on these cars looks like crap...in most peoples opinion. But fines are steep here for no front plate (now $171 and not just a fix it ticket any longer with a low $10 fine), so for many people now have to run them or start stacking up huge fines plus as mentioned above once pulled over its look the car over time for the cop.

Meter maids in Ca now give tickets for no front plate while you are parked. Now that just sucks.

Last edited by 2008G37s; 07-28-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
There is no question that our G’s, as well as many other cars, look better without a front plate. But although it may not make you feel any better, there is a reason why 31 states have this requirement.

When looking for cars that could have been involved in a crime, it allows law enforcement to observe plates on oncoming traffic or parked vehicles on both sides of a highway or street thereby almost doubling the amount of plates that can be read in many instances. The effectiveness of this tool is debatable, of course, but be assured there is a reason beyond just pestering the driving public.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:51 PM
2008G37s

Originally Posted by Chekov
There is no question that our G’s, as well as many other cars, look better without a front plate. But although it may not make you feel any better, there is a reason why 31 states have this requirement.

When looking for cars that could have been involved in a crime, it allows law enforcement to observe plates on oncoming traffic or parked vehicles on both sides of a highway or street thereby almost doubling the amount of plates that can be read in many instances. The effectiveness of this tool is debatable, of course, but be assured there is a reason beyond just pestering the driving public.
If it were that important all 50 states would require them. I asked several LEO buddies about front plates and they all commented they very rarely if at all look at front plates when on patrol and if they cruise parking lots reading plates its always the back plates they see 99% of the time.
Just like side tint, many states allow it even though cops hate it for their own safety reasons when pulling a vehicle over. If their safety was top concern all 50 states would have laws against it.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by 2008G37s
If it were that important all 50 states would require them. I asked several LEO buddies about front plates and they all commented they very rarely if at all look at front plates when on patrol and if they cruise parking lots reading plates its always the back plates they see 99% of the time.
Just like side tint, many states allow it even though cops hate it for their own safety reasons when pulling a vehicle over. If their safety was top concern all 50 states would have laws against it.
On the other hand if front plates were as unimportant as you suggest, than all 50 states would NOT have them. They would save the expense of making the additional plate, manufacturers would save the cost of making front brackets for them, and cops/courts could concentrate on more serious matters.

As far as side tint is concerned, all states DO have laws affirming what tint percentage is permitted in their state. The fact that it varies just shows we’re still a republic as per the Constitution, but let’s not get into that.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:18 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's great, Chekov. But most people here aren't bank robbers. It's other people's money for the tickets, no idea why you're so persistent in making no front plates the thing of the devil or something.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:51 PM
voltic

On the other hand if front plates were as unimportant as you suggest, than all 50 states would NOT have them. They would save the expense of making the additional plate, manufacturers would save the cost of making front brackets for them, and cops/courts could concentrate on more serious matters.
I'd like to point out that the prison industries fee in your registration is the cost to manufacture license plates. You paid for your own plate manufacture.

Cops generally do concentrate on more serious matters. How many people really get pulled over for front license plate alone? No, they almost certainly pulled you over for another reason.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Well, if I paid for my own plate, then I certainly favor eliminating the front plate, so I can pay less next time. Of course, in California that’s not likely to happen even if they eventually delete the front plate requirement.

For those haters who think I’m so persistent, I have a confession to make. My wife’s IS250 that I drive from time to time was hit in the front bumper while at work (see pix). The front plate fell off and cannot be reattached until we get a new bumper and settle with the other party’s insurance, so we’ve been driving with no front plate for a month now! We keep the plate on the passenger front floor in case one of us gets pulled over. So far it hasn’t happened, and I’m not sure what a cop would do. At any rate, put me on your side, at least for a while.

Name:  019.jpg
Views: 1645
Size:  66.1 KB
Old 07-28-2011, 08:06 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
FWIW, Driving 40+ years in California with no front plate and never got a ticket for it. Tickets for speed yes, but they never cared about the plate. Attitude matters.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by hobbs
FWIW, Driving 40+ years in California with no front plate and never got a ticket for it. Tickets for speed yes, but they never cared about the plate. Attitude matters.
There’s still no guarantee that you won’t be caught tomorrow. Take the case of famous artist Thomas Kinkaid, for example. In California, no less, he was pulled over for no front plate and ended up in jail:

ARTIST THOMAS KINCAID ARRESTED - Hollywood Celebrity and Entertainment Daily News

I know, I know, you would never drink and drive with your front-plateless car. But the point is still made that it's not always wise to do so, myself included.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Chekov has a point. Not having a front plate is a reason for a LEO to stop you. If he subsequently finds something else more serious, the stop will hold up in court because he had a reason to stop you. There is some reason for the requirement whether we agree or not. That being said, I don't have one. And I won't. The fine here is about $100 and If I'm issued the citation I'm perfectly willing (though not happily) to pay it because I am knowingly and intentionally breaking that law. A ticket for it would be fair even though I don't like the requirement. I also have window tint that is one step darker than is legal so I might get cited for that too as a consequence of initially being pulled over for no front plate. If that happens, it's nobody's fault but my own. I won't like it, but I wont complain about it or claim it's unfair either. However even though Chekov feels passionately about following the law in this instance, I can disagree with him and still be respectful of his passion for us all to mod our cars legally. It ain't gonna happen, but it's his right to keep throwing it out there as much as it is everyone else's to disagree or ignore his admonition.

Preach on brother!
Old 07-29-2011, 01:38 AM
confusedbruin

that stillen plate looks SICK. do it.

also, if a car HAS a traditional plate bracket, can the bracket be removed cleanly to install a Stillen?

Quick Reply: Front License Plate?