G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Front License Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 03:20 AM
Dipstix6996

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suction cup that thing to your windshield. The suction cup has a nipple that can fit through the hole on a plate. There is another small hole in the nipple, of the suction cup, that a small plastic post fits into. When applied correctly, your plate will stay suction cupped to the front windshield.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:49 AM
voltic

^ Front plates in the windshield are only legal in a few states.

@bruin - The factory plate bracket has two holes drilled in your bumper for mounting. You need paint matched bumper plugs, and even then it's not the cleanest.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM
mystakin
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RaulGCustom
RaulG, how did this hold up at high speeds? im interested in getting one of these motorized plates, but im not too sure if it will stay on at 70+mph..

what brand/company did you use for yours if it did hold up?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Front plate in the windshield is NOT legal in TX. It's been contested in court and it was determined that it didn't meet the criteria of the law even though it's vaguely worded.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Dipstix6996

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Front plate in the windshield is NOT legal in TX. It's been contested in court and it was determined that it didn't meet the criteria of the law even though it's vaguely worded.
I can see if you just have it laying up in the dash..
Was it securely fastened with suction cups. A lot of states require the plate be mounted to the front of the vehicle.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Dipstix6996
Was it securely fastened with suction cups. A lot of states require the plate be mounted to the front of the vehicle.
You can’t have it both ways. If it’s just lying on the dash it can’t be read from the street. If it’s secured on the windshield with suction cups then it’s blocking the driver’s vision. Either way, most courts would rule against you.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:45 PM
voltic

Yep. Same reason a photo "lens" over your plate is illegal. Your windshield is shifting the view of your plate in such a way it can't be read.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Suction cups inside the windshield isn't securely mounted. What's to stop someone from taking it down at will to keep it from being read by law enforcement? Or if someone is pulled over, just taking it off of the floor and putting it up there really quick? Or when it becomes a sharp edged projectile coming toward your face in the event of a severe crash? Can't do that if it's mounted on the front bumper. Unless you have an electronically controlled hideaway plate.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:58 AM
Dipstix6996

Originally Posted by Chekov
You can’t have it both ways. If it’s just lying on the dash it can’t be read from the street. If it’s secured on the windshield with suction cups then it’s blocking the driver’s vision. Either way, most courts would rule against you.
It doesn't block your view. I fought it in court. However, It depends on the judge you get and how the law is interpreted.

Originally Posted by voltic
Yep. Same reason a photo "lens" over your plate is illegal. Your windshield is shifting the view of your plate in such a way it can't be read.
Laws are different in every state regarding a "lens" over your plate. So you are telling me when you look out your windshield, it shifts your view??? I like your attempt, but it was a stupid comment.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Suction cups inside the windshield isn't securely mounted. What's to stop someone from taking it down at will to keep it from being read by law enforcement? Or if someone is pulled over, just taking it off of the floor and putting it up there really quick? Or when it becomes a sharp edged projectile coming toward your face in the event of a severe crash? Can't do that if it's mounted on the front bumper. Unless you have an electronically controlled hideaway plate.
It's open to interpretation. If you take it down and it's required, you'll get pulled over. There are many variables to what I've said. It all depends on your state laws. Read them and understand them. That will be your best defense.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

It's open to interpretation. If you take it down and it's required, you'll get pulled over. There are many variables to what I've said. It all depends on your state laws. Read them and understand them. That will be your best defense.
What I'm saying is that in Texas it has already been interpreted. There have been suits filed. Cases decided. The decision was that a plate displayed anywhere inside the vehicle doesn't meet the requirement of the Texas law. You could try taking yet another case before the courts, but it wouldn't likely do any good. You are going to pay the fine. Is it really worth hiring a lawyer for a $100 citation that isn't a moving violation and that will be dismissed anyway if you just put the pate on the car?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
It doesn't block your view. I fought it in court. However, It depends on the judge you get and how the law is interpreted.
I don’t "see" how a metal rectangle 12” x 6-3/8” would not block your view. At any rate, how did your court fight on this issue turn out?

BTW, in California nothing is allowed on a windshield except for a 5” square on the lower left of the driver’s side (7” on the passenger right side) for GPS devices. That means a license plate in any windshield position would be illegal due to its size.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Dipstix6996

It might block your view of the hood. But you can still see all the areas you need to just fine. I'm from a different state so I won. I never paid a fine while my tag was there. Now I have a different car, I don't even display my front tag.

That's why I'm say that the OP needs to check out his state laws. It's different everywhere you go..
Old 08-02-2011, 01:24 AM
voltic

Laws are different in every state regarding a "lens" over your plate. So you are telling me when you look out your windshield, it shifts your view??? I like your attempt, but it was a stupid comment.
Actually my comment stands. Windshields cause some distortion around the corners and especially from an angle, which is exactly where you would mount the plate. The lenses cause a similar effect, though far more drastic. I do think about things before I just throw **** out there. There's also the matter of glare and reflections.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:29 PM
kmartinjr

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by speedracer g37
drive around without one. if you get a fix it ticket, use a factory front plate mount with double sided 3m foam tape and get it inspected. then just take off the plate until the next time you need it.
Ridiculously Smarttt
Old 06-15-2015, 02:24 AM
-SnowMan-

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kmartinjr
Ridiculously Smarttt
Lol, 4 year old post.

But also.. just glue some earth magnets behind the bumper and some to a license plate. Then place foam furniture pads on the magnets that are on the plate itself.

Just attach and detach the plate when needed.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate?