Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Front License Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:41 AM
stkerr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracer g37
drive around without one. if you get a fix it ticket, use a factory front plate mount with double sided 3m foam tape and get it inspected. then just take off the plate until the next time you need it.
Do fix it tickets usually imply you don't have to pay if you fix it? (That would be ok then) or is it $35 (guess) + fix it? I'm in Ohio by the way.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I had seen a lot of upscale cars here in Vegas with out the front plates and I always wondered how they got away with that. Now I know, thanks for the information.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:24 PM
atombomb33
Registered Member

Originally Posted by voltic
Actually it does, according to the NV DMV and NHP, who I asked about it about four years ago.

Not all G37s come with a front plate bracket, and some have no holes drilled for such. Mine did, but when I had the bumper replaced I asked them specifically not to drill it just so in the event I do get stopped for front plates, there is no question.
Unfortunately that's no longer the case in NY. I recently moved from North Carolina to NY. In NC, no front plate required. When I moved to NY I was pulled over within 2 months and was told I needed to change my NC plates to NY plates and that I was required to have one in the front. Now, NY law does not state exactly how it needs to be displayed in the front. You can mount it on the bumper or you can put it in the front window on the dash. They don't care as long as the plate is displayed in the front.

All new Infinitis when purchased have the plate bracket included. If it isn't in your car when you purchase it, that means the dealer took it out during the PDI inspection. You should either ask them for it before you leave with the car or ask them to send it to you.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:25 PM
atombomb33
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hobbs
Word of warning, if you go to LAX jury rig a plate mount. TSA scans incomming vehicle plates and you stand a good chance of being ticketed.
That happened to my wife several years back when we lived in LA. She came to the airport to pick me up from a business trip and a cop pulled her over and gave her a fix it ticket for not having a front plate. Prior to that she had been driving around LA for 10 years without ever mounting a front license plate on any of her cars. It was just bad luck that day.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:27 PM
atombomb33
Registered Member

In the end, it's all a game of chance. The likelihood of a cop pulling you over only for a front license plate is very small. But, if they pull you over for something else they are almost certainly going to hit you for the front plate as well.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:29 PM
cribbsjy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Call me cheap, but I didn't want to spend $100 on the Stillen towhook mount, so I spent $11 on some bolts/washers/threaded rod and did this:

Name:  IMG_20110627_170303.jpg
Views: 1576
Size:  150.9 KB

Not the absolute prettiest, but you don't see it unless you look for it
Old 07-26-2011, 07:40 PM
MikeG37s
Registered Member

I got the same dilemma. My car came from Michigan and didn't have front plate mount, but I'm in Illinois and need it. I'm still planning on either the Stillen or something home made.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 PM
zoop425

Im in NY have been riding with no front plate for over 4 months with no tickets
Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I’ve heard it a hundred times now: “I have no front plate and have not yet been pulled over.” Come on, kids, that’s no guarantee it won’t happen tomorrow. And when it does, they may also get you for something else, like no seat belts on, outdated insurance or registration papers, other illegal mods, or worse yet, having had one too many beers from that party you’re coming home from. You could be spending the night in jail, just because your car (now impounded), looks better with no front plate.

Just put the damn plate on, and drive freely, legally and without fear, so you can enjoy driving without worrying about all the misfortunes that could befall you.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:53 AM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
I’ve heard it a hundred times now: “I have no front plate and have not yet been pulled over.” Come on, kids, that’s no guarantee it won’t happen tomorrow. And when it does, they may also get you for something else, like no seat belts on, outdated insurance or registration papers, other illegal mods, or worse yet, having had one too many beers from that party you’re coming home from. You could be spending the night in jail, just because your car (now impounded), looks better with no front plate.

Just put the damn plate on, and drive freely, legally and without fear, so you can enjoy driving without worrying about all the misfortunes that could befall you.
. . . and your worried about the plate?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:59 AM
voltic

Or just move to a state that isn't run by fascists.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:58 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbs
. . . and your worried about the plate?
Perhaps you’re missing my point. It’s not the plate anyone should be worried about. It’s the possible difficulties that could result when pulled over because of it, as well as the constant worry of looking over one’s shoulder that can detract from the enjoyment of driving your G.

I know I hold a minority opinion here, but I believe the G looks great with or without a front plate, and I can’t see risking legal problems just to have this minor cosmetic mod.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:23 AM
cribbsjy

Originally Posted by Chekov
Perhaps you’re missing my point. It’s not the plate anyone should be worried about. It’s the possible difficulties that could result when pulled over because of it, as well as the constant worry of looking over one’s shoulder that can detract from the enjoyment of driving your G.

I know I hold a minority opinion here, but I believe the G looks great with or without a front plate, and I can’t see risking legal problems just to have this minor cosmetic mod.
I have to agree with Chekov. My last car rocked 14% tint all around; it looked great, but I had to CONSTANTLY be on the lookout for cops because I would get cited regularly. Since I have purchased my G37, the lesson has been learned and I am never going to roll with illegal tint again (or, to remain on topic, without a front plate).
Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 AM
voltic

^ I'd be scared to scratch my *** in the bathroom if my car were registered in your state. Your cops are evil.

Last edited by voltic; 07-27-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: LOL. Tired, first post came out way off.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:44 PM
cribbsjy

Originally Posted by voltic
^ I'd be scared to scratch my *** in the bathroom if my car were registered in your state. Your cops are evil.
Yeah... Virginia isn't the state you want to be in if you are a car enthusiast. Technically, any modification to the engine/drivetrain/exhaust is illegal and ticket worthy... The state troopers are the worst regarding stupid citations, while locals will sometimes look the other way.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate?