Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37S Extreme Diet

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:52 PM
kchu221
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
how do you like the new seats? have you tried recaro and bride seats before? if you can compare to them, which ones more comfortable??
Old 05-16-2011, 04:59 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Do you plan on replacing exterior body parts for weight reduction as well? I'm sure our doors are quite heavy
Old 05-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Simon_TheGreat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are your seats for sell?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:01 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
good progress.. when i had my 350z i gutted the whole thing... i only bought it to race at the track..it was a pain to put it all back to stock when i sold it
Old 05-16-2011, 05:03 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
only thing he could replalce them with is carbon fiber to make it worth while.dont think anyone makes them but..then he would need a roll cage for safety

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Do you plan on replacing exterior body parts for weight reduction as well? I'm sure our doors are quite heavy
Old 05-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Frankyg37s

carbon fibre hood and trunk would help
Old 05-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
That's extremely unsafe unless you cage the car.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 PM
ECain18

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Mike: they are corbeaus. Nothing fancy but are def nice. Better than brides I have tried. maybe in a year or 2 ill stick these in my 240z if im not happy and get recaros. They are nice but $$$$$ ha. I'd rather buy brakes than seats lol

4drScreamer: As far as the supercharger idea that would add 70 lbs back to the front which would make the distribution more like 57/43, if not more, towards the front, so probably won't due that. I might just do rear 4.08's instead. heard they are fun. I still have brakes, wheels, pulley's, Long tube headers, and flywheel, coupled with my battery to do up front should shave off 120 lbs up front to bring it back to a stock/normal distribution with the weight I have lost out the back. I figure I have lost 125 out of the rear of the car, so it will still be 53/47 front biased.

RadMav: fuel def can be felt when my car is on E versus full. I do wanna auto X it sometime soon when im done. thanks for the advice

kchu221: lovin the corbeau seats. my cousin had bride seats in his z and I had to stop riding with him because they are too narrow for me. i'm 6'3" and 190 but still really broad, so the top rear side bolsters hit my shoulder blades haha. Insanely uncomfortable. As far as recaros, I have only ridden in the stock s4 seats, not any of there racing seats. Mine are the same comfort level, just more support and lighter. My only gripe is the height. It sits me too high so my head is practically touching the ceiling of the car. I got the custom seat brackets supposedly for the g37, but it still sits high from the floor. I am going to cut the 2 rear posts on each of my seat brackets and re-weld them lower. Should give me at least 3/4" lower which would be perfect for me. If you are 6' or under, it would fit you fine.

Sam and franky: I have thought about doing maybe the trunk and hood, but the hood saves like 4 lbs maybe ha. The trunk is decent it would save about 30 lbs i think, but still rear biased. I need to do something significant to the front of the car. Any ideas besides what I'm already planning on doing?? And i know they make carbon fiber doors for the GTR and whatnot, but idk of anyone doing that for a g. They would laugh at me haha and I still want to semi daily it like on weekends and whatnot so it has to remain somewhat practical. I still have all my speakers and air and wanna keep that but do you have any ideas for up front?

Last edited by ECain18; 05-16-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 PM
ECain18

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Simon_the great: front and rear seat sale is already pending. I will let you know if it doesn't happen but it's almost a done deal.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:19 AM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by ECain18
Simon_the great: front and rear seat sale is already pending. I will let you know if it doesn't happen but it's almost a done deal.

No...it's gonna happen lol! been waiting for these!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 PM
RadMav

Originally Posted by Mike
Sounds like you need a rear sway
Actually I need a front sway. The sway bar increases traction on the end of the car you put it on. It helps decrease body roll, thereby keeping the tire tread flat maintaining the contact patch, rather than allowing the tire to roll on to one side and decrease the contact patch. When the car understeers (plows) it means the traction is higher on the rear tires than the front tires. Ideally, you a fine balance that allows you to get the car to turn in with moderate straight line braking. The G doesn't lack power and once you get it turned in it is easy to induce power oversteer (drift). When we autocross I run 42 PSI in the front tires (this increases traction on the front of the car) and I run 38 PSI in the rears ( this decreases the traction on the rear of the car). Running lower pressure in the rear is like using a softer sway bar. Remember In Autocross or racing rolling is faster than sliding
Old 05-18-2011, 11:43 PM
RadMav

Mike: they are corbeaus. Nothing fancy but are def nice. Better than brides I have tried. maybe in a year or 2 ill stick these in my 240z if im not happy and get recaros. They are nice but $$$$$ ha. I'd rather buy brakes than seats lol

4drScreamer: As far as the supercharger idea that would add 70 lbs back to the front which would make the distribution more like 57/43, if not more, towards the front, so probably won't due that. I might just do rear 4.08's instead. heard they are fun. I still have brakes, wheels, pulley's, Long tube headers, and flywheel, coupled with my battery to do up front should shave off 120 lbs up front to bring it back to a stock/normal distribution with the weight I have lost out the back. I figure I have lost 125 out of the rear of the car, so it will still be 53/47 front biased.

RadMav: fuel def can be felt when my car is on E versus full. I do wanna auto X it sometime soon when im done. thanks for the advice

kchu221: lovin the corbeau seats. my cousin had bride seats in his z and I had to stop riding with him because they are too narrow for me. i'm 6'3" and 190 but still really broad, so the top rear side bolsters hit my shoulder blades haha. Insanely uncomfortable. As far as recaros, I have only ridden in the stock s4 seats, not any of there racing seats. Mine are the same comfort level, just more support and lighter. My only gripe is the height. It sits me too high so my head is practically touching the ceiling of the car. I got the custom seat brackets supposedly for the g37, but it still sits high from the floor. I am going to cut the 2 rear posts on each of my seat brackets and re-weld them lower. Should give me at least 3/4" lower which would be perfect for me. If you are 6' or under, it would fit you fine.

Sam and franky: I have thought about doing maybe the trunk and hood, but the hood saves like 4 lbs maybe ha. The trunk is decent it would save about 30 lbs i think, but still rear biased. I need to do something significant to the front of the car. Any ideas besides what I'm already planning on doing?? And i know they make carbon fiber doors for the GTR and whatnot, but idk of anyone doing that for a g. They would laugh at me haha and I still want to semi daily it like on weekends and whatnot so it has to remain somewhat practical. I still have all my speakers and air and wanna keep that but do you have any ideas for up front?
Your profile doesn't say where you live when you are ready to Autocross you contact the SCCA if you live in the US. They love having new people. They are always very friendly. They will be happy to help you with every thing you need to make you faster! If you want you can get an instructor to ride with you in your car and coach you or you can have them drive your car. It's always cool when a couple of people with the same type of car show up. When you get to know people they will sometimes let you ride with them or if you are lucky they'll let you or ask you to drive their cars. Two months ago I hooked up a ride in a TT 911 that was just brutal! Good luck
Old 05-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Mike

Originally Posted by RadMav
Actually I need a front sway. The sway bar increases traction on the end of the car you put it on. It helps decrease body roll, thereby keeping the tire tread flat maintaining the contact patch, rather than allowing the tire to roll on to one side and decrease the contact patch. When the car understeers (plows) it means the traction is higher on the rear tires than the front tires. Ideally, you a fine balance that allows you to get the car to turn in with moderate straight line braking. The G doesn't lack power and once you get it turned in it is easy to induce power oversteer (drift). When we autocross I run 42 PSI in the front tires (this increases traction on the front of the car) and I run 38 PSI in the rears ( this decreases the traction on the rear of the car). Running lower pressure in the rear is like using a softer sway bar. Remember In Autocross or racing rolling is faster than sliding
I believe you are mistaken sir.

A larger front will induce more understeer by causing the outer front wheel to run at a higher slip angle (less grip), while the inner rear works at a lower slip angle (more grip).

A larger rear or smaller front will help you dial out your understeer.

Decreasing body roll doesn't lessen the load on your tire any. Although you're increasing roll stiffness, you're the car isn't any lighter; you're still putting the same load on the tires.

You want a stiffer rear sway. Trust me. Understeer doesn't mean the front has less traction than the rear. It means you overcame the traction of the front tires before you overcame the traction of the rear tires.

I can make my car understeer or oversteer at will, depending on how I go into a corner; I run non-staggered tires on non-staggered rims.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:56 PM
harbin9er
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
While reducing the mass of the car will always improve performance, the improvement varies greatly depending on what part u reduce. Check out the thread i made on reducing rotational mass to improve straightline acceleration. For the avg modder, lighter wheels and clutch have the greatest effect, pulleys and rotors have v little effect. But, for someone as hardcore as u, every lb counts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/modding...-analysis.html

weight is a bigtime killer! especially with the g already being way overweight. If you could couple all of the modifications I plan on doing with the weight savings so far, the g would be an absolute animal.

So far (with new seats installed), 270 lbs

Future modifications weight savings:

LTH's: 17 lbs

lightweight pulleys: 8 lbs unsprung and rotational
lightweight flywheel: lets say 12 lbs rotational and unsprung
2 piece rotors: 30 lbs total rotational and unsprung
Forged Alloys tech1 wheels weigh 17-19 lbs vs 26-27 stock?: 9lbs X 4 = 36 lbs rotational and unsprung
to bring the total rotational weight down by 86 lbs total.

Please feel free to correct me anyone, I certainly do not have all the technical knowledge so please feel free to correct at any time.

From what i understand, rotation and unsprung weight combined are like 9 lbs for every 1 lbs actually lost, which i feel is pretty conservative number . That would make the car a monster!

Plus, i keep telling my mommy this is all for better gas mileage :-) Note to anyone else, that excuse might work with gf's, wives, or anyone one else who complains about you modding your car... feel free to copy
Old 08-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by harbin9er
While reducing the mass of the car will always improve performance, the improvement varies greatly depending on what part u reduce. Check out the thread i made on reducing rotational mass to improve straightline acceleration. For the avg modder, lighter wheels and clutch have the greatest effect, pulleys and rotors have v little effect. But, for someone as hardcore as u, every lb counts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/modding...-analysis.html
If you had the option to reduce weight 10% or increase power 10%, which would you do?

Quick Reply: G37S Extreme Diet