Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

how do you guys brake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how do you guys brake?

If you're in 4th gear, maybe 3k rpm and coming up on a stop sign or red light. What do you do to brake. Some put it in N and brakes to a stop, some just let off the throttle and brakes till close enough then go into N. Is the "correct" way and also the best way to down shift rev match 4-3-2? If so, it seems like you'd have to do that preeety quickly.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:11 PM
chasemyaccord

I'm no expert, but here's my 2 cents...

The short answer is, it depends! Most of the time, I just pop it into neutral and coast to a stop. I don't see why you'd want to down shift and rev match unless you know you'll be on the gas again before the stop.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
beestea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't drive a manual often but I would say down shift at least once before going to neutral.

Now on my auto... i baby the brakes because I come from 1 honda, and 1 acura, both which had severely under powered brakes where the rotors would start to warp after 15k miles.

The G's brakes seem to be much much better so far.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:21 PM
6sp-G37

well with me if im coming to a complete stop i'll just shift into neutral and coast, but if im slowing down and knowing im going to get back on the gas i'll down shift and match the rpms with the gears so its a smooth take off. but thats just me.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:23 PM
wireboltman

I always use the engine as a brake and have never put a car in neutral approaching a stop sign in my life.

All this talk of rev matching every gear every time you downshift is unnecessary. Unless you're up by the redline of the gear you're going to downshift into, it's really kind of silly-
Old 01-10-2008, 07:47 PM
6sp-G37

Originally Posted by wireboltman
I always use the engine as a brake and have never put a car in neutral approaching a stop sign in my life.

All this talk of rev matching every gear every time you downshift is unnecessary. Unless you're up by the redline of the gear you're going to downshift into, it's really kind of silly-
its silly but smooth.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 PM
ucla bruin

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
I'm no expert, but here's my 2 cents...

The short answer is, it depends! Most of the time, I just pop it into neutral and coast to a stop. I don't see why you'd want to down shift and rev match unless you know you'll be on the gas again before the stop.

I heard that you would wear out the brakes faster if you coast in N then brakes without engine braking because in automatics, when you slow down, it automatically down shifts so the engine is helping you with braking.

When you engine brake, do you down shift just once or multiple till 2nd.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:19 PM
6sp-G37

depends on how fast ur going, how fast u wanna stop blah blah blah.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:34 PM
wireboltman

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
I heard that you would wear out the brakes faster if you coast in N then brakes without engine braking because in automatics, when you slow down, it automatically down shifts so the engine is helping you with braking.

When you engine brake, do you down shift just once or multiple till 2nd.
Of course you'll wear your brakes out faster putting it neutral. I would venture to say that if done every time you come to a stop, it'll be substantially faster.

There's nothing cast in stone about exactly how many gears you might drop down.
In the situation you describe, I might downshift into 3rd--slowdown, brake a bit, then down into 2nd, braking some more and come up to the stop sign in 2nd---then push the clutch in and stop.
I would very rarely stick it into 1st coming up to a stop sign.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:44 PM
DoubleParadoxx

I downshift to 3rd and then go to N at about 1000RPMs.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:49 PM
mal_TX

This advice is broken. Don't follow it, simple googling will prove it to be false. ALWAYS Rev match all downshifts more than 1,000 revs apart.

Do not use your clutch to bring your engine up to speed with the rear wheels/tranny.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:23 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

I use both. Sometimes downshift and sometimes go to neutral and brake, it depends on the situation. If you are not good at downshifting or worried about it then just put it in neutral and brake. It is much cheaper to buy new brakes/rotors then to replace the clutch/gearbox.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:47 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually keep it in gear (typically 5th or 6th of course) while braking.....around about 1k rpms and/or 10-15 MPH i engange clutch, put it in N and continue braking with brakes until complete stop...then I sit there in neutral anticipating the yellow light or whatever the signal is that gives me 5 secs till I get green and that's when I put into 1st again.......

Works out pretty well for me - really no downshifting but i suppose keeping in gear may count for something I dunno - Hope Im not wearing brakes out quicker...honestly downshifting for every braking to a stop sounds very tedious to me. especially with all the city/suburban driving I do...I mean if the wear difference is substantial Ill change my ways though

Chilibowl what do you think? Lol Im always asking you - but that's cause you're my 6mt Guru...

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 01-11-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:48 AM
spyderbret

Originally Posted by bboysteele
I use both. Sometimes downshift and sometimes go to neutral and brake, it depends on the situation. If you are not good at downshifting or worried about it then just put it in neutral and brake. It is much cheaper to buy new brakes/rotors then to replace the clutch/gearbox.
Exactly!!!

If your like me and have the 5AT just keep it in manual mode and the computer does the rev matching for you. I do it just cause I like the sound.
My last car was a manual. Sometimes I downshifted while rev matching, sometimes I didnt rev match and sometimes I just threw it in neutral. Whatever floats your boat. As long as you are not racing every day you will probably get rid of the car before you wear it out....
Old 01-11-2008, 01:06 AM
solopresident
Premier Member

I brake on a dime!

Quick Reply: how do you guys brake?