Sponsored By:

We all knew this thread was coming....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:17 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bloodhound
So far we've got ditch the spare tires, rip the seats out, drive naked and no rear brakes....all im going to say is if you get pulled over...it could b one of those things right up there with the lunatic space girl and the whole diaper bit....
lmao
Old 06-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Rampant

I hate to break up all the sidebar tangents, but can we please get back to the OP's question about how to drop weight?

First of all, I don't think anyone knows where the weight is from since no one has spent time with the car. Plus, I am not even sure the engine weighs more (its a stroker IIRC, though the heads might be heavier). Also, I assume you don't want to go the stripped/gutted route, otherwise, why buy a luxury car?

So, the question still remains, can we drop 100# or so from the car and not effect daily use all that much? If so, how?

I would imagine forged wheels, lighter battery, Ti exhaust, CF fenders/hood (if not already aluminum), lighter seats, and if we can get someone to make it, AL suspension components would be the logical first step, without touching the interior. Not sure how much it would save in the end though. And, even more to the point, I doubt it would be worth the money spent to make it happen (which is why weight from factory makes a big difference).

You also might be able to get a good shop to drill some lightening holes in strategic parts of the chassis. You would just need someone good to know where/how to do it right, but that might be going a bit far.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:32 PM
gspotter

Originally Posted by chilibowl
Thats what YOU think, YOUR opinion. For more open-minded people and non-fanboys, this is a hell of a car. Great interior, great exterior looks, rich in technology, great handling, great power, almost exotic exhaust note, for the money, there is simply no better car. Go back into your lil G35 fanboy cave kid, youre simply just mad your car is inferior in every way possible to a new generation car.

G35 inferior in every way? LOL!

G37 weighs approx. 200 pounds more than G35
G37 no longer has lightweight forged Rays Engineering wheels- Infiniti skimped on the new wheels to save $$$$
Motor Trend results:
G37 only 0.3 seconds faster 0-60 than G35
G37 only 0.2 seconds faster in a quarter mile than G35
G37 only 0.4 mph higher in a quarter mile than G35
G35 Brembos ('03-'04): 60mph to 0 in 109'
G37 Akebonos: 60mph to 0 in 110'

So the G37 is heavier and the performance is basically identical to the G35, the G35 looks better and the G37 has a nicer interior (not sporty enough for my tastes, however). Not worth trading in my G35 for a G37!

(Here's my G35 with a completely stock exterior totally unchanged from how it was on the showroom floor, other than Volk GT-7 wheels and JDM HID fog lights added:
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161170
G37 will never look that good.)

G37 is nice but not superior in every way over a G35.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:53 PM
anotha

Originally Posted by gspotter
G35 inferior in every way? LOL!

G37 weighs approx. 200 pounds more than G35
G37 no longer has lightweight forged Rays Engineering wheels- Infiniti skimped on the new wheels to save $$$$
Motor Trend results:
G37 only 0.3 seconds faster 0-60 than G35
G37 only 0.2 seconds faster in a quarter mile than G35
G37 only 0.4 mph higher in a quarter mile than G35
G35 Brembos ('03-'04): 60mph to 0 in 109'
G37 Akebonos: 60mph to 0 in 110'

So the G37 is heavier and the performance is basically identical to the G35, the G35 looks better and the G37 has a nicer interior (not sporty enough for my tastes, however). Not worth trading in my G35 for a G37!

(Here's my G35 with a completely stock exterior totally unchanged from how it was on the showroom floor, other than Volk GT-7 wheels and JDM HID fog lights added:
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161170
G37 will never look that good.)

G37 is nice but not superior in every way over a G35.
G35 is nice but imo i think the g377 is more aggressive. But like i said imo.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:14 PM
WasabiPossum

Excerpt from your:[QUOTE=gspotter]

"G37 no longer has lightweight forged Rays Engineering wheels - Infiniti skimped on the new wheels to save $$$$?"

I am really disappointed about the wheels (6MT) in more ways than one:

First, they are now CAST with ten hollow-back spokes, AFIK.
Secondly, they are bound to be a lot heavier than the really nice 19" Rays carried through the 2007 cars. Think retail $$ runs $740/per for those Rays.
Third, IMO, they would be a lot more attractive had Infiniti chosen to reverse the spoke pattern; i.e, putting the heavier outer end of the spoke at the hub, so the mass would run from the hub area to a more graceful and balanced outer rim where the thinner dimension would tie to the rim.
Lastly, FORGED wheels are inherently stronger and can often be repaired, whereas a cast wheel might well wind up on the trash heap. ++ $$!

Does anyone know what the weight of the new G37 wheel is? Front and Rear, with and without rubber? Here's one place where the "Phat, Porky G37" (as indicated in other posts) can shed some meaningful weight. Unsprung weight is the enemy! Too bad that GOOD forged wheels are SO expensive, not that the "casties" on the new G will likely be cheap!

Perhaps Infiniti-Michael can dig up some wheel specs for us: I'm sending this post to his attention.

Here's Domo, doing his famous "PO'd Wheel Dance!"
Old 06-29-2007, 09:20 PM
bloodhound

[QUOTE=WasabiPossum]Excerpt from your:
Originally Posted by gspotter

"G37 no longer has lightweight forged Rays Engineering wheels - Infiniti skimped on the new wheels to save $$$$?"

I am really disappointed about the wheels (6MT) in more ways than one:

First, they are now CAST with ten hollow-back spokes, AFIK.
Secondly, they are bound to be a lot heavier than the really nice 19" Rays carried through the 2007 cars. Think retail $$ runs $740/per for those Rays.
Third, IMO, they would be a lot more attractive had Infiniti chosen to reverse the spoke pattern; i.e, putting the heavier outer end of the spoke at the hub, so the mass would run from the hub area to a more graceful and balanced outer rim where the thinner dimension would tie to the rim.
Lastly, FORGED wheels are inherently stronger and can often be repaired, whereas a cast wheel might well wind up on the trash heap. ++ $$!

Does anyone know what the weight of the new G37 wheel is? Front and Rear, with and without rubber? Here's one place where the "Phat, Porky G37" (as indicated in other posts) can shed some meaningful weight. Unsprung weight is the enemy! Too bad that GOOD forged wheels are SO expensive, not that the "casties" on the new G will likely be cheap!

Perhaps Infiniti-Michael can dig up some wheel specs for us: I'm sending this post to his attention.

Here's Domo, doing his famous "PO'd Wheel Dance!"
Looks like domo is doing jumping jacks. IDK imo id rather upgrade wheelz myself even if they offered nice wheels from factory...U never get tires that are wide enough, nor is the wheel weight / design just right. What I wished they offered w/ this dam car was the Bourbon leather in the M35/M45. Now thats sexy. Whats more annoying is ive seen that leather in a Z on the street. Dunno if it was custom or option.