ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

flex fuel mod for e85

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 02:59 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
flex fuel mod for e85

I am thinking of getting this mod done to my G so I can run e85, has anyone done this to their g? I read over on the 370 forum that you can run e85 without changing the injectors or fuel pump. you can see about a 12whp and torque gain from adjusting the afr and tweaking the timing ever so slightly. I am currently emailing seb about the flex fuel sensor that needs to be put in the fuel line for this system to work. if anyone is considering this mod or has this done already please chime in, I figured this thread could become a good resource for people looking for info and to share their experiences once this mod becomes more popular. anyone who has this done please let us know how much this conversion cost when all said and done.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:14 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Yes you should be able to add an ethanol content sensor if you have Ecutek. I'm not positive how exactly it works with Ecutek as Ecutek itself was a failed experiment for me since I have a VQ35HR. But, I think the sensor communicates to Ecutek/ECU through a secondary air pump wire.

You will at minimum need a new fuel pump and bigger injectors. I would recommend a fuel return as well since more fuel would be pushed through the system.
The following 2 users liked this post by ttv36:
conkus805 (10-01-2015), hooey_b (10-18-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 03:35 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by conkus805
I am thinking of getting this mod done to my G so I can run e85, has anyone done this to their g? I read over on the 370 forum that you can run e85 without changing the injectors or fuel pump. you can see about a 12whp and torque gain from adjusting the afr and tweaking the timing ever so slightly. I am currently emailing seb about the flex fuel sensor that needs to be put in the fuel line for this system to work. if anyone is considering this mod or has this done already please chime in, I figured this thread could become a good resource for people looking for info and to share their experiences once this mod becomes more popular. anyone who has this done please let us know how much this conversion cost when all said and done.
Word!! i just sent Seb a email asking what i need to do to swtich over to E85
ill be down their in a few weeks and may do the switch over then if they have the time
The following users liked this post:
conkus805 (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 04:50 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

nice! please make sure to post back to this thread once you have the mod done for your impressions. also, post up the cost and parts involved.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:51 PM
Synolimit

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckie311
Word!! i just sent Seb a email asking what i need to do to swtich over to E85
ill be down their in a few weeks and may do the switch over then if they have the time
One member said you need nothing but a tune. Injectors are near maxed though. I personally just went e85 and all i did was GTR injectors. Even drove to the tuners with a full tank of e85 and the injectors without a hiccup! The fuel burns fast enough that the injectors will compensate. I wouldnt go wot till the tunes done though!

The bad news is uprev sucks! We couldnt add timing. The map just sucks and i dont want to spend $800 for ecutek's more advance mapping. Guess we'll see if uprev can make something new. Im going back to 93 for now as i lost power. The 93 map just cant burn soon enough to use e85 like it should. We ran the same timing on e85 as we did on 93 and again it lost power.
The following 3 users liked this post by Synolimit:
chuckie311 (10-02-2015), conkus805 (10-02-2015), hooey_b (11-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 11:08 PM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
flex fuel mod for e85

Get fuel pump and injectors. On stock, it'll be near max or max out your fuel system. Ecutek is the way to go. Also a return system is recommended (not necessary) for there will be a lot more fuel pushing through. Hit up cjm for their in line fuel gauge tap to at least keep an eye on the pressure.

Last edited by PongSanity; 10-23-2015 at 01:55 AM.
chuckie311 (10-02-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 12:55 AM
chuckie311

nice! please make sure to post back to this thread once you have the mod done for your impressions. also, post up the cost and parts involved.

Email from Seb

I recommend injectors and we would need to install a flex fuel sensor in the fuel line somewhere so your car can run different ethanol contents. I have yet to do that on a stock fuel system only on modified return style systems.

so what ever he recommends I should do that's the way i'm going..
when im down there ill chat with him and see what parts he wants to go with and then ill post it up..i highly doubt I could get this done this year just the way my schedule falls and my vaction is already planned out for the rest of the year..it would be out on my list for first half of next year..
conkus805 (10-02-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 01:01 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Synolimit
One member said you need nothing but a tune. Injectors are near maxed though. I personally just went e85 and all i did was GTR injectors. Even drove to the tuners with a full tank of e85 and the injectors without a hiccup! The fuel burns fast enough that the injectors will compensate. I wouldnt go wot till the tunes done though!

The bad news is uprev sucks! We couldnt add timing. The map just sucks and i dont want to spend $800 for ecutek's more advance mapping. Guess we'll see if uprev can make something new. Im going back to 93 for now as i lost power. The 93 map just cant burn soon enough to use e85 like it should. We ran the same timing on e85 as we did on 93 and again it lost power.
On your setup, did you get the inline sensor for the fuel line? I'm trying to get pricing on the particular part. And as far as I know, ecutek is the only tuning solution for going flex fuel as your tuner can tune your map for any level of ethanol in your gas. You may have lost power due to your mixture not being 100% ethanol, if you didn't completely drain your tank and refill with ethanol you may not have had e85 in your tank, maybe like e70-80'depending how much 93 was left in you fuel system. Seb suggests draining the whole tank and tuning on e85 only then adding in gas so he can tune with several different mixtures to optimize how the ecu compensates to anything under e85. Sorry, winded post but how much did you pay for the conversion if you don't mind me asking.
hooey_b (11-01-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 01:06 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

Email from Seb

I recommend injectors and we would need to install a flex fuel sensor in the fuel line somewhere so your car can run different ethanol contents. I have yet to do that on a stock fuel system only on modified return style systems.

so what ever he recommends I should do that's the way i'm going..
when im down there ill chat with him and see what parts he wants to go with and then ill post it up..i highly doubt I could get this done this year just the way my schedule falls and my vaction is already planned out for the rest of the year..it would be out on my list for first half of next year..
Yeah he sent me a similar email as well. I'll Probably go with injectors but see what the stock fuel pump can do. If I need to upgrade I probably will. So cost would include dyno time, injectors (gtr?), flex fuel sensor, install costs.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Synolimit

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
On your setup, did you get the inline sensor for the fuel line? I'm trying to get pricing on the particular part. And as far as I know, ecutek is the only tuning solution for going flex fuel as your tuner can tune your map for any level of ethanol in your gas. You may have lost power due to your mixture not being 100% ethanol, if you didn't completely drain your tank and refill with ethanol you may not have had e85 in your tank, maybe like e70-80'depending how much 93 was left in you fuel system. Seb suggests draining the whole tank and tuning on e85 only then adding in gas so he can tune with several different mixtures to optimize how the ecu compensates to anything under e85. Sorry, winded post but how much did you pay for the conversion if you don't mind me asking.
No i have what i stated, just injectors. Uprev cant do flex fuel. I tested it at e80 and yes the tank was 100% dry. The issue again was the timing map with uprev, it sucks. Injectors were only $200.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:51 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
No this is something I'm thinking about, I been reading the same thread on 370Z. But Id have to find a tuner tho:/ I don't think Visconti believes this will make power. Not sure I could get him to make me E85 tune.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:02 AM
chuckie311

Originally Posted by Synolimit
No i have what i stated, just injectors. Uprev cant do flex fuel. I tested it at e80 and yes the tank was 100% dry. The issue again was the timing map with uprev, it sucks. Injectors were only $200.
where did you find the injectors for 200?
are they plug and play or do you have to make adaptors for them
Old 10-02-2015, 12:56 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

I believe he said he has gtr injectors, if they are 200$ that's not a bad deal. seb and another guy at his shop both have gtr's, I'm going to see if they have changed their injectors and still have them lying around to sell to me.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:38 PM
chuckie311

yes you are correct Greg and Seb have a GTR i saw Sebs last time i was down their.im hoping he brings it in when im there i would love to go for a ride in it..
i have looked online and the cheapest i found GTR injectors were 600

Last edited by chuckie311; 10-02-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:43 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

yes you are correct Greg and Seb have a GTR i saw Sebs last time i was down their.im hoping he brings it in when im there i would love to go for a ride in it..
i have looked online and the cheapest i found GTR injectors were 600
seb confirmed earlier in an email that he does have gtr injectors, his price for them is 600$.

Quick Reply: flex fuel mod for e85