MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Convertible (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-convertible-349/)
-   -   Vert roof breakdown - flaps in trunk area (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-convertible/277450-vert-roof-breakdown-flaps-in-trunk-area.html)

cyberBeach 07-27-2016 08:04 PM

Vert roof breakdown - flaps in trunk area

2011 G37S vert, only 27k miles.

Roof got stuck partially retracted with alert, "Trunk open". When I checked it out, there are two flaps that fold in on the inside rear of the roof. There is a slot that holds each flap left and right in place. The right hand flap was not being held so it hung down.

I was able to return the top to closed by having someone hold the close button in the car while I held the right flap closed (very carefully!).

Assuming this has to go to dealer?

Infiniti Santa Monica is closed. Infiniti Beverly Hills is new. I called but they didn't have a loaner car. Sort of resisted my request as well, but I'm not sitting in the dealer for 2 days waiting for a convertible top part. They said they would call me back when a loaner was available, but close to a week - no call. I could also try Infiniti Van Nuys. I don't think Nissan service would be good for a convertible roof?

bigc 07-29-2016 02:43 AM

Try the folks at OC Infiniti. I've found them to be good to deal with and they're also vendors/sponsors on several of the G/Z forums.

cyberBeach 08-01-2016 05:50 PM

So I took my 2011 27k miles G37S to Infiniti of Beverly Hills - closest now that Santa Monica dealership closed. FYI I found out that Roundtree owns Van Nuys, Beverly Hills, and Torrance.

The problem is the "Dumbo Ears", two small flaps that are supposed to fold back and stay folded when the top is closed. One of them was not staying closed.

Service called me just now and said that the Rear Finisher Assembly has to be replaced.

$800.

They also recommended $189 to replace the battery which failed the cold-start test. I declined that because I'm not having battery problems.

They also offered to replace the rear brake rotors which they said are at 4mm and 3mm is the recommended replacement point. Since I have a loaner and all of the Infiniti dealers are close to an hour away, I requested that. I think it was 2 or 300 bucks.

Marc G37 04-02-2017 12:08 AM

Thanks for posting this. Same exact problem less than 2 days after purchase of a used 2011 G37 Base with 65K miles.

Purple 04-11-2018 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Marc G37 (Post 4121849)
Thanks for posting this. Same exact problem less than 2 days after purchase of a used 2011 G37 Base with 65K miles.

I think I have the same problem. Has anyone here attempted to fix it yourself? Thoughts appreciated.

Av8shunmeckanec 04-11-2018 01:50 AM

Same issue here. 2013 vert and the right flap is dangling. When I push it back into place I can feel gears skipping but it wont stay in place. I want to fix it myself but cant find out which part it is using the online part catalogs. Is there something I am missing in the IPC? Cars are weird as they dont appear to standardized in regards to MM and IPC chapters.

Purple 04-11-2018 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Av8shunmeckanec (Post 4192749)
Same issue here. 2013 vert and the right flap is dangling. When I push it back into place I can feel gears skipping but it wont stay in place. I want to fix it myself but cant find out which part it is using the online part catalogs. Is there something I am missing in the IPC? Cars are weird as they dont appear to standardized in regards to MM and IPC chapters.

this is exactly what I was wondering too! In my case it’s the right flap. I push it back up and it stays in place but falls back down when I close the trunk. Really hoping someone has experienced this before and maybe I’ll get lucky and it’s just something I can tighten on my own or replace. Maybe I’m too hopeful :). I’m having a lot of trouble figuring out which part it is from the diagrams I googled.

Purple 04-11-2018 11:17 PM

Posted this on g35driver on FB too....still no luck or replies....

corey.grizzle 04-17-2018 03:29 PM

Dealer replaced mine. I had searched to see if I could find a part to replace. You'd think you could just replace a stripped gear or something. Replaced under warranty though, so I thankfully didn't have to pay for the $800 assembly.

crawdad8796 04-23-2018 06:35 AM

Had the same problem at 50K miles with my 2009 vert. Between that, trunk struts, and throttle body, and a few other minor repairs my extended warranty has now paid for itself. I highly recommend it. Warranty was 2300 for 5 years, 100K miles total. Dealer let me pay it off over 12 mos, and can be cancelled for a refund of remaining value at any time before expiration. I did this after main roof latch broke and dealer wanted 1900 to replace ($1300 part). Luckily I found the part for 550.

Guy Menard 08-27-2018 07:01 PM

Top flap linkage problem

I had the same problem twice...right, who was replace 2 years ago by dealer for 1300$, now the left one break down 2 weeks ago...i kept the broken part the first time so, i was able to dismantle it and find what was broken...there is a small metal gear inserted in a bigger one made with plastic!...so all toots of that plastic gear are stripped. I try to sold melted plastic between those 2 gears and, i tough that will fix the issue but...it broke again (to much geared). So im looking for a machine shop near to make a iron gear same as the plastic one...even if i pay 150 or 200$ , it will cost much less than replacing the complete linkage assembly. So, if i end succesfully replace this fuc...cheap plastic gear, and if it works...i will reply informations.
Ps: i also found the kinkage maker, who are in Germany, but they dont sell parts to public. So, impossible to get the plastic gear only.

To be continued...

Fins160 08-27-2018 08:57 PM

Guy, how did you disassemble the assembly? Did you drill out the rivets to get the case out that contains the gears? I want to try a fix as well, documented here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-con...ml#post4211235

Guy Menard 08-28-2018 07:28 AM

Removing assembly

Yes i drill the rivets out ...Not easy to do but, its possible with care, i repair the gear and reassemble all together and put new rivets. U have to be care full when install to be sure that the motor cable is inserted at the wright place.in the housing.

In my case, I was not lucky...my repair doesn't last long, so I have do redo it again...Sucks!

Guy Menard 08-11-2019 06:12 PM

Found solution to replace oem worn flap gear

Hi guys, i had problems to with my flap gears, try to repair twice but plastic dont last longer than couple months. So i finaly decide to go to a machine shop and ask them to make me metal gears, cost couples $$$ due to ingenering but worth the money, they made me 5 gears( 3 for the left side and 2 for the right side) two of them are partial without the small center gear and two others are complete ( i install de fifth one to replace the worn left side gear. I send picture of 2 gears ( left and right) . If someone is interested, i can sell 2 complete or partial gears for about 300$(each)+ shipping...im in Québec, Canada. The one i install work great ans im sure this one will last compare to the cheap plastic oem.https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...19c7de1a3e.jpg

teahead 08-13-2019 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Guy Menard (Post 4252156)
Hi guys, i had problems to with my flap gears, try to repair twice but plastic dont last longer than couple months. So i finaly decide to go to a machine shop and ask them to make me metal gears, cost couples $$$ due to ingenering but worth the money, they made me 5 gears( 3 for the left side and 2 for the right side) two of them are partial without the small center gear and two others are complete ( i install de fifth one to replace the worn left side gear. I send picture of 2 gears ( left and right) . If someone is interested, i can sell 2 complete or partial gears for about 300$(each)+ shipping...im in Québec, Canada. The one i install work great ans im sure this one will last compare to the cheap plastic oem.https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...19c7de1a3e.jpg

What year is your 'vert? I think I read in the other thread that they changed the design of the gears? "Now my discovery after going throug all of this is that most likely since my car is a 2012 the gears are different. The teeth are not snapped but outer gear encases the metal gear and is cracked on one end. I am not sure how to go about fixing this. "

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-con...trouble-2.html

$300 for a complete side? I assume w/the partial, you can fit your old gear?