Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 IPL slow paddle shift response

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 03:08 AM
Robert Reyes
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 IPL slow paddle shift response

Theres a second of shift delay when i upshift on my 2012 g37 ipl. I put it on ds mode but response is slow. Lets say if i rev it up to 7k rpm nd upshift the car will red line before it shifts gear and stalls out then shifts. I drove my friends 2010 infiniti g37s and use his paddle shifters, they responded better then mine. Why would that be? ECU issue?
Old 05-29-2019, 09:54 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
your trans may need an update that maybe your friends has had done...more likely its just adapted to his driving vs yours has adapted to your driving...you could try resetting your ECU and driving it differently
Old 05-29-2019, 10:29 PM
Robert Reyes
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
your trans may need an update that maybe your friends has had done...more likely its just adapted to his driving vs yours has adapted to your driving...you could try resetting your ECU and driving it differently
I actually did that and it helped abit but is still there, i drove more aggressive. My friend with the g37s don’t really do anything for his car to perform better so he wouldn’t know about this update. Where would i be able get this ecu update?
Old 05-30-2019, 08:59 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Robert Reyes
I actually did that and it helped abit but is still there, i drove more aggressive. My friend with the g37s don’t really do anything for his car to perform better so he wouldn’t know about this update. Where would i be able get this ecu update?
IIRC its a TCU and not an ECU update but I'm not sure...go to the dealer...if your friend goes to the dealer for service it may have been done then or it may have been done by a previous owner vs on your car...for the learning after a reset it may take a while....depending on the mileage and maintenance history you may want to do a drain and fill of the transmission as well
Old 05-30-2019, 09:38 AM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
FWIW adding some additional ground wires in the engine bay can sometimes help with shift response. You can buy a ground wire set which is fairly expensive compared to following the DIY's on this forum. I added them to my G a couple years ago and while the improvement was marginal, when talking about 1 second any help is positive. I think I ordered 25ft of 8g wire, braided sleeving, copper terminals, and heat shrink from Amazon all for about $30. Its easy to pay $100+ from companies to pre-make them for you.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:28 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Grounding kit. Plenty of members here that have had great results on the auto from installing one.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:35 PM
Robert Reyes
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KidJai06
FWIW adding some additional ground wires in the engine bay can sometimes help with shift response. You can buy a ground wire set which is fairly expensive compared to following the DIY's on this forum. I added them to my G a couple years ago and while the improvement was marginal, when talking about 1 second any help is positive. I think I ordered 25ft of 8g wire, braided sleeving, copper terminals, and heat shrink from Amazon all for about $30. Its easy to pay $100+ from companies to pre-make them for you.
Thank you thats real helpfull i will take it to my tune shop in my area👍🏼. So i can understand it better why would adding grounding kit would help with response?
Old 05-31-2019, 03:28 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Reyes
So i can understand it better why would adding grounding kit would help with response?
It's probably best summed up this way from this DIY thread https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-your-own.html as debate erupted over its efficacy Team STILLEN responded this way:

Originally Posted by Team STILLEN
I think more of what happens with the grounding kit install is it's "fixing" an inherent issue with the car in regards to proper grounds, which does have an impact on the performance of the automatic transmission.

It's been noted by many owners after grounding kit installations that the transmission response and shift times are improved.

It will also aide in an aging vehicle to keep ground connections in tact, and ensure efficiency within the electrical system. Dirt and grime over years can have an impact on performance, this is an easy step to remove that concern.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:38 PM
Robert Reyes
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KidJai06
It's probably best summed up this way from this DIY thread https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-your-own.html as debate erupted over its efficacy Team STILLEN responded this way:
Will i be straight with HKS brand grounding kit? Which cost only $20?
i seen stillen sells them also for $100
https://www.vividracing.com/-p-151103986.html
Old 06-10-2019, 11:07 AM
Conboss
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Built my own grounding kit with 25ft of 6g wire and some connectors. The response was marginally better, my car will take it’s sweet time shifting up close to redline (happened yesterday, scared the hell outa me when it stalled!!)
Old 06-13-2019, 09:55 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
i wonder if just cleaning the oem points and sanding the terminals and bolt area would yeild the same results as a grounding kit
Old 06-14-2019, 10:15 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by saywat?
i wonder if just cleaning the oem points and sanding the terminals and bolt area would yeild the same results as a grounding kit
I think this is a good point and one thats often overlooked as people tend to install the grounding kit on these cars once they have been driven for a while and these grounds are in need of maintenance. that being said, one issue I found was that he OEM gorunds in a lot of places are made of such small gauge wire (eye balling them, they look like 22 gauge or something in that range) some of them just break off and even if they don't brake they could probably benefit from a heavier gauge wire. Also in a few instances (say the throttle bodies, theres just no OEM ground so it benefits that way too.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:35 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
It won't help my car since it's been this way since day one. Never asked for ECU updates because I didn't want to lose the strong engine braking.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:17 AM
Robert Reyes
Registered Member

ANYONE can post link if grounding kit that would work i seen on amazon for around $20-30. Who ever bought from amazon or ebay or other page please post here. Nothing more the $40