G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Way to turn off car from Accessory-Only mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:51 PM
jhn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way to turn off car from Accessory-Only mode?

This push-button start seems rather impractical. One is unable to go from Engine-on to Accessory-Only mode (e.g., pulling into driveway and wanting to hear the end of an interview on the radio is impossible without leaving the engine running wasting gas). And if one wants to just turn on the accessories to briefly get the score from a game or something, does one have to turn on the engine to turn off the car--which would cause needless engine wear and wasting of gas?
Old 02-14-2010, 07:35 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jhn
This push-button start seems rather impractical. One is unable to go from Engine-on to Accessory-Only mode (e.g., pulling into driveway and wanting to hear the end of an interview on the radio is impossible without leaving the engine running wasting gas). And if one wants to just turn on the accessories to briefly get the score from a game or something, does one have to turn on the engine to turn off the car--which would cause needless engine wear and wasting of gas?

Just press the power button again. No need to start the car.

So you drive in. Push button to power off. Then push button once or twice (only, without the brake depressed) to get the radio back on. Finish listening to what you were listening to,then push button only to turn off.

I agree it would be nice to turn off and be in accessory mode, but I'm not sure of any push button start design like that.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:39 PM
jhn

Just so I'm clear: If accessory mode is on and I press the Button, the car will turn off accessory mode? I think in the Toyota hybrids, pressing the Button when accessory mode is on starts the engine (even if one isn't pressing brake). Is the G different than this?

To solve accessory mode problem, One Idea might be to have car only turn off if your foot is on the brake. So if car is on and you press Button with foot off brake, you go to accessory mode. And then after interview can press Button again with foot off brake to turn off car completely.

Just an idea.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:51 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you press the button twice it should go straight to the ACC without disrupting the system. it does on mine at least.... I do it all the time cause I'm always on the phone in my car.

another way you can try is if you're "on," pressing the button again under the following circumstances will yield different results.
1: car is in P. indicator will be in the off (open the door goes to lock)
when the car is "off" you can still open windows and shut them
2: car is in N/D. The engine will be off but the car will still be active so that you can shift the car into P without having to restart the car.

the push button ignition system is a forward sequential, but each step doesn't have to activate.

let me know if works for you.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:52 PM
mw09g37

Originally Posted by jhn
Just so I'm clear: If accessory mode is on and I press the Button, the car will turn off accessory mode? I think in the Toyota hybrids, pressing the Button when accessory mode is on starts the engine (even if one isn't pressing brake). Is the G different than this?

To solve accessory mode problem, One Idea might be to have car only turn off if your foot is on the brake. So if car is on and you press Button with foot off brake, you go to accessory mode. And then after interview can press Button again with foot off brake to turn off car completely.
all of the buttons are the same actually. any more complicated would require switches. (ie you can't turn left with just your rear wheel.) that's why your remote has a lock and an unlock. theoretically you can just have one button and cycle the crap out of the locking mech, that's kind of retarded.

yeah as long as your foot it off of the brake the car will go from ACC to on(no engine) and then to off.
the ACC mode gets bypassed to ON if you have your foot on the brake (engine start)
foot off the brake goes to ACC mode.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with your assessment...they take something that used to be so simple and have made it very difficult.

Here's a little trick to fix the problem (same as described by mw09g37 above) ....when you pull in, simply do two very quick pushes of the starter button to stop the engine and keep the radio on with no interruptions. The doors will remain locked until you do another two pushes to stop the system completely. Lots of work, but it's better than stopping everything and re-lighting the radio on ACC.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:18 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
It's lots of work to push a button twice?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:38 PM
mw09g37

this is probably the first time I've ever heard of someone not liking the pushbutton starter actually... lol I've loved it since my s2000.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Gazan37
Banned

^^^ Just press it twice quickly and u go to accessory only mode.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:20 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver37
I agree with your assessment...they take something that used to be so simple and have made it very difficult.

....when you pull in, simply do two very quick pushes of the starter button to stop the engine and keep the radio on with no interruptions.
I didn't realize two QUICK pushes from an idling engine would kill the engine and not kill the radio. Sometimes I'm listening to a program and don't want to miss a word, so this is good info! I've been pressing it with a second pause between pushes. Thanks!

Last edited by TinsleyC; 02-15-2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: fix qoute
Old 02-14-2010, 11:49 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

me too - I love having the key in my pocket at all times, no jangling, no scratching the steering column trim, etc. I now get into my Honda minivan and automatically start trying to press the blank dash until I remember I have to use a key. Makes me feel like a caveman, like I'm rubbing two sticks together to start the car.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:25 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
me too - I love having the key in my pocket at all times, no jangling, no scratching the steering column trim, etc. I now get into my Honda minivan and automatically start trying to press the blank dash until I remember I have to use a key. Makes me feel like a caveman, like I'm rubbing two sticks together to start the car.
Couldn't agree more! I almost never use the key FOB for anything. The pushbutton locks on the doors are just as awesome IMO.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Mockenrue

Pushing the button quickly twice to turn off the car will even keep a bluetooth hands-free call alive. The only hard part about turning on acc mode from a stop is remembering to keep your foot off the break! Not an easy habit to break sometimes.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:12 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

The hidden danger, if you could call it that, is forgetting to push the correct number of times on the button to get it out of acc mode - if you go one to many, say you do it ina hurry and forget to notice that you've gone one past 'off', then you might return to a dead battery. I actually did that one time. Side story is that I waited for like an hour for Infiniti roadside service, and I live in a good size town (100k + pop.) and then finally called a friend for a jump. 1.5 hours later, I'm started but still no roadside service. Glad I wasn't in bad weather with kids. I have had much better roadside service with GM, AAA and Shelter insurance.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:53 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
The hidden danger, if you could call it that, is forgetting to push the correct number of times on the button to get it out of acc mode - if you go one to many, say you do it ina hurry and forget to notice that you've gone one past 'off', then you might return to a dead battery.
That would be two more pushes to get out of ACC to full "OFF", correct? One push to get to "ON" mode, and one more to get to "OFF"

BTW, I tried two quick pushes when idling and the radio never missed a beat! I love this forum...

Quick Reply: Way to turn off car from Accessory-Only mode?