Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help G37X 2011 Sedan - Limp mode + code

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 08:51 AM
Holy Chris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry G37X 2011 Sedan - Limp mode + code

Hi Folks,
I am a new member on the forum, I register because I have a problem with my "new" car. I will probably stay in the forum as long as have the car after anyways.
I am a long car buyers from Nissan (240sx with SR20DET Engine (Father is a mechanic so it help to do the swap at that time), Nissan 350Z 2008, and got my first G37 2011.
So here is the problem, I bought the car 6 month ago from a friend that is pretty good in mechanic.
So I told myself, the car is clean, I will have no problem and I trust the guy so ... let's buy this and have fun.

Now the car is stuck at 2500 RPM without any check engine.
Disconnect the battery, the car is back to normal until the oil is hot and after this get back to the limp mode again

I have bought a EBD2 machine and got the "hidden code" from it and I have 3 codes in the permanent bank.
  1. P0011 Camshafts Position - timing over- Advanced or System bank 1
  2. P0524 Engine Oil Pressure to Low
  3. P0021 - P0011 Camshafts Position - timing over - Advanced or System bank 2
So far, I changed the Timing Control Solenoid Camshaft Variable valve, and the problem is still present.

I made some search on the internet and it is looking like the timing galley gasket, but, when I take the oil pressure I have :

40psi at Idle, 65psi at 2500 rpm and 80 at 3000 after it's over 100psi.. (but cut a 3500rpm ..)

Is somebody can give me his opinion on this, it would be very much appreciated,
Many thanks in advance,
Cheers,

Old 03-06-2019, 02:30 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Just so you know if you don't already, bank one is the passenger side. You might need to replace the control units on both sides.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:55 PM
Holy Chris

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Just so you know if you don't already, bank one is the passenger side. You might need to replace the control units on both sides.
I didn't know it.
You think it might only be the 2 controllers ?
Old 03-07-2019, 02:16 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I haven't experienced this trouble and only skim posts about them, so I can't really advise. You'll have to browse this particular forum or serach it.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:32 PM
Holy Chris

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I haven't experienced this trouble and only skim posts about them, so I can't really advise. You'll have to browse this particular forum or serach it.
Thanks ! I appreciate the honesty, I looked around in the forum and most of the people ask at first

1) change battery
2) change oil
3) change sensors
4) open the top and look for sprocket of the intake
5) Gallery gasket job.

Several people had the Gallery Gasket done and change the failed carton one to a metal one. This is a very very ****ty job because if I understand well, I need to remove all the front of the car. It's pretty tricky because of the radiator and air conditioning module that is there. The simple way looks to cut the A/C metal oses, and I really don't like that ...

Cheers,
Old 03-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Paul_G37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would not jump into doing the gasket until you've eliminated the other possibilities.

I'm in the midst of doing the galley gaskets. I'm no expert by any means, but using the FSM + the awesome people on this site I've made great progress. I decided not to remove the rad, I simply tilted it open, like a door (check my pics here https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ey-gasket.html).

I know there are a lot of threads about this, you'll just need to take the time to read through them.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:21 PM
Holy Chris

Battery , sensors changed still got the problem

Hi folks,
I have changed so far :
  1. OEM Timing Control Solenoid Engine Camshaft Variable Valve for Nissan & Infiniti
  2. Battery
  3. Oil pressure sensor
I know for a fact that the oil pressure is good at least until 3500 rpm.
I saw the other thread that Paul changed the gasket and got the same problem as me now. so ... any Idea what it could be other than the gasket ?

A+

Old 03-19-2019, 07:54 PM
Paul_G37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Holy Chris
Hi folks,
I have changed so far :
  1. OEM Timing Control Solenoid Engine Camshaft Variable Valve for Nissan & Infiniti
  2. Battery
  3. Oil pressure sensor
I know for a fact that the oil pressure is good at least until 3500 rpm.
I saw the other thread that Paul changed the gasket and got the same problem as me now. so ... any Idea what it could be other than the gasket ?

A+
$30 solenoid? OEM is $200, just saying. Might not want to cheap out on this part as you might have to change it again sooner than later.

Did you change both solenoids?
Did you check the cam sensors? Make sure they're not gummed up.

Did you clear the codes and the same ones came back?

Both banks throwing codes is not a good sign IMHO, I could be wrong though.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:27 PM
antcapp7
Registered Member

hey guys new here and i have a 2010 g37x sedan, same problem 3500 then limp, gettin a p0081 code for intake valve solenoid, going to change it thursday , but wondering what fixed your problem? was your oil pressure good? i hope it wasnt the galley gasket.
im gettin good battery voltage, good connections, and when testing the current solenoid to power it does work, thinking when the car warms up the solenoid jams? dont know if thats possible but a thought. car did have a rodent issue before i bought it but the chewed wires where fixed very well and spliced by infiniti, and seem to all look good. please help.