Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Major drive belt failure only 500 miles after dealer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Justbraun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major drive belt failure only 500 miles after dealer replacement

Hey all, this is my first post, and I come here because im at a loss with how to proceed. I have a 2011 g37x sedan that just went in for it’s 100k service while I was in Chicago. Infiniti Dealer did plug maintenance and fluid flushes as well as a replacement of my accessory drive belt for preventative maintenance. Drove it almost 300 miles home and start to hear a grinding noise from the acc belt that week. Scheduled an appt at the same dealer to have them check it out next week, but as I was driving around town today I heard a loud clunk, and that was the belt completely coming off the pulleys. I shut the car off and parked it immediately, then had it towed to the closest dealer, a nissan dealer that was still 50 miles away. They told me a pulley (still waiting on more information as to which one) was so loose it came off and destroyed the front engine cover, and took out the new belt. The dealer I JUST had service on the car is refusing to take responsibility for this. I know things happen, but in the entire year and 55k I’ve owned the G for, there has never been so much as a peep from the drive belt or pulleys. To anyone with more mechanical experiance then me: is it possible the dealer didn’t re-assemble the system correctly or damaged it while swapping the belt? I was only about a week and 500 miles into the new belt before the failure. Thanks so much everyone.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:33 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Contact corporate and file a complaint against dealer and get them to pay
Old 02-15-2018, 11:35 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
There is a tensioner with indicators on it that should show if it needs replaced. It could be it was outside the range and should have been replaced

Pictures here:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-09-g37-4.html
Old 02-15-2018, 12:16 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't replace the tensioner and idler pulleys the same time the belt was done. At 100K miles it's highly recommended. Also, manipulating the tensioner assembly to change belts could have damaged it. Specifically, the tensioner is at one position most of the time. To get the belt off, it has to be moved against the internal spring to relieve tension. As the tensioner ages, spring weakens and may no long provide adequate tension (see link above).

This of course has nothing to do with a pulley coming off, but that too is not unheard of. There was a post here not too long ago about the exact same issue.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...e-driving.html

I suppose it's important to check all idler pulley bolts when replacing a belt (along with checking the pulleys themselves for grinding/binding/restrictive rotation).

So, is it entirely the dealer's fault..... hard to say. Did they recommend replacing the pulleys and you declined? Was this fields or someone else?
Old 02-15-2018, 12:30 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Justbraun
Hey all, this is my first post, and I come here because im at a loss with how to proceed. I have a 2011 g37x sedan that just went in for it’s 100k service while I was in Chicago. Infiniti Dealer did plug maintenance and fluid flushes as well as a replacement of my accessory drive belt for preventative maintenance. Drove it almost 300 miles home and start to hear a grinding noise from the acc belt that week. Scheduled an appt at the same dealer to have them check it out next week, but as I was driving around town today I heard a loud clunk, and that was the belt completely coming off the pulleys. I shut the car off and parked it immediately, then had it towed to the closest dealer, a nissan dealer that was still 50 miles away. They told me a pulley (still waiting on more information as to which one) was so loose it came off and destroyed the front engine cover, and took out the new belt. The dealer I JUST had service on the car is refusing to take responsibility for this. I know things happen, but in the entire year and 55k I’ve owned the G for, there has never been so much as a peep from the drive belt or pulleys. To anyone with more mechanical experiance then me: is it possible the dealer didn’t re-assemble the system correctly or damaged it while swapping the belt? I was only about a week and 500 miles into the new belt before the failure. Thanks so much everyone.
Shyt happens!

Did you ever speak to the service manager at the dealer that did the work?

Hopefully you paid by credit card so dispute the charge with your credit card company for poor workmanship and request a charge-back.
Have the vehicle towed to another Infiniti dealer. AAA provides 200 mile free towing.

Telcoman
Old 02-15-2018, 12:42 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

^^How did you determine the OP has AAA?

This type of failure would be hard to prove it was poor workmanship. The car did drive for 300 miles prior to failure. No significant parts come off to change the belt - coolant reservoir, maybe lower cover. But these have nothing to do with the failure that occurred.

PS. You haven't refueled in 2 months??
Old 02-15-2018, 01:45 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I could see a mechanic cranking a pulley loose to make ease of access better to change the belt or as a shortcut or by mistake instead of turning the tensioner and forgetting to re tighten it or not tightening it enough... the 500 miles doesn't seem that far fetched as the amount of time it took before it finally let go...
Old 02-15-2018, 01:51 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

You have a point. I recall one of these threads mentioning removal of a particular pulley does make it easier to r&r the belt. I think the OP has an uphill battle here.

Reason enough to do your own maintenance if at all possible. If I screw up I have have myself to blame.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:02 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Reason enough to do your own maintenance if at all possible. If I screw up I have have myself to blame.
totally agree...I'm the only one looking up my girl's skirt!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:23 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Purchased new belt a couple days ago (it has not arrived yet)... But all these pulley threads made me buy the tensioner and the 3 idler pulleys today.