Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review Intake & Tune - Let's see how this goes....

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 09:53 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Intake & Tune - Let's see how this goes....

On July 24th I have an appointment with seb at specialty z to install and tune via ecutek a Takeda Cai. I'm going to have seb do a baseline dyno where my only mod is an ark grip exhaust. Then after the cai is installed, I'm going to have a dyno done untuned, then tuned with ecutek to see if 1. If the Takeda is near as good as the g3's and 2. See what an ecutek tune can do for me over the stock tune with the cai. My car is a 2010 g37 sedan with 7at. I'm doing this because I have not seen any threads where someone has a near stock car that has the Takeda cai installed then dynoed, then tuned on the same dyno the same day. I figured this could help out the community a little by showing how these sort of mods can or can't perform. I'm curious to see just what seb can get from my car, he tuned my 370 a while ago with g3's and berk catback via Uprev and got 308whp and in the high 240wtq. I'm not expecting these numbers at all, but I'm hoping for a decent gain over baseline. I will provide my impression of the results and hopefully the dyno so ya'll can see.

Impression:
The first thing I noticed about my car was that it had a much more clean vq purr. The car sounds great! On my hour drive home I noticed the car has noticeably more pull at every rpm, even in 104f Temps. The idle hang that some people have complained about is nonexistent on my 7at. Seb was even curious how the lean behavior of the car coming back to idle in a 7at would act as he has never tuned a 7at car with ecutek before. Even though seb wound up leaving the throttle tables alone, the throttle response is greatly improved. One problem we encountered was that seb altered the throttle tables to which the car didn't like at all. The car would not even move. So seb put the tables back to stock and a was well.

Numbers:
Baseline : 270whp 220wtq (third gear)
Tuned: 280whp 235wtq (third gear)
Final run: 295whp 251wtq (fourth gear)
Dyno sheet on page 3 of this thread.

Last edited by conkus805; 07-24-2014 at 11:25 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by conkus805:
Mak34 (07-13-2014), MidlifeCrisis (07-08-2014), the_wolff (09-14-2015), twin_snails (07-16-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 11:34 AM
MidlifeCrisis
Not a cheap hobby to have

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Subscribed. Thinking about getting this intake, thanks for doing this!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:59 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

No problem! I have searched a ton but there is very little info on this site about this intake. Everybody has opinions on whether the g3 is better or the Takeda is better, but there is no good dyno threads on the Takeda while there are tons on the g3. A baseline, intake plus stock tune, and tuned with intake will be performed on the dyno. This will hopefully give good info for future owners to make an educated choice of which intake will work for them. Also, all runs on the dyno will be the same day on the same dyno so there will be as much consistency in the numbers as possible.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
My 1st mod was the takeda long tube CAI. I haven't got any dyno info to share with you sadly.....But I can tell you that it took my 37 vert to a whole new level. Instead of the semi-fast car that I had before the mod, all of the sudden It was actually able to pump some adrenaline (scared my brother-in-law lmao)! Great mod in my opinion and very sexy under the hood. Super easy to install. I'm extremely happy with that purchase.
The following users liked this post:
conkus805 (07-11-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 04:09 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
you'll see almost the same numbers, My Takeda's and GEN 3's made the same power, I UPREV both times, I had ECUTEK sitting on my table for 4+ weeks and the tuner took a spfly so I returned it and no back to UPREV. But I made 300 WHP and 233 WHTQ 7SPD also but X coupe.

I'm Using Motion Lab in NC and doing Etunes( Sedan now) on my first revision of the base tune now. Once done I'll be back at the dyno with my sedan. Same cat back as my coupe but Z1 tubes and drop-ins this time for intakes. We'll see
Old 07-10-2014, 05:17 PM
MidlifeCrisis

Good to hear the positive statements about the Takeda. I was going to probably get the R2C's because my car WAS a daily driver, didn't feel like dealing with the hassle of cleaning the filter because of its location. Also, I was worried about rain soaking the filter I drive over 100 miles daily. My job is giving me a company truck so now I'll be able to get all the mods I want done CAI, lowering, etc. My G will be a Garage Queen :-).

Question: Would gains be different between a sedan and coupe?
Old 07-11-2014, 02:09 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
you'll see almost the same numbers, My Takeda's and GEN 3's made the same power, I UPREV both times, I had ECUTEK sitting on my table for 4+ weeks and the tuner took a spfly so I returned it and no back to UPREV. But I made 300 WHP and 233 WHTQ 7SPD also but X coupe.

I'm Using Motion Lab in NC and doing Etunes( Sedan now) on my first revision of the base tune now. Once done I'll be back at the dyno with my sedan. Same cat back as my coupe but Z1 tubes and drop-ins this time for intakes. We'll see
Yeah, I read that thread on the dynotronics ecutek group buy. There was a lot of negative stuff on there about the vendor and speculation that ecutek is forgetting about the vhr platform. From what I have read, EcuTek is still working on our platform and I'm taking the dive for the greater good of this forum. The only little problem that ecutek has right now is the car advancing timing itself when coming back to idle, seb at specialty z said it was not harmful and only makes the idle hang a little before settling. We'll see how it goes, I'm hoping for some positive things to report back.

Last edited by conkus805; 07-11-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:13 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MidlifeCrisis
Good to hear the positive statements about the Takeda. I was going to probably get the R2C's because my car WAS a daily driver, didn't feel like dealing with the hassle of cleaning the filter because of its location. Also, I was worried about rain soaking the filter I drive over 100 miles daily. My job is giving me a company truck so now I'll be able to get all the mods I want done CAI, lowering, etc. My G will be a Garage Queen :-).

Question: Would gains be different between a sedan and coupe?
I don't think the gains would be any different, the part numbers for the sedan and coupe are identical thus eliminating any variance in parts. Coupe might gain a tiny bit more due to a less restrictive exhaust, but we're talking very low single digit whp. Pretty negligible.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:10 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Subbed for updates.

I'm currently running the Takeda CAI. Breathing is very dramatically improved. With stock intakes, if you were in a tight traffic situation and had to floor it, the breathing was asthmatic at the upper end (6,500 rpm - redline) and with the CAI, it feels like it could rip right through the rev limiter and keep going.

Thanks for doing the dyno's for the forum with the Takeda and also on the ECUtek. I'm not tuned yet and have been debating between UPRev and ECUtek.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:32 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
This should be awesome and serve the community!

Thank you sir.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:36 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

No problem! going to specialty z tomorrow to make sure ecutek has my rom in their database. I will update when I get my install and tune next week. Let's hope for some decent numbers. Thanks to the mods for changing my thread title to something more specific, my title sucked.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:11 AM
MidlifeCrisis

Takeda intake is in my shopping cart and I have my mouse pointer hovered over the "check out" button eagerly waiting for results

I must say you are very patient, I don't know if I would have been able to wait. A few weeks is a long time to wait on an install with parts sitting around the house.

Thanks again!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:52 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

I must say, it's been hard to not install myself;-) I have considered it more than once in the past few weeks but I really want to see the results of this install. Only a few more days to go.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Todd Kieffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed for results!
Old 07-23-2014, 12:51 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Ok, so tomorrow is the day. Can anyone tell me how to post pics in a thread? I would like to post some dyno charts showing whatever gains or loses my car gets. Just pm me if you don't mind.

Quick Reply: Review Intake & Tune - Let's see how this goes....