Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review Intake & Tune - Let's see how this goes....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 04:03 AM
MidlifeCrisis
Not a cheap hobby to have

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Takeda installed

So I managed to get a few days off from working in the fields because I came down with a case of Bronchitis and a sinus infection. So while I was sleeping, I get a knock on the door and it happened to be FedEx delivering the Takeda CAI .

Now a normal person would probably stay in bed or on the couch and get as much rest as possible to give the body a better chance of healing faster...Not this guy! So after a few hours of labor, sweating like a pig in my garage, CAI installed as well as a Cusco strut bar.

I only took it for a short drive so I can't speak of any perceived butt dyno gains. I had K&N drop-ins before this so I would imagine that I probably won't feel any gains until a tune. There are two tuners close to me and I'm hoping that I can get a tune within the next few days while on sick leave. If I don't, I fear that my work schedule will delay the tune for quite a while. It's pretty sad that in order to mod my car, I have to come down with some form of illness.

Last edited by MidlifeCrisis; 07-30-2014 at 05:25 AM. Reason: add photos
The following users liked this post:
conkus805 (07-30-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 12:19 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Engine bay looking good !
Old 02-02-2015, 03:30 PM
MidlifeCrisis

Conkus805...I have an appointment to get an Uprev tune on the 17 of Feb. Would you like me to post results here or did you want to leave this thread for the Ecutek and Takeda only?

My current mods that should effect the outcome:
Fast Intentions RHFC's & SS CBE
PST Carbon fiber driveshaft
Takeda CAI
...and I'll have Uprev instead of Ecutek
Old 02-02-2015, 04:56 PM
beers64

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by MidlifeCrisis
Conkus805...I have an appointment to get an Uprev tune on the 17 of Feb. Would you like me to post results here or did you want to leave this thread for the Ecutek and Takeda only?

My current mods that should effect the outcome:
Fast Intentions RHFC's & SS CBE
PST Carbon fiber driveshaft
Takeda CAI
...and I'll have Uprev instead of Ecutek
I'm trying to currently decide if I'm going uprev or ecutek. Can I ask why you decided to go uprev instead?
Old 02-02-2015, 06:36 PM
MidlifeCrisis

Originally Posted by beers64
I'm trying to currently decide if I'm going uprev or ecutek. Can I ask why you decided to go uprev instead?

Reasons I decided to go with Uprev:

1. JMS racing is the performance shop that I get my work done at. The tuner is very familiar with Uprev and has a good reputation. I decided that for installations and work that I couldn't do myself, I would want only 1 performance shop to touch my ride. In the event something happens to go wrong with my car, they are more likely to diagnose the problem quickly and accurately since they have done most of the installs on my aftermarket parts. Plus, one of the partners/employees was a former Infiniti mechanic/tech and he knows his trade.

2. There aren't any reputable Ecutek tuners close by (that I know of). I read a couple of bad reviews about an Ecutek tuner where I live (the shop and the tuner, not the software) that is close to me. I just don't feel like driving over a 1000 miles to get a tune. 2nd option would be a tune through the mail or over the phone, this just doesn't sound appealing to me. I would have to pay my shop for dyno time and the tuner wherever he may be. I'd rather have the tuner place his hands on my ride and get up close and personal with it (that didn't sound right, don't get the wrong idea .

3. Correct me if I'm wrong but, Fast Intentions uses Uprev to tune their kits (something that I'm planning on getting in about a year). If that is what they use, why would I do different? I plan on buying the license so later on I'll have a small charge for the re-tune when I get the TT.

4. Uprev is less expensive.

5. In the event something goes wrong with the tune or my ride, JMS racing is basically around the corner. I wouldn't have to ship my car, wait weeks for an appointment, or try to diagnose a problem over the phone. This is a huge plus in my book.

6. Uprev has map switching that can be done quickly through the cruise control buttons. The thought of having a few different maps seems like a good idea to me.

Now don't get me wrong, I believe Ecutek is a "stand up" product that has proven itself and has huge potential. For my circumstances, location, future mods, etc., Uprev seems to be the better choice for me.

If anyone sees any faulty thinking or notions in the above statements, I'm definitely open to listening to a different viewpoint on why I'm wrong. I'm still learning and would love to hear others viewpoints. I just can't get enough of all this . Actually, cars and modding have turned in to an obsession for me (Thank you, MyG37.com). You know it's bad when you start waking up in the middle of the night and realize that your dreams are filled with cars, wheels, turbos, exhausts, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by MidlifeCrisis:
beers64 (02-03-2015), conkus805 (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 12:04 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

midlife, if you want to post your results feel free. this thread can help others in the future.
MidlifeCrisis (02-08-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 02:14 PM
MidlifeCrisis

I can't wait...just a couple more days until my tune . Question for those of you with the knowledge: Does having an LSD make any difference in the #'s that are measured on the Dyno? My apologies if this is a dumb question, I'm still learning. All my previous cars had visual mods only (I'm fairly new to the performance side of it). I'm a few months away from turning the big 40, I guess better late then never to start learning these things .

Matt (twin_snails)...Did you ever get the Uprev tune? If you did and posted in another thread, can you post a link to it here?
Old 02-14-2015, 09:53 PM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
Lsd won't change hp or torque numbers. The final drive gears will make a difference in torque.
MidlifeCrisis (02-14-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 10:59 PM
MidlifeCrisis

Happy with the results!!!

So... I finally got the tune done and I give it a .

I am extremely happy with the results. I almost didn't get a tune done because my thoughts were "eh, I might get a few hp out of it, is it really worth the money?" Well... I must say now that "YES, it is worth the money!" I never realized how rough my engine was running until today.

Unfortunately...I don't have a baseline to show you folks. The first run on the dyno went up to 229hp and 246tq, I think Jorge let off the throttle early though. This run is not shown on the graph that I got to take a picture of. For the second run (first one in the attached graph), Jorge had loaded a previous tune he had done on another G. Once I saw the peak #'s off of that second run, I must say I was a happy camper. He continued with another 3 runs, with each one it just got better and better. I was a little surprised at the results, I was expecting about 300hp or so (based off of others with bolt on parts only). Even Jorge said that he was surprised with the #'s he got. All of the other G's he had tuned received lower #'s on the dyno.

The car drives sooo much better now. Even if I would have gained 1hp, I still would be happy because of the way it drives now. As for the added power...I can definitely tell (the butt dyno approves). After every bolt on part I install on this vehicle, I do a little "test" to see how much power I gained. I always perform this little "test" on the same road, traction control off, almost WOT from a dead stop. Basically I'm observing tire spin, and all I can say is "WOW!!!" The tune has definitely had a noticeable gain in power. Of course this test is subjective and completely for the benefit of the person that does it and doesn't convey the gains very well over to the reader.

So with out further adieu...on to the results that can give you guys a better idea of my "WOW" experience.

There was a torque spike on the last run, so because of that little glitch, I don't have max torque. If I take the max torque from run 3 and move it to run 5, Then my final numbers are:

Max Power=316.65 Max Torque=256.03

Not too shabby=

Last edited by MidlifeCrisis; 02-17-2015 at 11:03 PM. Reason: correction
The following 2 users liked this post by MidlifeCrisis:
ANMVQ (02-18-2015), beers64 (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 08:57 PM
beers64

So... I finally got the tune done and I give it a .

I am extremely happy with the results. I almost didn't get a tune done because my thoughts were "eh, I might get a few hp out of it, is it really worth the money?" Well... I must say now that "YES, it is worth the money!" I never realized how rough my engine was running until today.

Unfortunately...I don't have a baseline to show you folks. The first run on the dyno went up to 229hp and 246tq, I think Jorge let off the throttle early though. This run is not shown on the graph that I got to take a picture of. For the second run (first one in the attached graph), Jorge had loaded a previous tune he had done on another G. Once I saw the peak #'s off of that second run, I must say I was a happy camper. He continued with another 3 runs, with each one it just got better and better. I was a little surprised at the results, I was expecting about 300hp or so (based off of others with bolt on parts only). Even Jorge said that he was surprised with the #'s he got. All of the other G's he had tuned received lower #'s on the dyno.

The car drives sooo much better now. Even if I would have gained 1hp, I still would be happy because of the way it drives now. As for the added power...I can definitely tell (the butt dyno approves). After every bolt on part I install on this vehicle, I do a little "test" to see how much power I gained. I always perform this little "test" on the same road, traction control off, almost WOT from a dead stop. Basically I'm observing tire spin, and all I can say is "WOW!!!" The tune has definitely had a noticeable gain in power. Of course this test is subjective and completely for the benefit of the person that does it and doesn't convey the gains very well over to the reader.

So with out further adieu...on to the results that can give you guys a better idea of my "WOW" experience.

There was a torque spike on the last run, so because of that little glitch, I don't have max torque. If I take the max torque from run 3 and move it to run 5, Then my final numbers are:

Max Power=316.65 Max Torque=256.03

Not too shabby=

Wow man that's fantastic! Can't wait to get rest of my bolt ons done and finally get the tune!
MidlifeCrisis (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 11:45 PM
MidlifeCrisis

Wow man that's fantastic! Can't wait to get rest of my bolt ons done and finally get the tune!
One of the things I regret is not having done a run on the dyno before I started modding the car. Then do another dyno run after each part I installed. Would have been interesting to see the progression in HP & TQ. I just figured that; the money spent on dyno time would be better spent on the next mod (Oh well). I really want to know how much HP was gained from the CF driveshaft. Jorge at JMS wanted to know this too, though not enough to comp the labor to find out (re-installing old driveshaft, then back to the CF one) .

I would like to get a few opinions from you all on the following. I'm pretty sure what route I'm gonna go already, just curious to hear others thoughts on the following ideas.

I would like to say that I'm done modding for a while. I really, really, really want to save up for the Fast Intentions TT. Though, there are so many things I still want to do to this thing that don't have a $10,000+ price tag on them. Guess I just need to have a zen moment with the car one day and figure out what she wants next. Seriously though, I need to figure out what my next move is for this thing.

I can get the rest of the visual mods I want done first, then save for TT. If I go this route, I'm guessing TT will be about 2.5 to 3.5 years away. Plus, I would get a few years of enjoyment modding all the small details.

Or I can go for the TT first, then visual. This route will take about 1 to 1.5 years to get the TT in my hands. I fear if I go with this option I may never finish this project if I experience problems with the TT. Reading about others experiences just validates that Forced Induction is very good way to deplete your bank account with the chance of being with out your ride for long periods of time. Or everything can go smooth and the car would be a blast to drive. On the other hand: I'm noticing now that when I drive with the traction control off, there is quite a bit of wheel spin in the lower gears (1st & 2nd) and I thought I had decent tires (Michelin AS3's). Is all that TT power necessary? After this tune I am having to make a conscious effort to not get in to the skinny pedal as heavy as I used to in the lower gears. I can only imagine what would happen with TT.

Decisions...Decisions...
Old 02-20-2015, 12:17 AM
beers64

One of the things I regret is not having done a run on the dyno before I started modding the car. Then do another dyno run after each part I installed. Would have been interesting to see the progression in HP & TQ. I just figured that; the money spent on dyno time would be better spent on the next mod (Oh well). I really want to know how much HP was gained from the CF driveshaft. Jorge at JMS wanted to know this too, though not enough to comp the labor to find out (re-installing old driveshaft, then back to the CF one) .

I would like to get a few opinions from you all on the following. I'm pretty sure what route I'm gonna go already, just curious to hear others thoughts on the following ideas.

I would like to say that I'm done modding for a while. I really, really, really want to save up for the Fast Intentions TT. Though, there are so many things I still want to do to this thing that don't have a $10,000+ price tag on them. Guess I just need to have a zen moment with the car one day and figure out what she wants next. Seriously though, I need to figure out what my next move is for this thing.

I can get the rest of the visual mods I want done first, then save for TT. If I go this route, I'm guessing TT will be about 2.5 to 3.5 years away. Plus, I would get a few years of enjoyment modding all the small details.

Or I can go for the TT first, then visual. This route will take about 1 to 1.5 years to get the TT in my hands. I fear if I go with this option I may never finish this project if I experience problems with the TT. Reading about others experiences just validates that Forced Induction is very good way to deplete your bank account with the chance of being with out your ride for long periods of time. Or everything can go smooth and the car would be a blast to drive. On the other hand: I'm noticing now that when I drive with the traction control off, there is quite a bit of wheel spin in the lower gears (1st & 2nd) and I thought I had decent tires (Michelin AS3's). Is all that TT power necessary? After this tune I am having to make a conscious effort to not get in to the skinny pedal as heavy as I used to in the lower gears. I can only imagine what would happen with TT.

Decisions...Decisions...
Honestly I think the TT should wait, finish all the other mods u want first. All that extra power is great but you can only use it in limited amounts legally anyways . Also, over the next few years there's a good chance the kit will decrease in price. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to beef up or save up to beef up your internals as well so when u do get it you can run a bit more boost. And maybe in the mean time you can also research and find a way to stick all that extra power down to the wheels and street.

Also, random question, which driveshaft do u have in? I'm assuming one piece. And is it for the mt or at?
MidlifeCrisis (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 06:42 PM
MidlifeCrisis

Also, random question, which driveshaft do u have in? I'm assuming one piece. And is it for the mt or at?
PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft for the 7AT. It is a one piece. They have them for the manual as well. If you decide to order one, I suggest you take out yours and measure first and give them the dimensions. Also, there was some conflicting info on if the flex disc (rubber dampener) should be left in or not. You can read about my experience with it here:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...-at-coupe.html

I had a few issues with the installation, though with the end result, I am happy. PST was very professional and made everything right. I would definitely recommend them.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:06 PM
beers64

PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft for the 7AT. It is a one piece. They have them for the manual as well. If you decide to order one, I suggest you take out yours and measure first and give them the dimensions. Also, there was some conflicting info on if the flex disc (rubber dampener) should be left in or not. You can read about my experience with it here:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...-at-coupe.html

I had a few issues with the installation, though with the end result, I am happy. PST was very professional and made everything right. I would definitely recommend them.
OK I'll look into it, thanks for that info. I have the 5at, so I'll check into all that.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:26 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

nice numbers midlife!
MidlifeCrisis (02-21-2015)

Quick Reply: Review Intake & Tune - Let's see how this goes....