Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review Intake & Tune - Let's see how this goes....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 03:12 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
[QUOTE=MidlifeCrisis;3804957]Oh BTW...when I got my Fast Intentions installed at JMS racing in San Antonio I had the pleasure of seeing a 370 Nismo Z with a Fast Intentions Twin Turbo installed. Funny thing is, by looking at it you could barely tell that it was a TT. Looked like a CAI installed, all the goodies were hidden. A buddy of mine was drooling all over it. Antonio from JMS racing told me the customer had to wait a year and a half to receive it. Was told that they put down 620whp!

Yeah, that fi tt kit is the real deal. I would love that kit on my car, I got the cash but the "better half" would slit my throat in my sleep if I spent that kind of money on a car. Lol
Old 07-26-2014, 08:39 PM
DAsavage211

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any one have have the nismo cai intake? been searching but unable to locate one on g37 but reviews mostly on 370z

Nismo JDM R Tune Dual Cold Air Intake System CAI 16576-RNZ38 - Infiniti G37
Old 07-26-2014, 09:52 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DAsavage211
any one have have the nismo cai intake? been searching but unable to locate one on g37 but reviews mostly on 370z

That's not a cai, it's a short ram and will get heat soaked. If you want an intake just get the Takeda or stillen Cai, proven gains.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:15 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by DAsavage211

most people here use the R2C for short ram intakes.

also:

"Application: 350Z 2007-2009 VQ35HR engine, G37 Coupe 2008+ (Heatshield will not work)"
so it seems that it was made for the 350z VQ35HR engines

haven't even heard of that one.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:48 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by conkus805
Twin, you should come back and report your results in this thread. The power increase is definitely noticeable at all rpms and makes the car feel l like it should from the factory, it even sounds different. At this time there is no ability for tuners to add maps like Uprev so your stuck with your tuned map for now. Seb did not adjust the trans at all, I really didn't want to change anything because I like how it shifts. The extra torque is just wonderful, it was something that my car was lacking. Oh and twin, my car is a 7at. So I got almost 300 at the wheels with intake exhaust and ecutek tune. Not too shabby.
I definitely will post once I get the tune, which I cannot wait for! Really? I wouldn't have thought that a tune would make it sound appreciably different. Yeah I like really like the stuff I've heard about ECUTek but Tony over at Jotech convinced me to go with UPRev because that's primarily what they specialize in. We talked about adjusting the TCM module to make the shifts a little quicker and harder (yes, I know...one of the thigns that most people complain about in the 7AT thread). That cool, but ECUTek does have the ability to adjust the trans, yes?

That's pretty awesome to hear about the torque and your numbers are pretty nice and solid!
Old 07-26-2014, 10:59 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by MidlifeCrisis
Conkus: Awesome gains brother! I would have logged in to see results yesterday...but I had my FI CBE and RHFC's installed yesterday morning and all I did was drive around all day! Once I went home after running some BS errand, I would find another excuse to get back in the G and drive around. I will definitely be ordering the Takeda CAI. I'm not sure if there is any good ECUtek tuners around San Antonio so I might have to go with Uprev in Austin.

Twin_Snails: Get ready for some fun with the FI goodies! Much easier to spin the tires after install. Be prepared for some extra noise though.
I had it installed today buddy Let me just say that my experience with it mirrors yours. I looked for a BS errand to run tonight so I could be back in the G. I went non-resonated and it's very very deep and loud.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:52 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

Originally Posted by twin_snails
I definitely will post once I get the tune, which I cannot wait for! Really? I wouldn't have thought that a tune would make it sound appreciably different. Yeah I like really like the stuff I've heard about ECUTek but Tony over at Jotech convinced me to go with UPRev because that's primarily what they specialize in. We talked about adjusting the TCM module to make the shifts a little quicker and harder (yes, I know...one of the thigns that most people complain about in the 7AT thread). That cool, but ECUTek does have the ability to adjust the trans, yes?

That's pretty awesome to hear about the torque and your numbers are pretty nice and solid!
Thanks I talked to seb about the trans maps and ecutek does have some ability to work with the 7at but I like how my transmission acts so I left it alone. Funny because seb was trying to convince me to use Uprev as well, but all the threads I read about ecutek people were raving about the midrange torque gains. Right now ecutek is more expensive but when they come out with all the features they plan for it will be a better tuning solution. Good luck with whichever tuning solution you use and please, post up your numbers I want to see.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:18 AM
MidlifeCrisis
Not a cheap hobby to have

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
I had it installed today buddy Let me just say that my experience with it mirrors yours. I looked for a BS errand to run tonight so I could be back in the G. I went non-resonated and it's very very deep and loud.

Did you notice your exhaust getting louder the more you drove it? Maybe it was just my imagination, but after driving about 110 miles that day, it seemed noticeably louder.

Now go get that tune!!! I have the Takeda being delivered Tuesday and I'll try to get tuned as soon as possible (work schedule permitting). It would be nice to have a thread with more than one dyno chart for the Takeda.

Anyone know who the best Uprev tuner in Texas is? I wonder if it's best to go to Uprev's headquarters in Austin for the tune or try and find a particular tuner that uses Uprev.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:15 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Glover998
So you gained 10 whp out of your Takeda's ?! hummm .. Stillen puts 50% more of that!
Minimum 15 whp !!

Not to bash on your setup but i'm just saying ...
I don't understand why everyone says both Takeda and Stillen put the same whp !
People making decisions by these reviews so ..

Because they do . I made 298 WHP on Stillen gen 3's and made 295 untuned .
I was sitting at 297 with my Takedas untuned . We know the tuning won't give you huge gains up top it's all in the midrange .
The following users liked this post:
conkus805 (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 09:20 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

It's not ECUTECK that gives the midrange power it's your tuner. If he's confident enough to play with the VVEL . I almost wen sideways to today leaving a toll both went 3/4 throttle and the rears jumped out. Yea the ground was wet but I have a X sedan and never had that happen before on my old NA tune . Strait line and 3/4 and have the rear swing ??
Running my 2nd revision from Motion lab , 99% done I need to get 2 4 gear pulls on this map then load his 3rd revision get the logs and send it back and I'm done !
I maybe at the dyno this Saturday for my numbers!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:53 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
It's not ECUTECK that gives the midrange power it's your tuner. If he's confident enough to play with the VVEL . I almost wen sideways to today leaving a toll both went 3/4 throttle and the rears jumped out. Yea the ground was wet but I have a X sedan and never had that happen before on my old NA tune . Strait line and 3/4 and have the rear swing ??
Running my 2nd revision from Motion lab , 99% done I need to get 2 4 gear pulls on this map then load his 3rd revision get the logs and send it back and I'm done !
I maybe at the dyno this Saturday for my numbers!
are you using ECUTEK or Osiris?

Tuners in my area use Osiris and Im concerned with ppl claiming better results with the ECUTEK due to the "cam/valve timing".
Old 07-27-2014, 10:30 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Originally Posted by alfredo24pr

Tuners in my area use Osiris and Im concerned with ppl claiming better results with the ECUTEK due to the "cam/valve timing".
And don't forget , total control over ignition timing. For our cars this is a big deal.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:51 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by alfredo24pr

UPREV I have both Oriris and Ciper on my laptop.
That's exactly why their claiming it . My tuner IS adjusting the cam/timing on my tune . It's just on ECUTEK the table to control the VVEL is easier to use UPREVs is a difficult table to understand. Learned that just in conversations with tuners for each side .

Yes ECUTEK is claiming total control over the timing, but why are they having issues with it advancing on its own?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
UPREV I have both Oriris and Ciper on my laptop.
That's exactly why their claiming it . My tuner IS adjusting the cam/timing on my tune . It's just on ECUTEK the table to control the VVEL is easier to use UPREVs is a difficult table to understand. Learned that just in conversations with tuners for each side .

Yes ECUTEK is claiming total control over the timing, but why are they having issues with it advancing on its own?
The timing only advances when the car is coming back down to idle, and it results in a little bit of idle hang before it settles. It has no adverse affects on drivability nor is it harmful to the engine. It's just something ecutek needs to work out but there are not many logs of the event happening. On my 7at sedan it is not noticeable at all, it is noticeable in Mt cars tho. The Nissan timing strategies on this car are confusing, I wouldn't be surprised if it is an easy fix once ecutek sees more logs of the timing advancing.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:16 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by MidlifeCrisis
Did you notice your exhaust getting louder the more you drove it? Maybe it was just my imagination, but after driving about 110 miles that day, it seemed noticeably louder.

Now go get that tune!!! I have the Takeda being delivered Tuesday and I'll try to get tuned as soon as possible (work schedule permitting). It would be nice to have a thread with more than one dyno chart for the Takeda.

Anyone know who the best Uprev tuner in Texas is? I wonder if it's best to go to Uprev's headquarters in Austin for the tune or try and find a particular tuner that uses Uprev.
I haven't noticed yet if it's getting louder yet. Haha, I will. It will probably be at the end of August before I get it though. I will share it with y'all when I get it done.

You'll like the Takeda. It was a biatch to install and align properly.

I don't know about who the best in Texas is but Thomas at Jotech in the Dallas area is the master of Uprev that I'm aware of. He will be tuning my car.
The following users liked this post:
conkus805 (07-28-2014)

Quick Reply: Review Intake & Tune - Let's see how this goes....